Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why two different game threads?

Why two different game threads?

I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I'm showing my neophyte-ness as I write this. Anyway, is there a reason why the game thread isn't always in Reds Live? It is frustrating to be barred from the main discussion just because I haven't been around for long enough. I promise, I won't say anything foul or misguided, and I'll try not to echo anyone's comments right afterwards (though sometimes this can't be helped). Anyway, couldn't the mix of voices be better with a few rooks in the line-up along with the veterans who "know how to play the game"?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: Why two different game threads?

Become a useful addition to RedsZone and you will be there in no time.

Because some people were upset with the postings on the game thread in Reds Live and thought by doing a seperate game thread in ORG would weed out the riff raft. Sadly, it's still just as bad.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Because some people were upset with the postings on the game thread in Reds Live and thought by doing a seperate game thread in ORG would weed out the riff raft. Sadly, it's still just as bad.
    Do they sell those at Bass Pro Shop? I've seen plenty of different boats there, but that one doesn't ring a bell.

There's two game threads because it was getting too positive. Statistically speaking, newer posters have been shown to be 34.27% more postive than those who have been here for 300 or more posts. For those who have been here for 200 or more posts the number of positive posts spikes to 41.37%. That's a positive post factor of 7.1/100 posts and we just can't have that sort of stuff going on in a game thread.

Also, newer posters are far less likely to carp about scrappy vets, hate Gerogre Grande, find Marty B to be the anti-christ or have sick man love for EE. Again, intensive statisicial research has shown the "outsiders objective reality index" (OORI) to be much higher for new people (42.57% higher in fact) for those who have not been here for 3 or more years. It is far more prefered to have a homegenious "end of time" outlook than to have an OORI increasing in the face of the ETS index decreasing. ETS means "everything sucks" index, by the way.

Having two game threads is a good way to weed out the nieve, inexperienced and "hand in the sand" baseball fans who just want to enjoy talking about Reds baseball and ocsionally enjoy the game itself and it maintains that certian, "I am miserable, but I guess I'll post anyway" sort of outlook that is important to some.

Abner: For a guy that's been here two months you certainly seem to like to dump on the board members as a group. This isn't your first negative post in these regards so I guess the question would be: why are you here?

Maybe you should take a break and read the board for an extended period of time before you pee on everyone's cornflakes. The optimism and pessimism ebbs and flows here over time. For instance, from time to time I've been accused of being overly optimistic but I'm currently of a negative mindset because I see a team making a run at a windmill at the expense of their future. Personally, I think of my mindset as objective so I don't really find your wholesale labeling of the board (and therefore me) as a bunch of miserable people to be very accurate or acceptable.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Become a useful addition to RedsZone and you will be there in no time.
    M'kay... well, after an honest question, i've received the above curt response, a longer satirical response (albeit well-written), an attempt at an honest explanation (weeding out 'riff raft', which the poster then admits doesn't actually work), and a joke about the misspelling in that explanation.

Give me a break, people.

Although I may not have been here for long, may not have 200 rep points, and may not have as much 'experience' as y'all, it seems strange that I shouldn't be able to participate in a simple game thread. That, after all, seems to be the most basic type of posting in a forum like this one. Most of the recent conversation on both threads has to do with whether players got hits, whether they made nice plays in the field, and how badly Narron screwed up the last move. The only difference I can see is that one thread has 450 people viewing and the other has, well, like 10... and its boring and lonely!

Let me say that I have no problem with the policy against me posting regular threads in the ORG until 200 rep points. However, I think there is a real difference between play-by-play game conversation (the game thread) and the specialized, well-developed banter that takes place on the other ORG threads between experienced fans who've been on the site for awhile and proven their "utility". It also seems that a site like this would want to attract new members rather than alienating them by sticking them on another side of a fence yelling at the top of their lungs for no one to hear.

Why not just have one game thread in Reds Live for everyone to access? Even if I haven't proven useful to this forum thus far, I at least deserve a logical explanation, unvarnished with sarcasm.
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-19-2006 at 08:54 AM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

One way you could get to ORG is to bribe Boss... I have pictures of him. It explains my membership there.

When this board was splitt into two groups I was adamently against it and I remain so today. One problem however is that the game threads became so long that they were virtually unreadable unless you spent three or four hours at your computer reading each post as it occured. Ever come home late and try to read through the game thread? Geez! You'll be up all night just getting through it! IMO, and this was an idea thrown out before, let one or two people do the game thread so that if someone wants to view the action as the game progresses they can easily do so. For people that want to comment as the game is in progress----USE THE CHAT ROOM!!! That's what it's intended for!!!

This board used to have a very good and active chat room before the game threads became hijacked into a psudo-chat. Maybe it's about people wanting to run up thier post counts or whatever but, IMO, the chat room is where game conversation belongs.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I'm showing my neophyte-ness as I write this. Anyway, is there a reason why the game thread isn't always in Reds Live?
    Simple answer: Because no one has started one on Live. If you, or anyone else, don't see a game thread on Live, feel free to start one. If more than one of you gets the idea at the same time, don't worry, we'll either close one or merge the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

REDS11

New guy here. I have one question. Are you ready to see Eric Milton go?
    Last edited by REDS11; 07-19-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    USE THE CHAT ROOM!!! That's what it's intended for!!!

This board used to have a very good and active chat room before the game threads became hijacked into a psudo-chat. Maybe it's about people wanting to run up thier post counts or whatever but, IMO, the chat room is where game conversation belongs.
    I've been in chat a few times during games... good crew... even the guy from Gainesville... You might even get involved in a trivia challenge if the game is dull.

Plus, it rewards the "instant gratification" part of one's soul.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by REDS11
    New guy here. I have on question. Are you ready to see Eric Milton go?
    Not so much him. He gave us 3 run/6 innings before he ran out of gas. He aint the greatest but Narron really dropped the ball and has done it alot prior to this latest gaff by not pulling him in the 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    When this board was splitt into two groups I was adamently against it and I remain so today. One problem however is that the game threads became so long that they were virtually unreadable unless you spent three or four hours at your computer reading each post as it occured. Ever come home late and try to read through the game thread? Geez! You'll be up all night just getting through it! IMO, and this was an idea thrown out before, let one or two people do the game thread so that if someone wants to view the action as the game progresses they can easily do so. For people that want to comment as the game is in progress----USE THE CHAT ROOM!!! That's what it's intended for!!!

Rem
    I continue to support the two forums.

Game threads are conversations about the game as if you were next to your friend at the game. It will be different in the ORG than live because the ORG is like people you know. Live! is like folks whi share the same interests but arent really familiar with each other. Its a different feel and tone.

If you want details on how the game went down, I suggest ESPN or MLB.com with the scoring summary.

Of course this has been argued ad nasuem here.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Rem's recollection matches mine. Much of the chat in the single game thread down here did not need to be preserved for all time, since there were pages and pages of 40 posts where only a couple were even discussing the game. There's still plenty of asides in the current game threads, but at least there's less of it on ORG. Some people read the game thread after the fact to find out what happened during the game. It's not fair to them if half the posts are debating whether Jennifer Aniston is hotter than Jennifer Garner and another third are keeping a running tally of George Grande's references to the Cards.

If I want to discuss anything and everything in addition to the game, I go to chat during the game. It's a fun place to be, it's truer to live action and it beats refreshing a game thread every few seconds. If I want to get reactions to things that happen in the game, I go to the game thread. A massive free-wheeling 30-page thread that everyone can participate in is just a waste of costly board resources, IMO.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 07-19-2006 at 09:21 AM.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?