Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The First Concert You Attended

Re: The First Concert You Attended

198? Aerosmith, fresh off rehab (Done with Mirrors) opened for Rush (Grace under Pressure) in the Rochester NY War Memorial. Niel Pert's drum solo is the lasting memory.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Back in the day I never even thought of that happening, I just said I wanted to go and had to get the tickets for myself, my folks didn't even think twice about it.

Hurray for the 70's!!
    Well, for the 93 show, she thought I went to Cedar Point all day I was a sophomore, and went with a couple of female seniors
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Barry11
    Well, to each his or her own, I suppose. I guess I don't have the best taste in music.
    I just said that because I know a few people that like Incubus, however feel everything after "Make Yourself" went downhill.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    I just said that because I know a few people that like Incubus, however feel everything after "Make Yourself" went downhill.
    Yeah, I've heard people say that there was a major difference. I've never heard their earlier music, so I couldn't be the judge. "Make Yourself" is definitely my favorite, though.

I'm not too picky about music... I'll listen to whatever is on the radio, basically. And showtunes of course!!
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    1987, Kansas Coliseum in Wichita - Bryan Adams w/ opening act The Hooters.
    I saw that tour at Louisville's Freedom Hall the same summer..

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    1988 Def Leppard - HYSTERIA Tour
    I believe that Tesla opened up the show.

I bought this T-Shirt:

Yep, it was Tesla. I caught this tour at Freedom Hall, as well.

Ahh, 1987. What a year!

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Well, I'm a bit of a young'in, and also sort of a late bloomer onto the concert scene, so my first real one was The Roots with Talib Kweli and someone else back in '99 (? might have been 2000, I don't remember) at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia. And now it's all coming full circle as I'll be seeing The Roots again tomorrow down at Bogart's.

Man Pills

Kiss/Judas Priest

Riverfront Colisseum, 1979.

My first show was the Beach Boys at a Boy Scout Jamboree when I was 14. My first real show on my own was R.E.M on the Green Tour at the Richfield Coliseum. The Indigo Girls opened.

Having worked at Blossom Music Center for 3 years, I've seem many acts, from Natalie Cole to Iron Maiden. I would say Rush, Iron Maiden, Elton John and the Beach Boys put on some of the best stage shows in their heyday. Eric Clapton was pretty memorable. John Denver was surreal, as he actually played on through a tornado. Metallica and the Lollapalooza shows were something else. Jimmy Buffett shows were crazy, loaded with horny drunk people almost my parents' age. Tesla was the worst. You know it's bad when they actually ask people to come in off the lawn to make the pavilion look more full (they came through about two years after the whole "hard-rockin' hair band" thing had blown over).

My favorite shows have always been the ones in smaller clubs. Weezer and Lush at the Odeon in Cleveland. Dead Milkmen and Dink at Peabody's Down Under.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

at Peabody's Down Under.
    Nice place, I saw New Grass Revival there.

Stryper with Hurricane as the opening act, early spring 1987. I was a freshman at Wehrle High School

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    What a hole.
    You can say that again.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I saw INXS open for Men at Work at Timberwolf the summer of '83. Sounds like we had a similar concert year.
    Yeah- they sold out the show with INXS so they added another one either a day before or after- I got stuck with seeing the Raisins. They were good- they just weren't INXS.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Barry11
    And showtunes of course!!

Shapoopy!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Back in the day I never even thought of that happening, I just said I wanted to go and had to get the tickets for myself, my folks didn't even think twice about it.

Hurray for the 70's!!
    Some years ago I won tickets from WVXU for The Bare Naked Ladies, so I took my son, then in Jr. High. Guster was the opening act and about a year later we were touring colleges with my oldest daughter. At Wittenberg, they were talking about groups who had come to campus and the guide said Guster had just been there. I said I'd heard of them, maybe had seen them, then she said they'd toured with BNL. She was very impressed that an old guy would know a newer band and I gained esteem in my daughter's eyes for a brief moment to boot.

I remember going to see Stephan Stills at the Gardens and I ran into a student teacher we had and I didn't know what to call him. It blew my mind, as one would say then.

Some of my top concerts, not all rock, are Clapton on the Derek & the Dominos tour at Music Hall. I saw Benny Goodman and Roberta Flack at Riverfront for a Bicentennial Concert. I also took in Woody Herman at Bogarts and went around the crowd during a break. "Howya doing, man!" he'd call out. Saw B.B. King, along with a lot of other folks at the 1971 Jazz Festival, also at Riverfront. And the only time I ever saw an opening act get an encore was Carole King opening for James Taylor before her Tapestry album had come out. She played one of her old songs and we're like, "Who is this? She can't be that old!".

I saw Flickerstick at Bogart's after they won on the VH1 show "Bands on the run".

Great show. Love that band. I wish VH1 would bring that show back.

Turn Off Ads?