Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why two different game threads?

Re: Why two different game threads?

[QUOTE=remdog]When this board was splitt into two groups I was adamently against it and I remain so today. One problem however is that the game threads became so long that they were virtually unreadable unless you spent three or four hours at your computer reading each post as it occured. Ever come home late and try to read through the game thread? Geez! You'll be up all night just getting through it! IMO, and this was an idea thrown out before, let one or two people do the game thread so that if someone wants to view the action as the game progresses they can easily do so. For people that want to comment as the game is in progress----USE THE CHAT ROOM!!! That's what it's intended for!!!

This board used to have a very good and active chat room before the game threads became hijacked into a psudo-chat. Maybe it's about people wanting to run up thier post counts or whatever but, IMO, the chat room is where game conversation belongs.

Rem[/QUOTE

Thanks, Rem. I visited there once, but was not satisfied with what was going on. I do agree with you, however, that the chat room should be more like the quality of the game thread. It just isn't. Still... no real solution to my problem, but thanks for the honest response.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Most of the time, the Chat is dead as a doorknob so I leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Simple answer: Because no one has started one on Live. If you, or anyone else, don't see a game thread on Live, feel free to start one. If more than one of you gets the idea at the same time, don't worry, we'll either close one or merge the two.
    Um, that's just not true. The LIVE game threads do get started... every night over the past week I've been posting there. But it gets pretty dumb when I feel like I'm just talking to myself.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Rem's recollection matches mine. Much of the chat in the single game thread down here did not need to be preserved for all time, since there were pages and pages of 40 posts where only a couple were even discussing the game. There's still plenty of asides in the current game threads, but at least there's less of it on ORG. Some people read the game thread after the fact to find out what happened during the game. It's not fair to them if half the posts are debating whether Jennifer Aniston is hotter than Jennifer Garner and another third are keeping a running tally of George Grande's references to the Cards.

If I want to discuss anything and everything in addition to the game, I go to chat during the game. It's a fun place to be, it's truer to live action and it beats refreshing a game thread every few seconds. If I want to get reactions to things that happen in the game, I go to the game thread. A massive free-wheeling 30-page thread that everyone can participate in is just a waste of costly board resources, IMO.
    Also not my point. I have little interest in Jennifer Garner or Jennifer Aniston when I'm on a game thread. I'm on this friggin' board in the first place because I want to talk about the Reds. I've been to chat, and it is never as lively or interesting as the game thread... and the only option I'm left with is the echo chamber that is the Reds Live game thread. Makes me want to take my ball and go home.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    I continue to support the two forums.

Game threads are conversations about the game as if you were next to your friend at the game. It will be different in the ORG than live because the ORG is like people you know. Live! is like folks whi share the same interests but arent really familiar with each other. Its a different feel and tone.

If you want details on how the game went down, I suggest ESPN or MLB.com with the scoring summary.

Of course this has been argued ad nasuem here.
    100% agreed. And as a new member, the different "feel and tone" makes me feel like I'm sitting in the bloody nose seats trying to scream at a bunch of people in the luxury box.

Again, I want to emphasize that I like the separate boards... it's a unique aspect of this forum and one that makes me more motivated to post well. I just don't like the separate game threads because to me that's a different type of activity.

The idea that I'm posting on the game thread just to run up my post count is, well, ridiculous and rather offensive.
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-19-2006 at 09:31 AM.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    Also not my point. I have little interest in Jennifer Garner or Jennifer Aniston when I'm on a game thread. I'm on this friggin' board in the first place because I want to talk about the Reds. I've been to chat, and it is never as lively or interesting as the game thread... and the only option I'm left with is the echo chamber that is the Reds Live game thread. Makes me want to take my ball and go home.
    You're halfway to qualifying for ORG in 5 months on the board, so obviously someone thinks you're making a positive contribution. Keep doing what you're doing and maybe you'll be up there by the end of the season.

I have to admit that openly questioning the choices of the majority who came before ye makes me reluctant to contribute positively to your rep.
    /r/reds

I continue to support the two forums.

