Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enquirer: Miller, Howard, Hanks take a road trip

Enquirer: Miller, Howard, Hanks take a road trip

Man, what I wouldn't give to be on this bus trip...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...PT04/607200342

Laughter in the rain delay
    Miller, Howard, Hanks take a road trip
    BY KEVIN KELLY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

A busload of baseball fans made a stop Wednesday at Great American Ball Park, and the traveling party included some of Hollywood's biggest stars.

Academy Award winners Tom Hanks and Ron Howard and Emmy Award-comedian Dennis Miller made the latest stop on what originally was a seven-city tour of Major League Baseball parks.

"I turned 50 about 10 days ago," Hanks said. "This is a dream that you have, gosh, all the way back. Wouldn't you love to be able to go to all the ballparks?

"The requisite was you had to be a baseball fan and funny to make it on the bus. We've got a bunch of guys up in the box. They're just not famous."

Great American Ball Park was the third stadium the group has visited. They stopped at Oriole Park at Camden Yards and PNC Park in Pittsburgh earlier this week.

The group spent time in Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini's private box.

After a 2 hour, 23-minute rain delay, watched from seats two rows behind the Reds dugout.

"They've got the ballpark thing down now," Miller said. "That multipurpose thing stunk, evidently. Now they've returned to one for football and one for baseball and all the ballparks are beautiful."

Miller is a Pittsburgh native and a lifelong Pirates fan.

"I remember when Bob Prince used to call games here at Crosley Field," Miller said. "Somebody would hit a home run, it was like only 303 feet, and he'd say, 'That's out, over the moon deck, into a pick-up truck on I-75 and on its way to Dayton."

As for his favorite player in the game today?

"I like the natural strength of that Barry Bonds guy," Miller joked.

Hanks at one time sold peanuts and soda during A's games at Oakland-Alameda Coliseum, and counts the Dodgers as his favorite team.

So, too, does Howard.

"I grew up with the Dodgers," Howard said. "Fell in love with them in (1963) and Vin Scully taught me everything I know about baseball. And I love it. Just love it."

Howard shared a story about posing as a rookie Dodgers player after a "Happy Days" cast game at Dodger Stadium.

"I was out on the field shagging balls - had a mustache and I had kind of long hair because it was in between the (filming) season," Howard said. "Jerry Reuss came up and said, 'You've got to dress as this kid (Dave) Patterson. He's late to the game and you look just like him.'

"So I put on Patterson's uniform. All the coaches are waving at me ... and suddenly Patterson comes out in uniform panicked."

Miller added: "You know when Ronnie quit doing that to him? When he woke up the next week and Patterson was cashing his Richie Cunningham check."

Hanks relayed a story about having dinner in New York when Yankees legend and Hall of Famer Joe DiMaggio, who was dining at the same restaurant, asked to meet him.

"I had a very nice sit down with the man," Hanks said. "He was a true gentleman."

Howard likes to refer to Hanks as the DiMaggio of the film business.

"Dom DiMaggio?" Hanks responded.

Hanks believes Pete Rose should be in the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Howard quit visiting the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown because Rose isn't enshrined.

"At one point it dawned on me," he said, "that until they at least make him eligible, it's not complete."

E-mail kkelly@enquirer.com

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Enquirer: Miller, Howard, Hanks take a road trip

Hanks believes Pete Rose should be in the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Howard quit visiting the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown because Rose isn't enshrined.

"At one point it dawned on me," he said, "that until they at least make him eligible, it's not complete."
    Wow.... Interesting comments there. I agree, though only as a player while ignoring all managerial work.

reds44 posted this on the Game Thread but I will post it here too. This is a funny comment from Miller on Marc's blog.

Naturally, they were asked whether Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame, and Hanks and Howard said rather passionately that he should.

"He once said, ‘I’d walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball,’" said Hanks. "That’s a pretty good line."

"Yeah," said Miller, "but unfortunately he would have bet on whether he made it through or not

That's unusual billing. Why list a has been comic, failed MNF broadcaster, and failed pundit tv host ahead of Ron Howard and Tom Hanks? Or is Dennis Miller more popular than the other two in Cincinnati?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    That's unusual billing. Why list a has been comic, failed MNF broadcaster, and failed pundit tv host ahead of Ron Howard and Tom Hanks? Or is Dennis Miller more popular than the other two in Cincinnati?
    Miller isnt a failure. If he is then sign me up to be a failure like him.

