Turn Off Ads?

Thread: scouting report-mike pelfrey-mets starter tonight

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

scouting report-mike pelfrey-mets starter tonight

Mike Pelfrey Scouting Report July 9, 2006
    With Mike Pelfrey debuting yesterday - and a Seth McClung/Pelfrey deal NOT looming on the horizon - it seems appropriate to offer a scouting report on the guy who’s suddenly become significant in ‘06 now that Lima-time is over.

So, I’ll start with the basics. Pelfrey, the 9th overall pick in the 2005 draft, played 3 years of college ball at Wichita State. He was 12-3 with a 1.93 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, and 143:30 K:BB over 139 IP in his draft year, earning his way to the top of the college hurlers hot sheet. The Mets started him off at A-St.Lucie to start ‘06. He was 2-1, 1.64 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 26:2 K:BB in 22 IP. He moved up to AA-Binghamton, where he went 4-2, 2.72 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 77:26 K:BB in 66 IP, with 60 hits allowed. Pretty good numbers for a 22-year-old moving up the ladder, and enough to earn a spot-start for a Mets team running away with its division.

Pelfrey’s 6′7″, 190, and at 22 fits the pitching mould perfectly. He looks exactly like a pre-TJ surgery Kris Benson, featuring a 92-96 fastball and slider, but he’s extremely raw and definitely not ready for big-league action. I know he was nervous in his debut, but his slider looked like it needs some work, and his fastball was straight. I didn’t see a change or curve, but you’ve got to figure they’re a couple years away from big-league ready. Most GMs say a pitcher needs 200+ IP in the minors, and Pelfrey’s had less-than-one-hundred.

I think he throws a 2-seamer, but it’s not the Brandon Webb-kind. His other offerings are average right now, but my guess is that he uses that mid-90s fastball to average around 160-170 Ks over a full-season. And it’s not a high-90s fastball, it’s a low-mid 90s fastball. If Pelfrey’s a #1 starter in the majors, he’s about six or seven years away from assuming that mantle. Right now he’s a project as a #5, and it’ll be at least a couple of years before fantasy players start mining him for stats.

There are some hitters in the NL-East, but it’s still a pitchers’ league. Pelfrey could easily become a good #3 in the next few years, but the Benson similarities - the flat fastball, foremost - just make me question whether this guy is really as good as some scouts and fans want to believe. He’s not Liriano, and he’s guaranteed to need development time at the MLB-level.

Mike Pelfrey Scouting Report

www.fantasysportstrades.com is the link.

i never heard of the guy before and looked this up to see what kind of pitcher he is. so here is the scoop according to fantasy sports trade in case anyone is interested.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: scouting report-mike pelfrey-mets starter tonight

Pelfrey actually has a fastball with alot of movement in the 95 mph range. His breaking stuff though needs work. He was rushed up because the Mets have some major back of the rotation problems and the Mets got sick of watching the likes of Jose Lima and Jeremi Gonzalez implode constantly. He's projected to eventually be a top of the rotation starter. He got the win last time out, but had alot of offensive support. May have been nervous in his first major league start. tonight is his second start.

He was very wild in his first start. Even with a big lead, he was falling behind hitters constantly. Has good stuff though. He might have been nervous in his first big league start.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I bet he was nervous in his first big league start.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Heard on the Mets pregame that he's been more relaxed lately as he's spent time with the big club. In his last throwing session they worked on keeping the ball down, because he was wild high in the zone in his first start.

Willie Randolph was very loose in his interview. Looking to get "payback" from his last visit to Cincinnati (opening series 2005), also his first games as manager. But said that he loves Cincinnati, great baseball town, yada, yada, yada.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Mike Pelfrey Scouting Report July 9, 2006
    With Mike Pelfrey debuting yesterday - and a Seth McClung/Pelfrey deal NOT looming on the horizon - it seems appropriate to offer a scouting report on the guy who’s suddenly become significant in ‘06 now that Lima-time is over.

So, I’ll start with the basics. Pelfrey, the 9th overall pick in the 2005 draft, played 3 years of college ball at Wichita State. He was 12-3 with a 1.93 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, and 143:30 K:BB over 139 IP in his draft year, earning his way to the top of the college hurlers hot sheet. The Mets started him off at A-St.Lucie to start ‘06. He was 2-1, 1.64 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 26:2 K:BB in 22 IP. He moved up to AA-Binghamton, where he went 4-2, 2.72 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 77:26 K:BB in 66 IP, with 60 hits allowed. Pretty good numbers for a 22-year-old moving up the ladder, and enough to earn a spot-start for a Mets team running away with its division.

Pelfrey’s 6′7″, 190, and at 22 fits the pitching mould perfectly. He looks exactly like a pre-TJ surgery Kris Benson, featuring a 92-96 fastball and slider, but he’s extremely raw and definitely not ready for big-league action. I know he was nervous in his debut, but his slider looked like it needs some work, and his fastball was straight. I didn’t see a change or curve, but you’ve got to figure they’re a couple years away from big-league ready. Most GMs say a pitcher needs 200+ IP in the minors, and Pelfrey’s had less-than-one-hundred.

I think he throws a 2-seamer, but it’s not the Brandon Webb-kind. His other offerings are average right now, but my guess is that he uses that mid-90s fastball to average around 160-170 Ks over a full-season. And it’s not a high-90s fastball, it’s a low-mid 90s fastball. If Pelfrey’s a #1 starter in the majors, he’s about six or seven years away from assuming that mantle. Right now he’s a project as a #5, and it’ll be at least a couple of years before fantasy players start mining him for stats.

There are some hitters in the NL-East, but it’s still a pitchers’ league. Pelfrey could easily become a good #3 in the next few years, but the Benson similarities - the flat fastball, foremost - just make me question whether this guy is really as good as some scouts and fans want to believe. He’s not Liriano, and he’s guaranteed to need development time at the MLB-level.

Mike Pelfrey Scouting Report
    One of the worst scouting reports I have seen!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?