Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: July 20 minor league updates

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,672

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    Ward's also got a nice 3/4 delivery that will keep shoulder problems to a null, though the increased pressure on the elbow comes from that type of delivery. Though I guess TJ is better than rotator cuff. I wonder if that is the type of delivery Krivsky will look for most often from pitchers?

    Bailey on the otherhand has a over the top motion that puts no pressure on the elbow, but a good deal on the shoulder, thus slowly building up his stamina is necessary while he has a good throwing motion, overwork could damage him at this stage. He actually got pulled from the area code games before his Sr. year in HS due to arm discomfort and had a bought with mild tendanitis last year. So far his handlers in HS and the Reds have done a good job not overworking him coupled with that fluid release, he should stay as healthy as a horse. Josh Beckett has that similiar over the top delivery and lack of innings early on in his career surely have staved off arm trouble as he completely grew. Mark Prior on the otherhand.............

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member CTA513's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,719

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    Someone named Chad Bentz just pitched the 8th inning for the Louisville Bats.
    1 IP, 0 Hits, 0 Runs, 1 BB, 0 K

  4. #18
    Member Buckeye33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    2,410

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    Chattanooga won 6-1.

    Pelland 5.2 IP 2 H 1 R 3 K 3 BB
    Shafer 1.1 IP 2 H 0 R 2 K 0 BB
    Coutlangus 2 IP o H o R 1 K 0 BB
    Votto 2-4 BB R SB (16)
    Varner 2-4 2 RBI (59)
    Matta = Really good

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    441

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Zach Ward pitching for Dayton: 4IP, 2H, 0R, 2BB, 1K (6GO, 3 FO)

    His ERA is now down to 2.36. I really don't think he's got a lot to prove by retiring low-A hitters anymore.
    I think the same arguement could be made for Bruce.

    He needs to be challenged by better pitching.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33
    Chattanooga won 6-1.

    Pelland 5.2 IP 2 H 1 R 3 K 3 BB
    Shafer 1.1 IP 2 H 0 R 2 K 0 BB
    Coutlangus 2 IP o H o R 1 K 0 BB
    Votto 2-4 BB R SB (16)
    Varner 2-4 2 RBI (59)
    Tyler Pelland just outpitched Scott Elbert, the prize Dodger's prospect. He is showing great aptitude at Chattanooga this year in his first full year as a starter - I hope he stays healthy.

    Chattanooga
    Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    Pelland (W, 6-3) 5.2 2 1 1 3 3 0 3.35
    Shafer 1.1 2 0 0 0 2 0 1.91
    Coutlangus 2.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2.15

    Jacksonville
    Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    Elbert (L, 2-1) 5.0 8 5 5 2 4 2 3.38
    Kozlowski 2.0 1 0 0 0 4 0 1.94
    Alvarez, C 2.0 2 1 0 2 4 0 3.61

  7. #21
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,158

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Another homer off of Wilson.

    9-0

    At this point in the season, you are not going to make a roster move to accomodate Paul Wilson. Release him and let everyone get back to business.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  8. #22
    White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Tybee Island, GA
    Posts
    1,943

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Someone named Chad Bentz just pitched the 8th inning for the Louisville Bats.
    1 IP, 0 Hits, 0 Runs, 1 BB, 0 K
    Journeyman lefty. IIRC, he's the 2nd pitcher (Jim Abbott, of course, being the first) to play MLB after being born with only one hand.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

  9. #23
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,925

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Journeyman lefty. IIRC, he's the 2nd pitcher (Jim Abbott, of course, being the first) to play MLB after being born with only one hand.
    Ironic that the Reds have a guy named Jim Abbott in their system then.

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,344

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    Jon Coutlangus is a guy who I always look for in the box score. Of all the relief pitchers with good numbers at AA, I think he is the one most likely to help us next year.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    146

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    I don't understand why all of you are giving up on him and already saying "I told you so" in regard to the Reds drafting of Stubbs. No one in this draft was ready for the major leagues when they were drafted. They all have something they need to develop. For Stubbs, unfortunatley it is his bat. Don't throw him out the window because he has had a subpar start.

    Miguel Cabrera in rookie ball: AVG: .260 HR 2 RBI 22 SLG .352 OBP .344 in 57 games. Granted he was 17 years old at the time, but he was considered a phenom. Just because they struggle in a small sample size doesn't mean they always have to struggle.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    RF - You will find out that there are some guys who will get a longer a leash on REDSZONE than others. Stubbs seems to have fallen into the latter category and I suspect that it will dog him for the rest of his REDS career. If he isn't producing phenomenal stats day in day out he will be ridden hard.

  13. #27
    We are the angry mob cincyinco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The 303
    Posts
    2,540

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    Say what you will about Stubbs, but he's sure looked pretty good lately.

    Oh yeah, Oil Can Boyd Jr. had a nice debut too it appears. This kid is a real wildcard... He could turn into one of our better pitching prospects.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

    -Hunter S. Thompson

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic
    I don't understand why all of you are giving up on him and already saying "I told you so" in regard to the Reds drafting of Stubbs. No one in this draft was ready for the major leagues when they were drafted. They all have something they need to develop. For Stubbs, unfortunatley it is his bat. Don't throw him out the window because he has had a subpar start.

    Miguel Cabrera in rookie ball: AVG: .260 HR 2 RBI 22 SLG .352 OBP .344 in 57 games. Granted he was 17 years old at the time, but he was considered a phenom. Just because they struggle in a small sample size doesn't mean they always have to struggle.
    actually, I'm quite happy that Stubbs came in and took some walks and hasn't struck out at an alarming pace. I remember when Dane Sardinha showed up and didn't draw a walk in his first 80 appearances. He immediately became easy to project, and he hasn't gone against that projection by hitting.

    Billings is in a league of fastballs and bad curveballs. Stubbs should rake. Even Mike Frank raked in Billings. If Stubbs does rake, then there's a chance for him. But if he doesn't, then given his age, there's probably not much chance for him to make a major league impact-- more likely he'd project to a late-inning defender. A lot of games are still left, and I'm pulling for him.

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fairfield
    Posts
    1,397

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    4 er for paul wilson and 9 runs sounds like the day rameirz picthed lol remember guys the key thing to this is 4 earn runs in 5 innings he actually lasted pretty long
    <a href=http://www.signaturebar.com/><img src=http://www.signaturebar.com/uploads/images/51550.gif border=0></a>

  16. #30
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,822

    Re: July 20 minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    actually, I'm quite happy that Stubbs came in and took some walks and hasn't struck out at an alarming pace. I remember when Dane Sardinha showed up and didn't draw a walk in his first 80 appearances. He immediately became easy to project, and he hasn't gone against that projection by hitting.

    Billings is in a league of fastballs and bad curveballs. Stubbs should rake. Even Mike Frank raked in Billings. If Stubbs does rake, then there's a chance for him. But if he doesn't, then given his age, there's probably not much chance for him to make a major league impact-- more likely he'd project to a late-inning defender. A lot of games are still left, and I'm pulling for him.
    just curious...what type of end-of-season numbers would Stubbs have to put up to ease your concerns????


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25