Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm expecting something bigger than Kyle Lohse

Re: I'm expecting something bigger than Kyle Lohse

I'm expecting something bigger than Kyle Lohse
    Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    but what?

I appreciate your lofty expectations, but Lohse is 6'2, 202. To expect something bigger than him might be a bit of a reach.
    Last edited by VR; 07-23-2006 at 11:50 AM.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by VR
    I appreciate your lofty expectations, but Lohse is 6'2, 202. To expect something bigger than him might be a bit of a reach.
    Zito is 6'4" 210

Zito is 6'4" 210

He and Arroyo can do "Dueling Banjos".
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

maybe it makes Andy Pettitte available. He's throwing well lately...
    Entering play today, Stros are 10 back in the Central. Matinee at Shea today, followed by Harang/Arroyo/Ramirez in Houston.

Odds on Houston going to the post-season are getting longer by the day.

Zito is 6'4" 210
    We have a better chance at Clemens
    Go Gators!

"So Fla Red"

Again, pitching is tighter than ever -- across the board. A lot of deep pocketed contenders currently have major 5th starter black holes in addition to the Reds.

The almighty Yanks sent out the following HOF arms today in a 13-5 drubbing vs. the Jays (now two games behind the Yankees)

Sidney Ponson (2 IP/6 ER)
    Kris Wilson (1.2 IP/4ER) -- 8.64 ERA
    Shawn Chacon (3 IP/3ER) -- 6.67 ERA
    The ageless Ron Villone to mop-up (1 IP/0ER) -- 2.01 ERA

The A's once again today started Esteban Loaiza (he of the 6.75 ERA and 1.72 WHIP) this season

Last night the Cards trotted out DFA fodder Jeff Weaver who managed to shut down the hapless Dodgers over 6IP (1K). Of course so did the '06 STL punching bags in Suppan and Marquis this weekend.

The Mets finally trashed the Lima experiment and seem to have stabilized the rotation with Pelfrey and Orlando Hernandez.

Want pitching that's even half-decent at the deadline -- It's gonna cost a ton, especially any young pitching or a vet with a manageable contract over the next season or two.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

For those who want Zito, just wait till seasons end. A's probably can't afford to keep him and he has pitched well in his contract year so he is probably expected to command AJ Burnett $$ + more. If we want him we will have to outbid teams like the Yankees, Mets, and probably other high market teams. This team has lacked an "Ace" for some time now. Bronson has pitched the most consistant and IMO is this staffs ace. But to go out there and sign a guy like Zito who is 28 years old and makes 8 Mil I could see him comanding a 5 year 60-65 Mil (compared to 5years 55 Mil Burnett recieved). There is no doubt this team is starving for pitching and I think for once this off season need to put the money on the table for an ace like Zito, like Schmidt, like Buerhle.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    For those who want Zito, just wait till seasons end. A's probably can't afford to keep him and he has pitched well in his contract year so he is probably expected to command AJ Burnett $$ + more. If we want him we will have to outbid teams like the Yankees, Mets, and probably other high market teams. This team has lacked an "Ace" for some time now. Bronson has pitched the most consistant and IMO is this staffs ace. But to go out there and sign a guy like Zito who is 28 years old and makes 8 Mil I could see him comanding a 5 year 60-65 Mil (compared to 5years 55 Mil Burnett recieved). There is no doubt this team is starving for pitching and I think for once this off season need to put the money on the table for an ace like Zito, like Schmidt, like Buerhle.
    No way anyone outbids the Mets or Yankees for Zito IMO.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I agree, I just think that is what we need to shoot for in the offseason.. we need a proven "Ace"

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    I agree, I just think that is what we need to shoot for in the offseason.. we need a proven "Ace"
    They may have ~10M to play with, but they've got to fill a couple of holes in the offseason (a MI, closer?, 1-2 rotation pieces). Bigger problem, gotta clear out as much of the $25m in deadweight as possible first. (Milton/KGJ/Larue). Larue might be movable especially if he gets more PT as a showcase the next month.

Dunn is another 12M so you've got $37M just for these four guys.

Not paying Kearns/Lopez the collective ~8M will help. A nice season ticket boost in the offseason would help

Probably going to have to be the trade market to find another #2 type guy.

Zito is going to break the bank and assuming the Yankees miss the playoffs and have huge rotation holes -- Probably going to have to be the trade market to find another #2 type guy for any club outside the 3-4 big spenders.

Think Harang + Arroyo + Homer

With the market for pitching, and even suspect pitching aparently tight, I hope Krivsky is hawking Milton like mad. Yanks, Sox? I would imagine that some team out there will take on Milton and his salary, regardless of the return. This may be the week to unload him and free up salary.
    This place use to be fun

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr
    With the market for pitching, and even suspect pitching aparently tight, I hope Krivsky is hawking Milton like mad. Yanks, Sox? I would imagine that some team out there will take on Milton and his salary, regardless of the return. This may be the week to unload him and free up salary.
    Good solid long term thinking like that went out the window with the "win now" trade. Krivsky has painted himself into a corner and will probably have to make another desperation move before the deadline. Its doesn't take much to figure out the only thing he has left to deal is minor league talent. He'll probably sell the farm to get Lugo to replace the offense he just traded away at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr
    Jerry better start pulling him after 6 in order for anyone to want him.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    He'll probably sell the farm to get Lugo to replace the offense he just traded away at SS.
    the funny part about that would be Lugo looks like an older version of the SS that just left. I would be extremely worried about a player having a career offensive season is his walk year. Let someone else have the risk because he is more likely to regress back to his career norms at his age.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I think he takes less and stays out west, he's a California kid.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?