Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doesen't "Postponed" mean "Cancelled" ?

Doesen't "Postponed" mean "Cancelled" ?

Once I knew the Brewers/Reds game was under a Rain Delay I switched away from the Extra Innings channel that was airing it. I clicked back about an hour later to see the ticker running at the bottom of the screen saying "The Brewers at Reds game has been Postponed".

OK, end of story. Postponed means cancelled, not delayed; at least it has in all the years I've been watching baseball. So I forgot all about the game.

Imagine my surprise in the wee hours of Friday night when I was checking scores and saw that Cincy had rallied for 3 runs in the 9th to beat the Brewers. First I'm glad the Reds won, then I'm pissed I missed an entire game and an exciting walk-off base hit in the 9th by JR.

Did anybody else get jerked-around by the geniouses at Fox Sports on this one?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Doesen't "Postponed" mean "Cancelled" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez
    Once I knew the Brewers/Reds game was under a Rain Delay I switched away from the Extra Innings channel that was airing it. I clicked back about an hour later to see the ticker running at the bottom of the screen saying "The Brewers at Reds game has been Postponed".

OK, end of story. Postponed means cancelled, not delayed; at least it has in all the years I've been watching baseball. So I forgot all about the game.

Imagine my surprise in the wee hours of Friday night when I was checking scores and saw that Cincy had rallied for 3 runs in the 9th to beat the Brewers. First I'm glad the Reds won, then I'm pissed I missed an entire game and an exciting walk-off base hit in the 9th by JR.

Did anybody else get jerked-around by the geniouses at Fox Sports on this one?
    I listened via XM radio and the screen data would say Rain Delay. I recorded between 7:30 and 8:30 PM. Does anyone know if Marty and Steve did the BANNANA Phone during that time? THANKS.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

There is definitely a difference in their meanings.

post·pone (pōst-pōn', pōs-pōn')
    tr.v., -poned, -pon·ing, -pones.
    To delay until a future time; put off. See synonyms at defer1.
    To place after in importance; subordinate.
    can·cel (kăn'sel)

To call off
    postpone indefinitely or annul something that was scheduled; "Call off the engagement"; "cancel the dinner party"
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

In baseball terms:

Delay - To be possibly resumed later this day

Postponed - To be rescheduled for another day

Cancelled - No game at all, no rescheduled, will be ignored unless a tie breaker game is necessary.

You're not wrong.

It was reported first as being postponed (or canceled) on most broadcast stations, from ESPN to Fox Sports, then after about an hour of being "canceled", it "switched" back to "delayed".

I'm sure 1000's of people got screwed just like you.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    You're not wrong.

It was reported first as being postponed (or canceled) on most broadcast stations, from ESPN to Fox Sports, then after about an hour of being "canceled", it "switched" back to "delayed".

I'm sure 1000's of people got screwed just like you.
    Well, that at least explains what happened. The game simply got "un-cancelled". Happens all the time, right? It's like un-dying, or getting un-fired or un-pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    Does anyone know if Marty and Steve did the BANNANA Phone during that time?
    They did. Then the aiwaves were treated to several hours of the Furball.

Ringringringringringringring, BANANAPHONE! Ringringringringringringring, BANANAPHOOOOOONE! I've got this feeeeeeeling! It's so apeeeeealing! For us to get together and sing! SING!

Ringringringringringringring, BANANAPHONE! Ding-dong-ding-dong-ding-dong-ding, BANANAPHOOOOOONE! It grows in bunches! I've got my hunches! It's the best! Beats the rest! Cellular, modular, interactive-oddular!

Ringringringringringringring, BANANAPHONE! Ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong-ping, BANANAPHOOOOOONE! It's no baloooooony! You'd need a pony! My cellularrrrrrr, bananaular phooooone!

(I love that song.)
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/badgerphone.php
    Makes all the routine posts.

Headed South

Yup, same thing happened to me. Don't know why.

In baseball, it's definitely called ostponed: if it's not going to be played that day.

