Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Four Man Rotation?

Four Man Rotation?

For much of baseball history teams used a straight four man rotation. Harang and Arroyo are more than capable of going deep consistently without tiring. Any chance we could switch to a four man rotation and use a spot starter when one of the four needed an extra day of rest? It would take away the problem of trotting out Mays or some other washed up has been/never will be every fifth night. With the dearth of starting pitching I'm surprised no one has tried it. Starters went more than six innings on "short rest" before and they are more than capable of doing it again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Four Man Rotation?

The Reds tried that a few years back. It failed very badly. You don't want to kill the arms of your pitchers. The simple answer is no.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Over a FULL season, I would say no to a 4 man rotation. Since it is now into the second half of the season, I say go for it. Tom Browning loved it in 1985. (20 game winner)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

goreds have you lost your mind. You have the chance of really hurting your pitcher's arms. Are you forgetting that just a few years back Harang couldn't get past 5 innings?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly
    goreds have you lost your mind. You have the chance of really hurting your pitcher's arms. Are you forgetting that just a few years back Harang couldn't get past 5 innings?
    Pitchers are BABIED too much now. Atlanta's success over the last 14 years was for their pitchers to THROW, THROW andddd THROW. If we cannot get a 5th starter, to win, we should consider this. Plus, there are off days on and off to make up that extra day on occassion.

Do you want pitchers to have healthy arms or do you want some post season action?

I think we disagree on Paul Wilson also. (See my signature.)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    Pitchers are BABIED too much now. Atlanta's success over the last 14 years was for their pitchers to THROW, THROW andddd THROW. If we cannot get a 5th starter, to win, we should consider this. Plus, there are off days on and off to make up that extra day on occassion.

Do you want pitchers to have healthy arms or do you want some post season action?

I think we disagree on Paul Wilson also. (See my signature.)
    While I agree that pitchers are babied a little too much, going to a 4-man rotation is not a good option. Harang is a horse, he might be able to do it. Arroyo has a rubber and could probably do it. But EZ is gradually pitching worse and may be getting a little tired. I don't think he could handle it. Plus, Milton pitching on short rest. Yikes!

I believe Krivsky will add another starter. He has to.

By the way, Wilson will not be up here ASAP and will not help the Reds this year. He got roughed up badly the other day and is going to try to strengthen his arm once again before pitching again. That pretty much ends his chances of joining the Reds this year.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

part of BBN

anyone think reds may be interested in gil meche 9-4 3.83 era ?

Actually, at this moment the Reds have a 4*man rotation. What do I mean--the four are of course, Arroyo, Harang, Milton and Ramirez. If they have a day off and do not need a fifth pitcher, the next pitcher up in the rotation goes--otherwise, they throw a scrub like Mays out there. This will probably continue until the Reds pick up a decent sp man in a trade or Claussen rehabs and throws lights out (I don't expect either to occur).
    Where we gonna go?

Anything that limits the appearances of a number five guy is fine by me.

Thing is, you need guys that are pitch efficient enough to not rack up high pitch counts.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05
    Actually, at this moment the Reds have a 4*man rotation. What do I mean--the four are of course, Arroyo, Harang, Milton and Ramirez. If they have a day off and do not need a fifth pitcher, the next pitcher up in the rotation goes--otherwise, they throw a scrub like Mays out there. This will probably continue until the Reds pick up a decent sp man in a trade or Claussen rehabs and throws lights out (I don't expect either to occur).
    True, but this is pretty much stndard practice for a five man rotation.

Turn Off Ads?