Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XM Radio

Re: XM Radio

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    I have the Delphi RoadyXT.

I love it, however I think the music stations on Sirius are a bit better. The only problem with that is that baseball is not on Sirius. That has just been my observation.

I think what I am going to do is buy a Sirius radio as well, and just switch after baseball season is over. Sirius has that darn Foosball.
    Good choice.

Other than the MLB channels, XM is pretty crap.

I've used both, and Sirius is the much better satellite radio, completely, hands down. Better music stations, talk shows (Howard Stern), and even Comedy is great.

And yes, FOOTBALL!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dicken
    Other than the MLB channels, XM is pretty crap.
    ??? XM is great for news and talk. I use my own CDs/MP3s for music, so I'll admit I don't listen to the music channels much.

I love XM and enjoy the music channels, but I primarily listen to baseball and their coverage of the World Cup was excellent. I don't really care about Howard Stern. I lost interest in him after I got out of my early 20s. But I do wish they had football and more soccer coverage. They have the Big Ten for football and basketball as well. If they could just get baseball, football, and the English Premiership under one satellite umbrella, I would be in heaven.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    ??? XM is great for news and talk. I use my own CDs/MP3s for music, so I'll admit I don't listen to the music channels much.
    Really? Most of the talk stations I have heard on there, are on Sirius as well. From what I have experienced, XM has a lot of FM stations on there, as I believe 700wlw is on there as well. Most of these stations still carry over the advertisements....why pay a monthly fee for advertisements?

In all honesty, I would pay the $10-12 a month for Sirius, JUST for Howard Stern....but they have some of the best Entertainment channels (Blue Collar Comedy, Raw Dog Comedy, E!) and music channels (Jimmy Buffett even has his own channel) I have ever experienced (on both Satellite Radios).

XM is good for a certain aspect, as I mentioned....MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dicken
    Really? Most of the talk stations I have heard on there, are on Sirius as well. From what I have experienced, XM has a lot of FM stations on there, as I believe 700wlw is on there as well. Most of these stations still carry over the advertisements....why pay a monthly fee for advertisements?
    Most of them may also be on Sirius, but that doesn't mean XM is "crap." If you're like me and you've already invested in XM equipment and love the baseball coverage there is absolutely no reason to switch. As long as XM can keep BBC World Service, their current news/sports/talk lineup and MLB that is plenty for me to stay with them. I could care less about Howard Stern and I've never really listened to the music stations anyway (except for the fact that i love Frank's Place and the 40s on 40).

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    Most of them may also be on Sirius, but that doesn't mean XM is "crap." If you're like me and you've already invested in XM equipment and love the baseball coverage there is absolutely no reason to switch. As long as XM can keep BBC World Service, their current news/sports/talk lineup and MLB that is plenty for me to stay with them. I could care less about Howard Stern and I've never really listened to the music stations anyway (except for the fact that i love Frank's Place and the 40s on 40).
    I wasn't telling anyone to switch. Just giving my insight on the two brands....

My opinion is that it is crap, aside from it's Baseball coverage, on an entertainment and music aspect as opposed to XM. If you've already invested in it, and like you said, don't listen to the music stations and could care less about Howard Stern, then stick with what you got. If you want a more wide variety, switch to Sirius, it's well worth it.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I ordered my XM kit today through the link provided earlier. Since MLB is the MAIN reason I am doing this, Sirius wasnt a consideration.

$99 is a nice deal for the complete bundle!
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    I ordered my XM kit today through the link provided earlier. Since MLB is the MAIN reason I am doing this, Sirius wasnt a consideration.

$99 is a nice deal for the complete bundle!
    You will definitely enjoy the baseball coverage.

Just an observation, but I get the impression that the whole Sirius v. XM debate is taking on a "Mac v. PC" air. I've noticed that the people my wife works with who have Sirius all swear by it and say its way better than XM. Most of them got in because of Stern. There is a whole "Sirius is way better than XM" vibe to them. The XM listeners I know are all pretty ambivalent toward Stern and got XM because it had baseball or else they just didn't like broadcast radio anymore. They tend to say that satellite radio is better than broadcast and have no strong feelings for or against Sirius. For me it was all about MLB as well. Whoever has MLB has me as a customer.

