Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Williamson to Padres

Scott Williamson to Padres

There goes the rumor of him coming back the Redlegs.

Two minor league arms go to the Cubs in return.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Williamson to Padres

They want to get Mike Lowell - or a veteran third baseman.

How about Aurilia for Williamson?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Why does everyone think the Pads would want to have Aurillia again? They DFA'd the guy didn't they? I know he wasn't there long, thats for sure.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    Why does everyone think the Pads would want to have Aurillia again? They DFA'd the guy didn't they? I know he wasn't there long, thats for sure.
    He wasn't that bad with the Padres. He had his own bobblehead night in San Diego
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    He wasn't that bad with the Padres. He had his own bobblehead night in San Diego
    He hit .254/.331/.384, which is pretty bad. According to my Padres-fan co-worker, they weren't sad to see him go, bobblehead or not.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

actually I think this now makes the Giants favorites for the West.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    It's wishful thinking. They may even want Randa again.

RA's numbers would dive bad after hitting in Petco.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

MLBTradeRumors.com:
    This season, Williamson has dealt with a problem similar to tennis elbow. Speculation is that the Padres acquired Williamson to set up a trade of Scott Linebrink for a third baseman.
    Yet wouldn't trade Kearns for Linebrink? Glad they choose not to because I think Bray has a bright future.

How about Juan Castro for Linebrink?

I know I'm chasing into Jason Romano territory here

They give bobbleheads to everyone these days
    Go Gators!

Man Pills

FCB Bobblehead Day.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Padres bolster bullpen, get Williamson
    San Diego deals Minor Leaguers to Cubs for reliever
    By Lyle Spencer / MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- Looking to shore up their bullpen with an experienced arm for the stretch run, the Padres on Saturday acquired veteran right-hander Scott Williamson from the Cubs in exchange for a pair of Class A pitchers.
    Going to Chicago are Fabian Jimenez, 19, and Joel Santo, 22. Both have been pitching at Fort Wayne.

Williamson, 30, is 2-3 with a 5.08 ERA in 28 1/3 innings, appearing in 31 games for the Cubs. He'll join the Padres in Los Angeles on Monday, general manager Kevin Towers said.

"Our strength over the past couple years has been our bullpen," Towers said. "I don't think you can ever have enough arms.

"This guy's been a closer, an All-Star. He adds another option for Boch [manager Bruce Bochy] in the seventh and eighth inning. He's a very hard thrower with a lot of life on his fastball, with a split and slider. When his command is good, he can dominate.

"We're looking at him as a one-inning guy who can get you out of a jam. He can strike out middle-of-the-order hitters, and he's tough against lefties and righties."

When Williamson arrives Monday, the Padres will decide whether to carry 11 or 12 pitchers. If they decide to go with 12, one of the players summoned Friday from Triple-A Portland -- Terrmel Sledge or Justin Leone -- likely will be returned.

Towers said the Padres will now focus their attention on acquiring a third baseman but are "in no rush."

Known for his exceptional stuff since breaking in with Cincinnati in 1999, when he was the National League Rookie of the Year, Williamson saved 19 games in '99 and 21 in 2003 in the closer role.

The 6-foot, 185-pound Williamson has registered 484 strikeouts in 414 career innings with a 3.22 ERA. The opposition has batted only .203 against him in 317 games.

Williamson, who pitched for Boston in 2003 and with the 2004 World Series champions before moving to the Cubs in 2005, is a native of Fort Polk, La. He attended Oklahoma State, which also produced one of his new middle-relief partners, Jon Adkins.

Jimenez and Santo, Towers said, "are a long ways away. They're fringe prospects, but you never know. We felt some of the other pitchers in our system were closer to the big leagues."

complete coverage >Jimenez is 5-7 with a 4.43 ERA in 17 starts at Fort Wayne. He has struck out 54 and walked 52 in 87 1/3 innings.

Santo is 6-6 with a 5.38 ERA in 20 games, 15 as a starter. He's 20-29 with a 4.92 ERA in 87 career Minor League appearances, 72 as a starter.

Lyle Spencer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    RA's numbers would dive bad after hitting in Petco.
    Bingo!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

It took the Cubs a long time to figure out they were out of it.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    It took the Cubs a long time to figure out they were out of it.
    They still haven't figured it out. Williamson had been grumbling about his playing time and Dusty's favoritism towards certain guys lately. It was only a matter of time until they unloaded him.

With the lineups Dusty's been trotting out, he clearly either thinks the team is still in it...or he wants to keep up the integrity of teams in the playoff race or some garbage like that.

Turn Off Ads?