Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jr. Griffey's Slump

bomarl1969

Jr. Griffey's Slump

I don't mean to come down on the guy, I've enjoyed watching him these last few seasons when his injuries aren't that bad...

But what is up with these double plays?

He looks like the reencarnation of Sean Casey. If there is ever a time we need Jr. to step up it is now. We don't have Wily Mo Pena, AK, or FeLo's bats anymore in the lineup, so now its up to Dunn, Jr., and Aurilla to be pick up their slack. Don't get me wrong we had great run production last night, but everytime Dunn singles Griffey has been becoming a rally killer and eventually its going to cost the Reds some important ballgames. Also maybe Griffey should be batting 2nd or 5th instead of 3rd, I don't know, just my opinion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jr. Griffey's Slump

I wanted to throw the remote through the TV last night. Why they would not have Griffey bunt to the left side in that situation last night is hard for me to understand. The 3rd baseman was almost on 2nd base. They were just giving him a single. Would have been guys on first and second with no outs. This would seem to make even more sense during his current slump. If I am wrong, please explain it to me.
    Maybe you will save me from breaking my tv in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by DJF33
    I wanted to throw the remote through the TV last night. Why they would not have Griffey bunt to the left side in that situation last night is hard for me to understand. The 3rd baseman was almost on 2nd base. They were just giving him a single. Would have been guys on first and second with no outs. This would seem to make even more sense during his current slump. If I am wrong, please explain it to me.
    When have you seen a future hall of fame power hitter bunt?

Hahaha, let's put it that way. If there's 4 guys on, or no guy on, Griffey has the green light and more than likely always will.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    Don't get me wrong we had great run production last night, but everytime Dunn singles Griffey has been becoming a rally killer and eventually its going to cost the Reds some important ballgames.
    Griffey has been hitting solo shots? </Chris Welch>

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dicken
    When have you seen a future hall of fame power hitter bunt?
    I haven't, that is the problem.
    Hall of fame or not, he only has a 30% chance of getting on base safely so far this season, and that is a fact. I would have to think that his chances of getting on safely by dropping a bunt to the left side would at least double his chances of reaching base safely. I just don't see how this is not in the best interest of the team in that situation, and I think that either Jr. or Narron should recognize that.

Quote Originally Posted by DJF33
    I thought exactly the same thing. I am a huge Griffey fan, but it seems to me he is very stubborn. A couple of bunts or even bunt attempts, especially since he is in this slide, might loosen up that shift.

I know it's not sexy or macho, but neither is grounding into a double play.

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    Don't get me wrong we had great run production last night, but everytime Dunn singles Griffey has been becoming a rally killer and eventually its going to cost the Reds some important ballgames.

Maybe Dunn should hit more doubles.

If he refuses to bunt, how about just hitting the ball the other way? Did you see where the pitch was that he hit into the double play late yesterday? It screamed to be taken the other way.

I think the stubborn comment is appropriate. Too stubborn to hit the other way, too stubborn to bunt, too stubborn to move from CF, too stubborn to move from the 3 hole. I've never been a fan of Griffey the player and I certainly am not now.

I believe Jr. has always been selfish. If not, he would not be in the CF or in the 3 hole. He is what is, a shell of his former self. He may be the only one who can't see it.

I've never been a fan of Griffey the player
    Why?

What in the world was wrong with him as a player?

The positive thing is he seems to be making decent contact, he's just hitting the ball right at people and has been for about two weeks.

He'll be fine.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

He'll be fine.
    I keep hearing that and yet...

May 16th - .244/.302/.487

Today - .244/.297/.504

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Ah...Griffey is slumping... here comes the haters.

They are like roaches that come out in the darkest of the hour to do their damage but scurry away when the light is turned on (Griffey raking).

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Why?

What in the world was wrong with him as a player?
    I think he's a good guy, which is why I said I had issues with him as a player. Your use of the past tense, whether intentional or not, is ironic - he's ok, I guess, now but is just a tiny shell of his former self and has no business batting third or playing CF. Wish he or management would realize that and do something about it.

Your use of the past tense, whether intentional or not, is ironic
    You were the one who introduced the all encompassing "Never" to your statement, thus introducing the need to note the "past tense" to quantify what exactly never meant.

Which evidently means something different to you then me.

Turn Off Ads?