Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two more questionable moves by Jerry Narron

Two more questionable moves by Jerry Narron

The Reds just won, which I'm happy about, but once again I question a couple of Narron's moves. I've tried not to get too upset about his moves and the way he's handled EE, but the poor moves just keep coming. It's really mindboggling to knowledgable Reds fans. Here's a couple more tonight:

#1: Pinch hitting Aurilia for Hatteberg after Hatte was 3 for 4. It just doesn't make sense to take a regular out who is hot for a cold guy on the bench. Pinch hitting is very hard and he knew if RA came in, they would sub for a righty anyways. Save RA for later.

#2: Taking out Dunn AGAIN for defense in a very close game. I could understand taking out Lopez or EE for defense in the 9th, but there's a very small chance Dunn's defense is going to cost the Reds a game late in the game. I think there's a much, much greater chance we'll need his bat again later in the game over the chance of him misplaying a flyball.

Narron has this team winning and finally put a good lineup out there tonight, but once again he's making some serious questionable moves when this team cannot afford it, IMO. I believe these moves will start costing us some very important games that we cannot afford to lose.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Two more questionable moves by Jerry Narron

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    #1: Pinch hitting Aurilia for Hatteberg after Hatte was 3 for 4. It just doesn't make sense to take a regular out who is hot for a cold guy on the bench. Pinch hitting is very hard and he knew if RA came in, they would sub for a righty anyways. Save RA for later.

#2: Taking out Dunn AGAIN for defense in a very close game. I could understand taking out Lopez or EE for defense in the 9th, but there's a very small chance Dunn's defense is going to cost the Reds a game late in the game. I think there's a much, much greater chance we'll need his bat again later in the game over the chance of him misplaying a flyball.
    I don't agree at all. Those are basic textbook calls. Hatteberg is 0 for 17 lifetime against Shouse with 5 strikeouts. It makes total sense to pinch-hit for him and set up a righty against a lefty matchup.

Dunn is a mediocre defender, any manager would put in a strong defensive replacement for him in the 9th inning with a one run lead. These aren't questionable, they're basic Baseball 101 managerial moves.

Jimbo's right. Geez a guy is 0 from 17 and Dunn's defense has been questionable in the late innings for some time.

Aurilia and Hatteberg are both as hot as anyone in baseball in the month of July, hitting .373 (14-game hitting streak) and .422, respectively.

Big difference is - Aurilia is hitting .340 vs. lefties, whereas Hatteberg is only hitting .250 this year vs. southpaws.

That move was baseball managing 101 - a no-brainer. Taking Dunn out, on the other hand - I can see your frustration to some extent.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Don't mind Aurilia for Hatteberg. Probably would have played the 7th differently (not bunting with Phillips and/or PH for Clayton).

Narron wasn't horrid tonight. At least get got Mays out before the lead was gone.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

To me it was a no brainer move! I questioned it at first especially Hatteberg, but after knowing the facts it sounded like a good move. Hey we won!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I don't agree at all. Those are basic textbook calls. Hatteberg is 0 for 17 lifetime against Shouse with 5 strikeouts. It makes total sense to pinch-hit for him and set up a righty against a lefty matchup.

Dunn is a mediocre defender, any manager would put in a strong defensive replacement for him in the 9th inning with a one run lead. These aren't questionable, they're basic Baseball 101 managerial moves.
    Even though I understand pinch hitting RA, I still don't agree with it. I don't agree with taking hot hitters out of a game. And once RA was put in you knew the Brewers would bring in a righty and he's only hitting .248 against them.

I agree that Dunn is a mediocre defender, but I think his bat needs to be in there in case extra innings occurs. Yes, our bullpen is improved, but scoring one run is not that hard to push the game to extras. I just think the odds of his defense costing us the game in the 9th is pretty slim. Much better chance of extra innings and needing his bat later on.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Can he be stopped?

I've been saying this for a while now, but the reason Hate is putting up such good numbers this season is the platoon with RA. He is protected and gets most of his ABs vs. righties (4 times as many ABs vs. righty pitchers). He's hitting close to .330 vs. right handed pitchers and only .250ish vs. lefties. PHing Rich there was not a bad move, esp. considering how well Rich has done in Ph situations recently.

(Now PHing Hatte for EE against submarine boy, thats a different story, as EE is hitting .299 against Righties, and it came back to bite Jerry when Hatte had to go against a lefty pitcher his second time up)

As for the Dunn replacement, I have no problem with that. Dunn's spot was the 5th or 6th to come up, so if we do get in a hole, we've already produced a lot of offense before we get to Adam's spot unless we go extra.

His heart told him to do it.

Even though I understand pinch hitting RA, I still don't agree with it. I don't agree with taking hot hitters out of a game. And once RA was put in you knew the Brewers would bring in a righty and he's only hitting .248 against them.

I agree that Dunn is a mediocre defender, but I think his bat needs to be in there in case extra innings occurs. Yes, our bullpen is improved, but scoring one run is not that hard to push the game to extras. I just think the odds of his defense costing us the game in the 9th is pretty slim. Much better chance of extra innings and needing his bat later on.
    There's just no way any manager would have kept Hatteberg in to face Shouse with those kind of lifetime numbers. When you are 0 for 17 lifetime with 5 strikeouts I don't care what you've done during the game. In those types of situations in late innings, it's all about matchups.

As far as Dunn, the idea is not to go into extra innings. That's why you put your best defensive team on the field in the 9th inning with a one run lead.

Narron is the king of matchups. I've learned that and that's one of the reasons he is so successful. I let him be when I think a call is questionable because he knows more than I do.

Two things that are not questionable:

1) We won.

2) We have won more often than we've lost with Narron at the helm.

Im glad he takes Dunn out in a close game that we are leading in the 9th.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    There's just no way any manager would have kept Hatteberg in to face Shouse with those kind of lifetime numbers. When you are 0 for 17 lifetime with 5 strikeouts I don't care what you've done during the game. In those types of situations in late innings, it's all about matchups.

As far as Dunn, the idea is not to go into extra innings. That's why you put your best defensive team on the field in the 9th inning with a one run lead.
    You make some very good points about Hatte that are hard to disagree with. My reaction to this probably stems from Narron's decision to pinch hit for EE earlier this week when he already had a couple of hits in the game.

About Dunn though. What if Eddie gives a solo homer? Wouldn't you want Dunn in the extra innings if needed? I would. I know his defense is rather poor, but like I said before, I think there's a much greater chance of us needing his bat again over his left field defense costing us the game in the 9th.

Wouldn't you want Dunn in the extra innings if needed? I would. I know his defense is rather poor, but like I said before, I think there's a much greater chance of us needing his bat again over his left field defense costing us the game in the 9th.

Of course I would, but I still believe that you do whatever possible to not allow the game to go into exra innings. If it does, I still have enough confidence in this offense to score some runs without Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?