Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball America's New Top 25 Prospect List includes Bailey, Bruce

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Baseball America's New Top 25 Prospect List includes Bailey, Bruce

I believe it was Alex Gordon if memory serves me correct.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    I believe it was Alex Gordon if memory serves me correct.
    Drew is #1. Gordon is #5.

Ahh, yes, Im a moron. Stephen Drew at #1 is laughable though. Of course, if I recall that was just what Manual thought, it wasnt the entire poll of all the writers, correct?

Ahh, yes, Im a moron. Stephen Drew at #1 is laughable though. Of course, if I recall that was just what Manual thought, it wasnt the entire poll of all the writers, correct?
    I believe so.

Looks like the consensus on Bailey is a #2. Better than Billingsley, probably not as Verlander. So the Reds still don't have a true number 1 in the pipeline, though they are so rare.

Aronchis, I disagree with that. I dont know where you got the "consensus" from. There isnt a consensus of Bailey being a #2 and really, I havent seen anywhere say that he is a #2. So please show me.

Aronchis, I disagree with that. I dont know where you got the "consensus" from. There isnt a consensus of Bailey being a #2 and really, I havent seen anywhere say that he is a #2. So please show me.
    Essentially Manual just did. Saying that Bailey isn't on Verlander's level is telling. Granted, those are my opinions, but I think he was indicating that. Though he also indicated he didn't think Hughes was even a 1 or 2, but more like a 3.

I dont think Hughes is a 1 or a 2 either. Bailey isnt on Verlanders level yet, but he is on his way. Where did Manual say that? Also, since when is one persons word the consensus?

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Looks like the consensus on Bailey is a #2. Better than Billingsley, probably not as Verlander. So the Reds still don't have a true number 1 in the pipeline, though they are so rare.
    He's considered a top ten prospect in baseball and just about every source I've read considers him a "high ceiling" pitcher, how does that make him a #2 type pitcher? Am I missing something?

From the BA handbook.

#1 Pitcher:
    two plus pitches-->Bailey has a plus fastball and a potentially plus curveball
    average third pitch-->Bailey's changeup
    plus-plus command-->Bailey has had very good command this year, very good
    plus makeup-Bailey seems to have it.

He def looks like a #1. He arguably has the most potential out of any pitcher in the minor leagues.

[QUOTE=RedsFanatic]From the BA handbook.

#1 Pitcher:
    QUOTE]

Yeah, but potential isn't anything until it's reached. I'm also not sure at this juncture I would even consider his changeup to be average.

I hope both of those pitches develop, though.

I think his curve is at least above average right now. When he has control of it, it is a plus pitch as is. His change up is mediocre at best, but apparently it was working tonight.

Maybin looks to me a big slugger, or in essense a more powerfull version of Mike Cameron. He will strikeout a ton, but hit many Johnsons and get alot of walks. Plus he will play a plus CF. Excellent prospect.

Bruce IMO is going to be a better contact hitter, a lesser athlete/RF, less power and MAYBE less walks. He looks to be about at 50 walks this year, I expect that to improve next year.

Maybin is going to be a trend setting player like Griffey, while Bruce is just the next Larry Walker. Walker was a nice player, but take him outside Coors, he wasn't all that.

Uh..........you don't remember Walker with the Expos? (cough)

[QUOTE=fearofpopvol1]
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic
    From the BA handbook.

#1 Pitcher:
    QUOTE]

Yeah, but potential isn't anything until it's reached. I'm also not sure at this juncture I would even consider his changeup to be average.

I hope both of those pitches develop, though.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting he is a No. 1 now...rather, his ceiling is a No. 1. That's potential. That's why he's in the Minors.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Essentially Manual just did. Saying that Bailey isn't on Verlander's level is telling. Granted, those are my opinions, but I think he was indicating that. Though he also indicated he didn't think Hughes was even a 1 or 2, but more like a 3.
    You'll go broke in a hurry making prognostications that pitchers are guaranteed to be as good as Liriano and Verlander -- especially if you want to be taken seriously as a minor league talent evaluator. I took it to read: Yeah, there's a good chance he's going to be great, but Liriano and Verlander are great right now.

Call him whatever you want, but the curve's been set insanely high on #1 talent if a cat throwing 94-98MPH routinely with a plus curve and developing change that runs 12+ MPH on the velocity differential isn't seen as a potential #1 anymore.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?