Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Willis to the Cards?

Willis to the Cards?

This would hurt. If Florida wants this much, Cincy never would have been in the mix.

The Cardinals message boards are lighting up, and with good reason: there is a legitimate Dontrelle Willis rumor making the rounds.

The thread was started by a respected Cards source who goes by the handle Hawg Wild. I can confirm that this guy has a track record of success. Colby Rasmus is a 19 year-old outfielder in high Class A. He was a first-round pick and is easily the team's best prospect now that Anthony Reyes is in the bigs. According to Rasmus's father:

"Colby just called me and said his agent told him of conversations the cardinals were having with the possibility of Colby and a three or four other Cardinal players going to Florida in return for Dontrelle Willis. Reyes and Colby were the only 2 players Colby was told about, he did not hear who the other 2/3 players were. His words to me, 'Man that sucks.'"

Then to quiet any doubters, St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz stepped in:

"I tried to drop a major hint in today's column....FLA wants Reyes, Rasmus and Duncan -- and that's not all. Probably one more... possibly their pick of the Cardinals' system."

The Cardinals need a big move; it looks like Walt Jocketty may package everything he's got to get D-Train.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Re: Willis to the Cards?

This would really hurt. With Kearns and Lopez now gone, there is not a package we could put together get Willis. I have been wanting Willis all season. I think Phillips, Bailey, and EE could have gotten Willis. But now, after the trade we could not afford to to this.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

I'll believe it when I see it. I think the Fishes have every intentions of building their young rotation around Willis.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    I'll believe it when I see it. I think the Fishes have every intentions of building their young rotation around Willis.
    I hope so..

Personally, I hope they're trying to build their young team around Eric Milton or Rich Aurilia. A couple of solid vets for the young guys to learn how to play to game from.

(Is that too much to ask, should I not hold my breath?)

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red
    Personally, I hope they're trying to build their young team around Eric Milton or Rich Aurilia. A couple of solid vets for the young guys to learn how to play to game from.

(Is that too much to ask, should I not hold my breath?)
    Maybe Royce Clayton, Jason LaRue, and Scott Hatteberg would be part of those plans as well?

Man Pills

I like Jocketty's method: pimp some minor league sculch hard to put a MLB team on the field.

It's never not worked for the guy.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    This would really hurt. With Kearns and Lopez now gone, there is not a package we could put together get Willis. I have been wanting Willis all season. I think Phillips, Bailey, and EE could have gotten Willis. But now, after the trade we could not afford to to this.
    Why not throw in Dunn while you are at it... No way I would trade those three for Willis...

Cards would be able to sign him to a LTC much easier than the Reds.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I like Jocketty's method: pimp some minor league sculch hard to put a MLB team on the field.

It's never not worked for the guy.
    Mulder, Mark

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    Mulder, Mark
    Eh. He's hurt. And he did a bang-up job last season, let's not forget.

He'll be back.

He'll be back.
    And Dan Haren will probably out preform him.

"So Fla Red"

He'll be back.
    We'll see, he's really not been the same since before he started having hip issues in Oakland. He's been under a 5 K/9 IP and a 1.6K/BB since arriving in STL -- by some on this board those metrics would qualify him for DFA status... Put him behind the Reds defensive circus/limited range bunch and watch that ERA skyrocket even further

Cards have the luxury of being a large revenue team (thanks to the 3M+ they routinely pull in the gate). They can take a bigger chance on an impending mega-FA since it is almost 100% assured they take on no risk of retaining the prize. Plus they can go into the FA market and fill any critical gaps (which is 3/5s of their rotation these days).

Assuring the Reds could keep Willis, it makes trading a Bailey a lot less painful.

They would be fools to turn down an offer of talent like that.
    Go Gators!

Reyes has better stuff than Willis, and makes several million dollars less per year.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Reyes has better stuff than Willis, and makes several million dollars less per year.
    I know it's objective, but I just can't see anything resembling that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?