Turn Off Ads?

Thread: San Diego Bound--Info wanted

San Diego Bound--Info wanted

Looks like I'm headed to San Diego.

I'm from California, so I know a lot of what I'm getting into.

Does anyone know a decent resdential area that's not to expensive. (lol , San Diego) I'm willing to commute (up to an hour). I know San Diego has light rail (maybe I can use that?)

I'll be looking probably to rent. The military is going to give me about 2 grand a month to pay for my housing to include utilities.

I will need at least a 3 bedroom, plus I have 2 dogs. I'll prefer a house and not an apartment.

Most likely I'll be working out of North Island (even thou I'm Air Force)

I'm really not a base housing type of person, especially non-Air Force housing.

Any other informaiton, I'll apprecialte.

Oh yeah, GO PADRES! NOT!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: San Diego Bound--Info wanted

Wow, talk about an upgrade from El Paso.

Congratulations.

That 2 grand a month in San Diego will get you a walk in closet.

Good luck.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Yup, it might be better for me to jettison a lot of my stuff (crap) and move into quarters on post.

Whoo hoo! Nice duty station!

When are you arriving? I'm planning on heading to LaCosta for the women's tennis tourney the first week in August.

Last time I looked at apartments in San Diego (about 7 years ago) I found some reasonable stuff in Encinitas/Leucadia. Kind of a funky throwback to the 60's area but a nice neighborhood with nice bars, shops and restaurants. Charlies by the Sea in Cardiff is one of my favorite restaurants----great bar food at Happy Hour or nice upscale dining in the dining room.

Here's the link to the Union-Trib rentals section if you haven't already tried it: http://classifieds2.signonsandiego.c...ls?showtopic=1

Rem

January 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Last time I looked at apartments in San Diego (about 7 years ago) I found some reasonable stuff in Encinitas/Leucadia.
    That's going to be kinda far from North Island. Try Ocean Beach or Imperial Beach.

My wife's from San Diego, born and raised. We lived there for about a year (I had to get out. The weather was amazing, but I hated just about everything else. But that's me. Most people love it there and I'm sure you will, too). She has a brother who lives in Temecula, which is about an hour away. It's not as inexpensive as it used to be, but it's still probably quite a savings from SD and it's a fairly nice community and you can probably get a house. Heck, he lives in a manufactured house that's actually quite nice.

A decade ago I never would have suggested this, but Chula Vista has come a long way in the last five years or so. There's been a lot of newer development and I doubt it's as outrageious as the city (can't for sure though). It's become a hotbed for young professionals. I'd check it out.

One of my best friends lives there now and pays only $700 a month, but he lives in a small place in a not so good neighborhood in NOrthpark (or maybe it's Southpark. It's one or the other). But you can find those types of places there if you're willing to live in a shady part of town.

If I'm not mistaken they've completely tore down and rebuilt most of the miltary housing in Linda Vista. We had friends that lived there about 10 years ago, but I've heard it's all new now and pretty nice.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

We left San Diego a year ago after living there for 18 years...The finest weather in the country but everything else pretty well sucks. Gas is $3.50 a gallon...a 2 bedroom apartment will cost you 1200 dollars a month in a bad neighborhood, and the traffic is flat out horrible. It was a great place to live but now you have to make 100K a year to not live paycheck to paycheck...Good luck!
    Baseball is life

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRed
    We left San Diego a year ago after living there for 18 years...The finest weather in the country but everything else pretty well sucks. Gas is $3.50 a gallon...a 2 bedroom apartment will cost you 1200 dollars a month in a bad neighborhood, and the traffic is flat out horrible. It was a great place to live but now you have to make 100K a year to not live paycheck to paycheck...Good luck!
    Well, that's just sad. But on the bright side for me, I'm military and I'll get to live on base quarters. It'll be cramp, but I won't have to pay rent, utilities, etc. And all the government housing has been privitized with some upgrades such as free internet too.

And the housing areas aren't far away from my new work location and downtown San Diego.

How's the tram/trolley/train/bus system there?

Public transportation is very good...If your near the system, the trolley is awesome!
    Baseball is life

Turn Off Ads?