Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: The First Concert You Attended

Re: The First Concert You Attended

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    70's too...
    Back when teen drinking was frowned upon, but allowed as long as the kids stuck to beer and didn't crack open Dad's whiskey.

And "Billy, why do you keep licking that Mickey Mouse sticker?"
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Back when teen drinking was frowned upon, but allowed as long as the kids stuck to beer and didn't crack open Dad's whiskey.
    Famous quotes from my 70's.

Just one...

You can drink as long as we know where you are....

You're drunk... go to bed....

Open the window it's me....

Kiss - Hara Arena, December 31, 1987.

dmb at deer creek 97 or 98, back when d could still sing.

referencing an earlier post..."I have a fever".
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Somewhat reasonable

I'm not proud of it, but the first show I saw was Anne Murray at the Ohio State Fair when I was about nine or 10.

The first show I ever went to that I wanted to attend was Run DMC/Public Enemy/EPMD/DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince/Salt'n'Pepa at Riverfront Coliseum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner

Although I am embarrassed by having been there, it pales in comparison to the shame anyone who ever went to a Styx concert must feel.

Even the band members are ashamed of themselves for having been a part of that.

Man Dom, you don't have to rub it in.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Man Dom, you don't have to rub it in.

Was Styx the "Making Love Out of Nothing At All" band? Or was that Air Supply?

I get those two bands confused all the time.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    New Kids on the Block.

I was 5, and my parents dragged me along. My sister, who was 10 or so, was obsessed. I'm proud to say that I hated the concert, and the band.
    Wow, you know, I didn't think I could feel any worse about the New Kids being MY first concert, and then you have to go and mention that a) you were a good seven years younger than I was, and b) you already had the good sense to hate it. I thought I was in heaven.

In all fairness, I've seen some extraordinary concerts since then, so I really don't care how the run began...and the New Kids probably did put on a good show, for what they were

Great thread here -- lots of good stories and nostalgia.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Everclear in 1995 at Bogart's. (With Seven Mary Three and Ruth Ruth- all three for $8.) Even though they haven't been my favorite band since about 1998 (and more recent fare like "Volvo Driving Soccer Mom" and "Hater" are embarrasingly lame), I held on to the shirt I got at that show and now wear it around Portland to try and make people think I've been living here all that time. It's gotten a few compliments. Too bad I didn't have it on when I saw Art sitting in a window seat at Jake's Grill a few months back.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Was Styx the "Making Love Out of Nothing At All" band? Or was that Air Supply?

I get those two bands confused all the time.

That would be Air Supply. They're the ones totally incapable of rocking, as opposed to Styx simply disliking rock for dinero-related reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    This always makes me laugh. Yeah, things were so much simpler when they were shooting presidents, MLK, presidential candidates, we were in Vietnam....

If only we could have lived during the age of Jackson, where poeple simply went out in a field to duel to solve their differences and there was no television and no air conditioning.

MMMbop was just out 10 years ago...oh, what a simpler time that must have been.
    Adult life has been, essentially, a series of kicks in the balls ever since the beginning of time.

Young life has been, comparatively, simpler than adult life. Therefore, often more enjoyable.

People confuse their youth with their adult life and project that on the times.

Too bad I didn't have it on when I saw Art sitting in a window seat at Jake's Grill a few months back.
    His office is down the street from pedro's house, I saw him at LOTR (he's as big as a Hobitt)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    1977 Doobie Brothers, Huntington Civic Center.
    That would have been the first year the Huntington Civic Center opened. I still have my tickets to the first act booked in the Civic Center, but Elvis Presley failed to appear for that scheduled September 1977 concert; his death was cited as the excuse for the no-show.
    I saw the Doobies in concert at the Huntington Memorial Field House as part of Marshall's homecoming in around 1975.
    I believe that the first concert I ever attned was a Mac Davis performance in Charleston in 1974. I really enjoyed his performance.
    Probably my favorite concerts over the years would include a John Denver concert "in the round" at the Huntington Civic Center in the early 1980s; a couple of Alabama shows in the mid-1980s; Martina McBride at Kings Island a few years ago; and Brad Paisley in Huntington in February of this year.
    My least favorite concert was one by The Beach Boys in the early 1980s; they are better in the studio. I was also disappointed by Linda Ronstadt-great voice but no stage presence.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

My first concert, I'm ashamed to say was Huey Louis at Bogarts in 1987 or so.

My first real concert (IMO) was AC/DC on the Razors Edge tour in 1991. LA Guns opened for them. They played the Nutter Center which is on the campus of Wright State Universty, where I was attending university.

My favorite concert, however, has been the Black Crowes at Bogarts in Cincinnati. Very reminicent of late 1960's stones. Think Mick Jagger at Madison Square Garden wearing the tophat and unitard and that's pretty much the act Chris Robinson was putting on. Metallica and Aerosmith put on good showes, but the Black Crowes show was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    My favorite concert, however, has been the Black Crowes at Bogarts in Cincinnati. Very reminicent of late 1960's stones. Think Mick Jagger at Madison Square Garden wearing the tophat and unitard and that's pretty much the act Chris Robinson was putting on. Metallica and Aerosmith put on good showes, but the Black Crowes show was the best.
    We got to see the Black Crowes at Memorial Hall in Dayton back in '92...excellent show.

Turn Off Ads?