But hooray for waking up to find the Reds won! It sort of assuages the hangover!

The art of losing isn't hard to master.

- e.b.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

It did say "postponed" for a while and I had a "why say postponed instead of cancelled or rained out" discussion with my wife. However, later on they changed it to say "delayed". I was checking scores on the internet later and saw the game had started so I was able to watch it. Never seen that before
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

For a Level Playing Field

IMO...

A game that does not end until after 1:00 am is WRONG. If the game went 15 innings, then it is understandable. If it is b/c of a "longer than 2-hour rain delay", then that is WRONG. It is rude and not fan friendly (imagine that). It is rude to people who bring kids aged 6 to 12 and should be in bed at a "decent hour". A family of four (mom, dad and two kids) will spend a decent amount of money to see a game. They should not have to leave before the game ever begins and then not get a rain-check to get their money's worth.

I do not care about excuses like: players do not like doubleheaders, the Union, teams need the revenues for each game and do not want lost revenues due to rain-checks. Since when do teams rely that heavily on ticket money to pay the high salaries of the players... esp. when a rainout is likely to happen no more than 5 times a year if it is done in a fan-friendly way. The REDS only avg. about 60% capacity anyway... not like extra revenue is eaten by a few rainouts.

A slap in the face to paying customers IMO. Imagine that...

When I clicked the link on cbs to see the lineup they had 2 things.

1) The Game is Being Delayed due to Rain.
    2) The Game has been postponed.

But, I heard Marty say the game was due to start at 10:10. So, I was like so, they changed it... Asked around the game thread and found the game to be starting...

Just some tough luck.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

On MLB.com it sayed delayed from the beginning.

I know because I kept checking it instead of listing to the agonizing Banana Phone conversations. They should just can that. For me at least, it's intolerable.

It also said delayed on the ESPN ticker.

Plus, the game thread is always a good source.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 07-22-2006 at 02:35 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    IMO...

A game that does not end until after 1:00 am is WRONG. If the game went 15 innings, then it is understandable. If it is b/c of a "longer than 2-hour rain delay", then that is WRONG. It is rude and not fan friendly (imagine that). It is rude to people who bring kids aged 6 to 12 and should be in bed at a "decent hour". A family of four (mom, dad and two kids) will spend a decent amount of money to see a game. They should not have to leave before the game ever begins and then not get a rain-check to get their money's worth.

I do not care about excuses like: players do not like doubleheaders, the Union, teams need the revenues for each game and do not want lost revenues due to rain-checks. Since when do teams rely that heavily on ticket money to pay the high salaries of the players... esp. when a rainout is likely to happen no more than 5 times a year if it is done in a fan-friendly way. The REDS only avg. about 60% capacity anyway... not like extra revenue is eaten by a few rainouts.

A slap in the face to paying customers IMO. Imagine that...
    I disagree. When ever ANYONE goes to a ballgame, they should be prepared to expect that anything can happen (especially during inclement weather).

It's one game; if they can't stand the late hour then go home.

I know the players don't like doubleheaders, but neither do I... they deplete the team(s) resources and they end up starting players that have no business starting.

I would rather win both games than split a doubleheader (which is what often happens).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Well, I watched the whole game until about 9:00 PM PDT....that was about the 8th inning.

Then my son came in and asked me to put him to bed.....my wife does it 99.9% of the time.

So off I went for 45 minutes.....and came back to see the result. Glad for the win though.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I disagree. When ever ANYONE goes to a ballgame, they should be prepared to expect that anything can happen (especially during inclement weather).

It's one game; if they can't stand the late hour then go home.
    I know the players don't like doubleheaders, but neither do I... they deplete the team(s) resources and they end up starting players that have no business starting.

I would rather win both games than split a doubleheader (which is what often happens).

I feel this statement is easy to say when one lives close to the ballpark. Many fans however live a great distance from the stadium and would naturally be disappointed if the game went into the wee hours of the morning. For many of us that would mean leaving early or shelling out more money for a hotel room.

Turn Off Ads?