The only negative thing about Sirius that I've heard, other than "no baseball," is that Sirius has more reception problems than XM. I have zero experience with Sirius so I don't know personally, but I've heard they don't have the network of ground-based signal repeaters that XM has.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I could care less about Howard Stern.

I do like WLW being on XM. Listening to it every so often.

I mostly listen to music, rock stations at that, and their rock station selections on XM are not all that great. I have heard Sirius, and liked what I heard better.

I think I am going to go with the half and half, as soon as baseball is over I will switch, then when baseball starts back up I will switch back.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I have the Delphi SkyFi2 with the car kit and the home kit. It's easy to take back and forth. I would recommend it highly.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I would tend to echo most of the comments here.

I own a Delphi SkyFi2 - I bought it with the car kit, and ended up purchasing the boom box for my office. I really haven't had any problems with it. By far my favorite feature has been the ability to pause live radio and play back songs. If you are on the road and want to hear again a song that played five songs ago (as long as you are on that same station) you can go back to it. If you get a business call while listening to an interview on MLB on XM, you can pause it, take the call, then unpause it and not miss a beat.

I also bought my wife the Pioneer XM2Go, and I have to say while the unit is nicely thought out and the functions are all as advertised, the internal antenna is absolutely awful. You can not get it to work even inside a car unless you plug it into an external antenna. My wife has taken it out for walks with the dog and she loses signals walking in between apartment buildings. For a "handheld" device there really isn't anything handheld about it. It does come with both a home kit and a car kit included in the package, and you will need to use both.

But I really enjoy XM. My former roommate as well as my brother has Sirius - and they have loads of signal issues. My brother lives in the northeast and says a blow of the wind can cause him to lose signal and my former roommate's could never get a full clear signal no matter what radio station he tried to broadcast thru.

The new Commerical filled stations are a drag, but an avoidable one. I never thought I would enjoy paying for radio but now I'll never go back.

The MLB on XM is a great station, albeit one that is different than your average sports talk radio station. I enjoy it, but don't mistake that it tends to be sugar coat central - don't expect railing on players, shock jocks or any real sort of negativity. During the whole Barry Bonds saga it's been sunshine and lollipops from the broadcast crew about it, which can be way over the top and is really my one big gripe. But I'll take that over idiotic smack talk any day of the week, and XM has the full gammut (ESPN,Fox, Sporting News) of talk radio if you feel the need.

Also, know that the only non-commerical part is 90 percent of the music stations. That's a bit of a misnomer that XM doesn't come right out and say. All of the standard AM fare, as well as all the talk and sports channels have commericals, just like normal.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    But I really enjoy XM. My former roommate as well as my brother has Sirius - and they have loads of signal issues. My brother lives in the northeast and says a blow of the wind can cause him to lose signal and my former roommate's could never get a full clear signal no matter what radio station he tried to broadcast thru.
    Never had that kind of problem. I've found that going under bridges and even on covered bridges will knock out the signal....or going under the cover of a gas station will also do that, but that's even common with XM. It's all about how the Sirius radio is mounted, whether it's in the car, or even in the house....if you're in a house, trying to gain signal through concrete floors, don't count on a very good signal, or one at all. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19

I also bought my wife the Pioneer XM2Go, and I have to say while the unit is nicely thought out and the functions are all as advertised, the internal antenna is absolutely awful. You can not get it to work even inside a car unless you plug it into an external antenna. My wife has taken it out for walks with the dog and she loses signals walking in between apartment buildings. For a "handheld" device there really isn't anything handheld about it. It does come with both a home kit and a car kit included in the package, and you will need to use both.
    I have a set of these antenna headphones which should help your wife while taking walks.

http://www.myradiostore.us/antennas-...a-sa10161.html
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Another thing that improves portable reception for the MYfi is this antenna. This is a better antenna than the one that comes packaged with the MYFI.

http://www.myradiostore.us/antennas-...o-antenna.html

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB

I think what I am going to do is buy a Sirius radio as well, and just switch after baseball season is over. Sirius has that darn Foosball.
    My wife has this SIRIUS unit. It is a nice BASIC receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e/...s=sirius+visor
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Turn Off Ads?