Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 50 greatest games in Reds history

Re: 50 greatest games in Reds history

Someone has it in its sig line - The 1974 game with Tony Perez hitting the grandslam to win the game 15-14 or something. I'm confused.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    Also would put Game one of the July 1,1973 DH against the Dodgers. This started an amazing comeback for the Reds to win the NL Western Division.

That's the first one I thought of.

I remember thinking...if Hal King could blast a 3-run homer here, it could be the be the swing in momentum that the REDS would need to overtake the Dodgers.

As amazing as wire-to-wire Champions are (the 1990 REDS, and yes, media, many of the REDS fans knew we were that much better than the A's), there's nothing like summer-long comebacks, ala the '95 Mariners, the '55? Giants, etc.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

You guys have come up with a bunch.

I can't think of a ton from the first half of the last century. Yeah, the Reds won a couple of World Series', but there were some lean times.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    I would also add game 6 of the NLCS in 1990. That was the game the Reds won 2-1 as Jackson, Charlton and Myers threw a combined 1 hitter. Glenn Braggs made the great catch in right to rob a home run and the Reds went on to the World Series.
    For some reason, that was the very first game that came to mind for me. I had doubted the Reds' ability to make it to the World Series the whole year, and I continued to doubt during the NLCS. When Braggs went up over the wall to catch that ball hit by Carmello Martinez, I think it finally sank in. The Reds were going back to the World Series after a fourteen year wait. I've still got that game on tape, and it gives me cold chills every time I watch that play by Braggs.

As for the other greatest games, what about the first game played at Riverfront, June 1970?

I would also nominate the game in 1984 (I think) that Tony Perez became the oldest player to ever hit a grand slam. It was great to not only see Tony back in a Reds uniform, but doing well.

And let's not forget that day in 1998 (I think) when the Reds starting outfield consisted of Dmitri Young, Mike Frank, and Chris Stynes; Young, Frank, and Stynes. (Okay, I'm kidding about this being among the greatest games.)

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    The more I think about it, that home run may have been the biggest single play in Reds history.

Davis stepped up to Goliath and gave him a bloody nose. Nobody gave us a snowballs chance until that moment. You could just feel the mood shift, and the rout was on.
    That was beautiful. I was at work and snuck a peak at one of the TV's ....the exhilaration was unreal. It moved.

I had the pleasure of being at game 4 that year. Very very special. If you have the video, you can hear me cheering at the end of the game, 'cause I was the only one.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

"So Fla Red"

Agree -- Games 1 & 2 1990 WS and Game 6 1990 NLCS were incredible.

Game 2 of the NLCS was also unbelievable too. While sitting in the nosebleed RF red seats by the foul pole, I remember Big O'Neill making an almost impossible throw to double-up Van Slyke at third I think that was another 2-1 game. That series was amazing and that was one good Pirates team. I had much better seats for Game 6 though

How about this one -- just looked up the date... Aug 3, 1989 -- Reds vs. Astros. Reds score 14 runs and get 16 hits -- in the first inning.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    And let's not forget that day in 1998 (I think) when the Reds starting outfield consisted of Dmitri Young, Mike Frank, and Chris Stynes; Young, Frank, and Stynes. (Okay, I'm kidding about this being among the greatest games.)
    I think that goes in with the Larkin, Boone, Larkin, Boone infield game. I can't remember what I posted, but I think that was 1998 also.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    Agree -- Games 1 & 2 1990 WS and Game 6 1990 NLCS were incredible.

Game 2 of the NLCS was also unbelievable too. While sitting in the nosebleed RF red seats by the foul pole, I remember Big O'Neill making an almost impossible throw to double-up Van Slyke at third I think that was another 2-1 game. That series was amazing and that was one good Pirates team. I had much better seats for Game 6 though

How about this one -- just looked up the date... Aug 3, 1989 -- Reds vs. Astros. Reds score 14 runs and get 16 hits -- in the first inning.
    I was at that game where O'Neill threw out Van Slyke over on the leftfield side.

And I remember that Astros game because the game started right around the time I was leaving for lunch, took the rest of the day off to take my kids to the pool and the inning continued all through lunch and up until we got to the Y to swim!

Hey, everyone, some guy named John Vander Meer said "Hello".
    Twice.
    :

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Opening Day 1912 - Redland Field Opens

1921 - June - First ball hit over the wall in Cincinnati Reds History

WOY- you mean no Reds player ever hit one over the wall before this?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I was at game two of the 90 NLCS as well, sitting in the green seats in right field close to the foul pole. I had a good view of O'Neill making the throw, thought it was a decent throw, saw nothing but dust at third base, and then went nuts when the umpire made the out call.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    WOY- you mean no Reds player ever hit one over the wall before this?

Redland was a hard park to get a HR in. In 1921, the Reds hit 5 HRs, and allowed only 2 in official games at Redland. I believe only two of the Reds 5 were over the wall, and one by their opponents.

Before June 1921, no National League player had hit a ball over the outfield wall in fair territory in the history of Redland Field. And only four times in foul territory.

I've heard that the HOF has the bat Pat Duncan used to hit that first one.

In late May of that same year, John Beckwith became the first player to hit a home run over the wall at Redland field in a Negro League game.

What.....no 1982 or 1983 games make anyone's list?

I like those obscure yearly games.

In 1969....after an 18-16 game vs the Phillies......a columnist (not from Cincy) first coined THE BIG RED MACHINE in an article about the team.

The 1974 game with TP hitting a GS.....as mentioned by an earlier poster.

A game in 1976 where the Reds scored like 5 runs in the ninth to beat Mike Marshall in Cincy......to haste MM's arm out of town to ATL for Dusty Baker.

That 23-9 drubbing of ATL in 1977.
    2 more from 1977..... 15-13 W vs ATL..... 16-15 or something like that...L...vs CHI in 1977.

I just like those high scoring games.

"So Fla Red"

Couple others

1984: Pete's first game as player-manager. Reinvigorating the fanbase after it was left high and dry with the dismantling of the BRM and the awful 1982 & 83 seasons. Not to mention the '81 strike that hurt Cinci's fanbase more than anyone. The town was buzzing with the news of Rose coming back and then that evening watching a 44-year old legend return home and hit a triple with his trademark headfirst slide into third was one of those unbelieveable moments in Reds history. Baseball was back in Cincinnati leading up to the 1990 WS sweep.

Obviously the Rose-4192 game is in the top 50 just for significance of the event.

Not to mention the '81 strike that hurt Cinci's fanbase more than anyone.
    That was so frustrating. I got married on October 3rd that year, the second last day of the season. I married a woman from Missouri and we were going to enjoy the baseball playoffs on our honeymoon. But no, the Reds and Cardinals, the teams with the top two records in baseball somehow did not make the playoffs that year. I always enjoyed that the Reds showed 1981 on the top of their dugout for their winning years.

Turn Off Ads?