Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Take a deep breath... Remember we're still in first

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Take a deep breath... Remember we're still in first

I've been just as frustrated as anyone else with some of the recent games but the attitude around here has taken a turn for the worst. Lets keep in mind that we played the best team in the National League very tough the last three days. Have we endured too many years of losing to enjoy winning? It seems like many people are just waiting for the Reds to fail and with one loss proclaim the season over. Lets all stop and think about this: we're in first place in the WC. Also, as much as anyone can question the Reds, the Cardinals are also shaky and vulnerable. I really believe that this is our year to return to the playoffs and we can do some damage in the National League. I haven't been this excited about the Reds this late in the year for a long time so I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the playoff chase.

Re: Take a deep breath... Remember we're still in first

Yeah, and their record is right where it was in 2004, when the wheels finally came completely off.................

Is this 2004? How many players/coaches/management from that team still remain?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak
    Is this 2004? How many players/coaches/management from that team still remain?
    Ya beat me to it. I like the way you think.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Yeah, and their record is right where it was in 2004, when the wheels finally came completely off.................
    IMO that is totally irrelevant, this is a totally different team in a much weaker division, actually a much weaker LEAGUE. I just fail to see how their record in 2004 has any pull on what goes on this year, as this isn't the first time I've seen this brought up in the last week on this board. I don't see this team falling apart at all.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Good positive post. Thanks for contributing and proving my point.

What no one wants to listen to the madman with the lamp?

While I agree this team is better than the 2004 model, Aronchis has got a point.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky
    I've been just as frustrated as anyone else with some of the recent games but the attitude around here has taken a turn for the worst. Lets keep in mind that we played the best team in the National League very tough the last three days. Have we endured too many years of losing to enjoy winning? It seems like many people are just waiting for the Reds to fail and with one loss proclaim the season over. Lets all stop and think about this: we're in first place in the WC. Also, as much as anyone can question the Reds, the Cardinals are also shaky and vulnerable. I really believe that this is our year to return to the playoffs and we can do some damage in the National League. I haven't been this excited about the Reds this late in the year for a long time so I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the playoff chase.
    The Reds season has been fun and so has this site. THANKS.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Reds had numerous opportunities to win the game but couldn't drive in the runs when they were in scoring position. Frankly, this game should have never gone to the 10th inning. I blame the hitters more than the pitching for the loss.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

The Mets are the consensus class of the NL. The Reds just took the Mets into extra innings before losing the rubber match of the season series (4 games to 3) with them.

If this was October and the Reds had just lost a playoff series 4 games to 3 like they lost today, I would be very upset. However seeing as how the Reds are still at least a game up in the WC and trail the Cardinals by 4 in the division (the same Cardinals against whom the Reds currently stand 5-2 this year), I am hopefull rather than angry.

What I hope is that the Reds quit playing to the level of their opposition and instead go out and jump all over the Brewers, Astros, Cubs, Pirates etc. the rest of the season and manage at least a split aganst the Dodgers, Pads, and Giants plus split the remaining games with the Cards. They have shown they are capable of doing this. If they do it, they should make the playoffs.

As for folds, yes the Reds could fold. However, they are now 3 to 6 weeks deeper into the season and still in contention than they were when they pulled el foldo acts in the last 5 years. There is new ownership, new management, and a lot of the roster has been turned over. Thus I see no reason to suspect (expect) a fold just because the team is the Reds and they have folded a couple times in the recent past. To date this year's team seems to have a lot more in common with the 1999 team than those teams that folded early in the current century. Let's hope they are still in contention and turn out to have just a game more to their favor relative to the competition than that '99 team did in the last week of September.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 07-21-2006 at 12:23 AM.

I think people are still bummed out by the trade. Its time to move on. We've got Majewski, Bray, and Clayton now, and this is our team.

Anyone know how traffic has been on this site this week? Seems like a lot less than usual, or maybe I've just been around more often this week.

After the All Star Break I think they are playing much better baseball..We lost a very close one today to the best team in the NL, I think we have a very good shot at making the playoffs, the race will be tight but their play after the break has got me hopeful..

Reds deserved to lose today.You don't have back to back innings with the bases juiced and not score at least a run.

I like Rich Aurilia but I sure didn't realize he was that slow afoot coming down the baseline. When I saw Valentin attempting that throw I said no way in hell does he get him. It wasn't even close.And He threw it while he was a bit off balance to boot.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Turn Off Ads?