Game threads are conversations about the game as if you were next to your friend at the game. It will be different in the ORG than live because the ORG is like people you know. Live! is like folks whi share the same interests but arent really familiar with each other. Its a different feel and tone.

If you want details on how the game went down, I suggest ESPN or MLB.com with the scoring summary.

Of course this has been argued ad nasuem here.
    I respect your opinion Smitty. I will say though that, when the chat room is active, it's more like a party at the local pub 'cause everyone is talking and joking and having a good time but can also throw in serious comments about the game as the action unfolds.

Being on the Left Coast with the time difference (as well as my off-kilter work schedule) makes it hard for me to get to chat during the game but, on the occassions that I have gotten there and the room was busy it's been great fun! It just seems to me that it could be a great resource for everyone while not burning bandwith with 30 page game threads.

Just my opinion, of course.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    You're halfway to qualifying for ORG in 5 months on the board, so obviously someone thinks you're making a positive contribution. Keep doing what you're doing and maybe you'll be up there by the end of the season.

I have to admit that openly questioning the choices of the majority who came before ye makes me reluctant to contribute positively to your rep.
    Is that a threat? Shut up or ship out? Wow... not what I expected from this kind of question at all. Learn something every day.

I'm not sure how I would make my opinions or my voice heard other than 'openly' questioning the majority. Would you rather a personal message be sent to every member over 200 rep points?

Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    I respect your opinion Smitty. I will say though that, when the chat room is active, it's more like a party at the local pub 'cause everyone is talking and joking and having a good time but can also throw in serious comments about the game as the action unfolds.

Being on the Left Coast with the time difference (as well as my off-kilter work schedule) makes it hard for me to get to chat during the game but, on the occassions that I have gotten there and the room was busy it's been great fun! It just seems to me that it could be a great resource for everyone while not burning bandwith with 30 page game threads.

Just my opinion, of course.

Rem
    I agree, I have been there at chat when it has been hopping. It is indeed fun. I think the difference for me is that I usually am working so going between game thread and work is much more easier to follow than a live chat that is 900 mph conversation and if ignored for 3 seconds, you are out of the loop.

Is that a threat? Shut up or ship out? Wow... not what I expected from this kind of question at all. Learn something every day.

I'm not sure how I would make my opinions or my voice heard other than 'openly' questioning the majority. Would you rather a personal message be sent to every member over 200 rep points?

Unbelievable.
    I didnt read that when he posted that. Talk about taking what you want from a post. He is saying that you have done well thus far in gaining reputation but is reluctant to help you much more if all you are going to do is criticize our policy we have established here.

I agree, I have been there at chat when it has been hopping. It is indeed fun. I think the difference for me is that I usually am working so going between game thread and work is much more easier to follow than a live chat that is 900 mph conversation and if ignored for 3 seconds, you are out of the loop.
    Agreed. I've experienced that too and it's ummm....less than ideal. The solution is to work less, I guess.

Rem

Unbelievable.
    I'd also like to point out that my problem has NOTHING to do with the fact that I am not yet in ORG. I'm perfectly satisfied with the discussion that I get from threads on Reds Live so far with one BIG exception... the game thread. Were there a viable game thread on Reds Live for every Reds game (an no, chat doesn't cut it as a replacement) this would not be an issue at all for me.

(an no, chat doesn't cut it as a replacement) this would not be an issue at all for me.
    How about taking a lead and helping to make chat a place that does cut it?

Rem

Um, that's just not true. The LIVE game threads do get started... every night over the past week I've been posting there. But it gets pretty dumb when I feel like I'm just talking to myself.
    That's not what you said. You asked why the game thread isn't always on Reds Live and I said that that is because no one has started one. I have seen plenty of nights - and days - where there hasn't been a game thread on Reds Live. Now whether people participate in a game thread that has been started is another question and the answer can only be supplied by those that choose not to participate in the game thread. You may feel awfully dumb talking to yourself but rest assured there are others who feel the same way. Perhaps if you would post in those game threads, others would follow suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Agreed. I've experienced that too and it's ummm....less than ideal. The solution is to work less, I guess.

Rem
    Now you're just talking crazy...

Turn Off Ads?