Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Hatteberg - Better Than Casey

Scott Hatteberg - Better Than Casey

At the beginning of the season, Krivsky and Narron took a lot of heat--some from myself--for making Hatteberg the everyday first baseman, rather than moving Dunn or playing Aurilia there. But as the season has unfolded, I think Scott has proven that he does indeed deserve the first base job, and is actually the type of player many of us had asked the Reds to acquire to replace Sean Casey and his monstrous salary.

Consider, he's putting up offensive numbers better than all but two of Casey's seasons here. His current .900 OPS is over 100 points higher than Casey's last year, he's on pace to finish with more home runs and an equal batting average to 2005 Casey, is getting on base more frequently, and has played all-around superior defense. But the real killer is this: $7,750,000. That's how much MORE Casey is beling paid to ply his trade in Pittsburgh than hatteberg is in Cincinnati. That's almost unfathomable. (Granted, the Reds are picking up part of Casey's salary, but the point remains.)

Since 2004, many Reds fans opined that Casey's talents could be replaced at a mere fraction of the cost of his salary. And the Reds have, essentially, done that and more. I know that some on this board are waiting for the floor to collapse under Hatteberg's shoes, but I think that--nearly 4 months into the season--we can start to assume that he is, in fact, having the best offensive season of his career. And, in doing so, he has become that player that so many of us knew the reds could acquire to replace Casey.

At the beginning of the season, who'd have thought that Hatteberg and Aurilia would have become two of the most consistent performers on this team?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Hatteberg - Better Than Casey

Scott Hatteberg, on-base machine.:
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Scott Hatteberg for Mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Scott Hatteberg for Mayor.
    Does he talk enough??
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

got alil captain in u?

krivsky should sign this man up for next year to the way he's going now

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07
    At least until they establish an eta for Votto or can get Griffey or Dunn to play first.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Does he talk enough??
    Yes, but he comes up woefully short in the hugs department.

No!!!

Take a look at Hatteberg's performance in odd versus even numbered years since the turn of the century. He just can't seem to string together two good seasons in a row. Let Scott pursue a big payday elsewhere in 2007.

Great post, register.

I had no qualms at all with the Hatteberg signing. In fact, I liked it from the beginning, though I did assume when he signed it'd be more for a spot starter/pinch hitter role off the bench. But he's been starting, and he's been producing very well for us, and nobody can complain about that.

Players with above average production at only slightly more than replacement level cost are guys that can really help you win, and that's what Hatteberg's giving us so far this season.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Hatteberg has been an "every other year" player since 2000. Odds are against a repeat performance next year but you never know.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Even though Pittsburgh dumped Williams on us, they are looking pretty stupid, right now, for taking on Sean Casey and his contract.

Actually, they looked stupid then, as well.

There were a lot of people on RedsZone who were very critical of Hatteberg when he was acquired, and instead were calling for the Reds to acquire Carlos Peña or Hee Seop Choi. How do Scott's numbers compare to those two players?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    There were a lot of people on RedsZone who were very critical of Hatteberg when he was acquired, and instead were calling for the Reds to acquire Carlos Peņa or Hee Seop Choi. How do Scott's numbers compare to those two players?
    I applaud Hatteberg for having such a productive year. I still think that Choi could be extremely productive in this ballpark. I'd love to see what he could do.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I don't think he is better than Casey, but this year he has definitely been a better value than Casey. Maybe the title should be changed to reflect that, as that seems to be essential to the conversation.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    Even though Pittsburgh dumped Williams on us, they are looking pretty stupid, right now, for taking on Sean Casey and his contract.

Actually, they looked stupid then, as well.
    Not really, Casey is going to probably fetch the Pirates a prospect come the trade deadline.

That prospect has a better chance of panning out than Dave Williams.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?