Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The First Concert You Attended

Re: The First Concert You Attended

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    This was just after 'Ten' had hit the charts - RHCP's were playing a lot of funk type stuff - and Eddie Vetter didn't play a lot of loud stuff - except Evenflow.

It was a very mellow rock crowd that day. Verrrrry Mellow.
    Really.. that was the guitar lollapalloza IIRC, Jesus Mary Chain/Soundgarden/Ministry, pure fuzz... SG had chainlink fence covering their amps (Marshalls) and they stuck their guitars between the ampface and the fence and turned it up as they left. Ministry did "So What" and the whole joint (Mt View Ampitheater for me) went crazy....

2. Turn Off Ads?

1991, Skid Row was the headliner, Soundgarden opened. So now whenever the question arises about which band was the first I saw in concert I answer with Soundgarden though at the time I'd never ever heard of them. Oh, Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, TN.

One month later I saw my all time favorite band Metallica during the 'An Evening With Metallica Tour' I've seen them quite a few times since then as well culminating with the last ever show they played, at Rupp Arena. I don't consider this shamockery of a thing going on now to be Metallica anymore. Newsted was the man, and when he left it dropped off, so much so that I didn't even go to see them on the last tour even though my wife bought me tickets. I took the change in the band pretty hard, equating it to a divorce of your parents. I grew up on the 'tallica boys, and they screwed around and pushed away one of their own, so I 'walked' too.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Moving Sidewalks?
    Nah. For a long time, I thought I remembered that Tractor was the 3rd band. But I recently looked it up and I had my shows wrong (Tractor was Rod Stewart/Deep Purple at Hara circa 1971).

I think it was either the Magic Mushrooms or Rick and the Raiders. But its just too darn long ago.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Oh, Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, TN.
    What a hole.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    My son went on a Mission Trip this summer and one of the adult chaperones was a guy about my age. My son said he was playing some mix CD's one of which was the Moody Blues, the first band I ever saw in concert.
    I have to admit that they were one of the best concerts I had ever seen. I saw them in Cincy (early '81) right after Lennon wsa murdered. They did a really nice tribute.

They continue to be one of my favorite bands.

I was serving overseas in the military during the early-mid 70's - so I not only missed the BRM, but also alot of great concerts. My first was in the mid-70's down in Columbia, S.C, while stationed in Charleston, when several of us hopped in the van and went up to see Marshall Tucker and the Outlaws (the "guitar army").

We were on our way down (running late) to see the Who in '79 in Cincy when the tragedy happened.

I wanted to get leave to come back home to Ohio in '77 and see Pink Floyd's Animals tour; but couldn't swing it. Had several buddies go, and I'm still bummed to this day. The closest I got was seeing Gilmour's "About Face" tour in '82.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2003, Mercy Me

I'm not a big concert goer
    Go Gators!

Loudest I have ever been to?

AC/DC - Hara Arena (1979)
    Aerosmith -UD Arena (1978) (they stunk too). But I went and saw them again in the mid-80s when they cleaned up, and they were pretty darn good.

Anyone ever go to the Legend Valley concerts in the late 70's/early 80's just east of Columbus? It felt like Woodstock!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2/14/84 - The Police, Synchronicity; Riverfront Colesium.

Eighth grade. I snuck up to the fifth row and grabbed the empty seat next to the owner of Everbody's Records with security trailing me. She agreed to pretend to be my mom. I still have the audio cassette that was rolling inside my jacket pocket.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Nah. For a long time, I thought I remembered that Tractor was the 3rd band. But I recently looked it up and I had my shows wrong (Tractor was Rod Stewart/Deep Purple at Hara circa 1971).

I think it was either the Magic Mushrooms or Rick and the Raiders. But its just too darn long ago.
    What's that they say? If you can rememeber it, you weren't there????

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

1988 Def Leppard - HYSTERIA Tour
    I believe that Tesla opened up the show.

I bought this T-Shirt:

Last edited by gonelong; 07-21-2006 at 04:27 PM.

Aerosmith -UD Arena (1978) (they stunk too).
    Ughh did they ever, that was the worst concert I ever saw...

I wanted to get leave to come back home to Ohio in '77 and see Pink Floyd's Animals tour;
    I soooo wanted to go to that too, did catch The Divison Bell Tour and Roger Waters Radio Kaos though.

We were on our way down (running late) to see the Who in '79 in Cincy when the tragedy happened.
    I was at ticketmaster and they sold out 4 people before me.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I was there the year before, when Janes Addiction headlined, I had front row seats... the whole lawn rushed the stage and it was one waving giant mass of humanity down in the pavillion, easily one of the top 5 shows I've ever seen, and I've been to at least 400 shows of the rock variety.
    I actually worked both shows. In those days I was an usher at Blossom Music Center. My friends and I had enough pull to where we would work the first half of the show and get the second half the show off. The first one was just crazy. At one point the ushers just gave up checking tickets and just tried to make sure things didn't get out of hand. The funniest thing that happened was when an usher named "Lumpy" got fired when he went up to the manager of Living Colour and a vice president of MCA Records, who were sitting on the edge of the stage toward one of the wings, and told them to "get the <blank> off 'my' <blankety-blank> stage." This is the same usher who failed to recognize Henry Mancini when he was guest conducting the Cleveland Orchestra. He told Mr. Mancini, who was mingling with the patrons, to sit down because the concert was about to start. Mr. Mancini replied, "The show can't start yet. I haven't put on my jacket."

The second Lollapalooza at Blossom was memorable because it was a sloppy mess of a rainstorm and kids were doing mudslides down the lawn. My supervisor (Head of Security) got in trouble because he told off Eddie Vedder after Eddie ran out and joined the kids in the mudsliding.

I believe this was also the year that my ACL was destroyed when I was down in the "Pit." At that time they only had barriers that just dropped into holes in the concrete floor of the Pavilion. I had just changed into my civvies and entered the back of the pit when someone figured out that the barriers could be lifted up out of their moorings with little trouble. Right as I'm turning around, the barrier hits me in the knee and I get trampled by about 20 people. Suddenly a guy with a mohawk and a girl with pink hair lifted the barrier and got me up. As they were carrying me over to the side, a couple of Akron U. football players who my boss had hired as security for the show grabbed us and started beating us up. I even had my Blossom ID out and was yelling that I was hurt. Then they dropped us over by the sheriff's detail so that we could be arrested. I was able to show my ID and got them to take me to first aid.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

1964 - The Cowsills

First *real* concert. 1973 - Blue Oyster Cult
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    First *real* concert. 1973 - Blue Oyster Cult
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?