So creek jr and I were sitting in out seats, minding our own business, when a Reds chick (followed by a Reds security guy and a private security guy) asked us to move. I looked at creek jr with his hot dog and drink, me with my lovely fruit plate and water, and asked her why.

"A celebrity wants to sit here."

I , and asked if the celebrity was going to pay me for the tickets. I was curtly told we would be moved to seats in the same section.

So we packed up and moved.

And no one came to sit in our old seats. Then I saw the same trio in the Diamonds moving some people and looking up at the suites (I saw Hanks and Miller at this point) and then pointing to the two rows behind the camera well by the Reds dugout. So they went over and cleared out those two rows too. (for those scoring at home, six rows of fans [who actually paid for their tickets] have now been displaced).

Then the rains came.

But after the rain, the group moved into the dugout seats (I was mildly impressed that they actually had stayed). They were one section over from us and about 6 rows in front of us, so we had a good view of the circus. No less than 12 cops, Reds security people, and private security people encircled the Hanks group. And there were more at the top of the section. I didn't see that much protection for Bush on opening day. (Don't make a comment that will get you banned).

The irony of Reds players who never sign for *regular* fans asking Hanks et al for autographs was not lost on me.

They were pretty into the game. Hanks brother actually wore a Reds cap. Hanks and Opie were on the Kiss Cam. Hanks kept score. Miller and his son left in the 4th, but the rest of the group stayed for the whole game. Opie cheered for Jr.

But I have to wonder. How many millions do you have to be worth, or how many movies do you have to have under your belt before the Reds kiss your and make dozens of little people move from their seats?

Just a couple of parting thoughts. Can anyone ever look at Bucky Dent and not think of his middle name? And Richie A has been the Snappy Tomato Pizza guy for the last two game I have attended, and he's homered both times. Clutch, baby.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Miller isnt a failure. If he is then sign me up to be a failure like him.
    I didn't say he was a failure. I said he was a "has been" comic. He has failed at MNF and failed at talk show on CNBC. He done alright for himself, however. He's not in the category of Hanks and Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    I didn't say he was a failure. I said he was a "has been" comic. He has failed at MNF and failed at talk show on CNBC. He done alright for himself, however. He's not in the category of Hanks and Howard.
    I find Miller to still be amusing even if he is a lefty (his support of Bush notwithstanding). He isnt "mega" superstar like Hanks or Opie but I didnt know that's what this tour was about...

Quote Originally Posted by Creek14
    "A celebrity wants to sit here."

I , and asked if the celebrity was going to pay me for the tickets. I was curtly told we would be moved to seats in the same section.
    You should have just sat there and asked to be reimbursed as you paid for THOSE seats. Make a big arse scene so the big three would have noticed you and perhaps even compensated you. You have to grab those oppurtunities when they are available Creek!

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    You should have just sat there and asked to be reimbursed as you paid for THOSE seats. Make a big arse scene so the big three would have noticed you and perhaps even compensated you. You have to grab those oppurtunities when they are available Creek!
    Actually I was planning on asking for a small speaking roll in the next Hanks/Howard movie. :

One funny thing - at a quiet moment during the game a fan SCREAMED "Wilson". It got a lot of laughs.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

So these guys just roll up in a bus and pretty much demand box seats near the dugout and the Reds comply? Im sorta perturbed by that. Castellini doesnt strike me as an elitist so it suprises me.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Actually I was planning on asking for a small speaking roll in the next Hanks/Howard movie. :
    Maybe if you sat there long enough you could have gotten a leading role.

Or a body double.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Creek, I've just gotta ask, did they kiss?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Despite the inconvience to some fans, I think this tour is good business for MLB. They all talked to the press and talked highly of baseball. You can't buy that type of advertising.

Another thing - how many guys do this on a yearly basis whether they are on a 50th birthday or mid-life crisis, or buddies heading to Spring Break for Spring Training? Obviously they don't use a custom bus, they may use an old station wagon, or a minivan, or fly if they can afford it?

I do a weekend each year where I try to hit 2 parks, close by, in the same weekend. It's not cheap. But its fun to hang out with my dad like that.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?