Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jr. Griffey's Slump

Re: Jr. Griffey's Slump

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    You were the one who introduced the all encompassing "Never" to your statement, thus introducing the need to note the "past tense" to quantify what exactly never meant.

Which evidently means something different to you then me.
    fair enough - you're right, I could have been more specific. I just don't think as highly of him as a player as a lot of people seem to and haven't for 5 years. And I find his refusal to stop pulling the ball right into the shift to be very frustrating.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp
    I just don't think as highly of him as a player as a lot of people seem to and haven't for 5 years.
    How did you fell about him last year when he was hitting 301 with 35 bombs 92 RBI in only 128 games?

Or are we talking about dog years?

And I find his refusal to stop pulling the ball right into the shift to be very frustrating.
    I've seen him hit the ball opposite way quite a few times. I believe he hit an inside-the-park homerun by doing that this year....correct me if I am wrong.

I don't think he refuses, it's just impossible for him to do it every single time.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Just an FYI, Griffey flew out to the warning track just last night in Left Field....and last I checked that would be opposite field for him. As for the double plays, Griffey hit two balls up the middle that were line drives that were turned into double plays, it sucks that they pull the shift and had the SS standing 10 feet behind second base at the start of the play, but he has been hitting the ball hard the last few days....just at some people.

Is he slumping? Yep.

FYI, he did square for a bunt in two ABs the other night. I was there.

And to enlighten me, could someone post Griffey's BABIP?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Just an FYI, Griffey flew out to the warning track just last night in Left Field....and last I checked that would be opposite field for him. As for the double plays, Griffey hit two balls up the middle that were line drives that were turned into double plays, it sucks that they pull the shift and had the SS standing 10 feet behind second base at the start of the play, but he has been hitting the ball hard the last few days....just at some people.

Is he slumping? Yep.
    There's not much point in going round and round about this, but saying that he hit the ball up the middle and it's unfortunate that the shift was on, as well as saying that he was unlucky to hit it at some one, sort of misses my point. Until he can make them get out of the shift, that is going to happen much more than the ball sneaks through three players on one side of the infield.

There's not much point in going round and round about this, but saying that he hit the ball up the middle and it's unfortunate that the shift was on, as well as saying that he was unlucky to hit it at some one, sort of misses my point. Until he can make them get out of the shift, that is going to happen much more than the ball sneaks through three players on one side of the infield.
    I think you are NOT understanding the point....

They're not going to remove the shift on Griffey, or Dunn for that matter. No matter if they hit it opposite field.
    Last edited by Rob Dicken; 07-21-2006 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dicken
    When have you seen a future hall of fame power hitter bunt?

Hahaha, let's put it that way. If there's 4 guys on, or no guy on, Griffey has the green light and more than likely always will.
    Actually, I've seen Jr bunt... this year in fact.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Actually, I've seen Jr bunt... this year in fact.
    I have too, but all I have heard lately is 'Why doesn't Griffey bunt?' It's in a few other threads besides this one.

It's because he's a power hitter, and if it comes down to driving in runs or just moving players over, I am sure Narron is going to go with option A.

No matter what Griffey does he is always going to be under the spotlight. It goes with the territory of having a huge contract. A Rod goes through it, Abreu goes through it, and Man Ram goes through it. I personally love having a Hall of Famer on the team who is a class act on and off the field. That being said Griffey has laid down a few bunts but teams are going to use that shift against him regardless, he would have to bunt like 40 straight times for them to change their defense.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum
    I believe Jr. has always been selfish. If not, he would not be in the CF or in the 3 hole. He is what is, a shell of his former self. He may be the only one who can't see it.

Griffey is not the manager of the Cincinnati Reds! What do you think he should do, go to Narron's office and demand to be moved down in the order? If he did that people would be ripping him for that also.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

George Kenneth Griffey Jr. is probably one of the last players in the entire league that should be classified as selfish.

He'll break out of the slump. I am curious to see though a.) what his numbers end up being come end of the year and b.) will he stay healthy for the remainder of the season. He already had his yearly injury

Even though it was hardly breaking out of a slump....I thought JR. did pretty well on that clutch hit in the Ninth tonight.

Turn Off Ads?