Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two more questionable moves by Jerry Narron

Re: Two more questionable moves by Jerry Narron

Denorfia should have been brought into the game for defensive purposes.

In CF.

2. Turn Off Ads?

When Weathers was sucking it up durring his appearance my Father and I were gripeing that Narron was leaving him in and what the heck was he thinking. Then we finally noticed that Weathers spot was up first the next inning and he didn't want to bring another guy in, to turn around and pitch hit for him right away. Suprise, suprise sometimes the manager does pay attention to things that us fans don't think about or realize.

Narron does play a lot of matchups and frankly bugs me with his gyrations. Unfortunatly he will make mistakes so that some at Redszone can complain about them incessantly until the end of time.

I can't make up my mind about him. He is usally pretty on target with his moves, whether I understand them or not, but then he does some real wacky ones that drive you bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by kyred14
    Denorfia should have been brought into the game for defensive purposes.
    In CF.
    Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    Even though I understand pinch hitting RA, I still don't agree with it. I don't agree with taking hot hitters out of a game. And once RA was put in you knew the Brewers would bring in a righty and he's only hitting .248 against them.

I agree that Dunn is a mediocre defender, but I think his bat needs to be in there in case extra innings occurs. Yes, our bullpen is improved, but scoring one run is not that hard to push the game to extras. I just think the odds of his defense costing us the game in the 9th is pretty slim. Much better chance of extra innings and needing his bat later on.
    I totally agree with both of these statements.... except for Dunn being a mediocre defender. He may not be a gold glover but IMHO, he's better than mediocre.

It's a 1-run game; his bat might be needed... as it was in an earlier game this season when he was removed in the 7th inning of a game that ended up going extras.

Regarding RA for SH? I really don't care what SH's record was against the pitcher... he was hot tonight, and has been for awhile. Tonight could have been the night for him to break that record against said pitcher. I'd have taken my chances with 3-4 SH over a cold RA of the bench. It couldn't have turned out much worse than it did... and it had all the signs of turning out better. The right-lefty thing is soooo overrated.

One more thing I'd have done... when Mays reached the 3-run mark, someone would have been throwing in the pen. When he reached the 4-run mark (no quality start), he'd have been gone.

All that said, I'm ecstatic that the Reds won, but it soooo could have gone the other way so quickly. I really do question some of JN's moves late in games... I realize he's the manager, but geeeeez!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    When Weathers was sucking it up durring his appearance my Father and I were gripeing that Narron was leaving him in and what the heck was he thinking. Then we finally noticed that Weathers spot was up first the next inning and he didn't want to bring another guy in, to turn around and pitch hit for him right away. Suprise, suprise sometimes the manager does pay attention to things that us fans don't think about or realize.
    I'm sure that's why he didn't pull him, but he could easily have given up even more runs than what he did. Regardless of who's up first next inning, I'd have pulled him as insurance against that happening. I'd have pulled him after the first run he relinquished.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 07-22-2006 at 11:56 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

The Buckeye Bomber

If you believe in your closer, which we do, you put your best defensive guys out there in the ninth to make sure a fluke error doesn't cost you the game. Having Deno in left is a better option than Dunn on the defensive side of the ball, so you make that call every time, provided Narron has confidence in Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Regarding RA for SH? I really don't care what SH's record was against the pitcher... he was hot tonight, and has been for awhile. Tonight could have been the night for him to break that record against said pitcher. I'd have taken my chances with 3-4 SH over a cold RA of the bench. It couldn't have turned out much worse than it did... and it had all the signs of turning out better. The right-lefty thing is soooo overrated.
    I just disagree. I might go along with it if Hatteberg had at least some past success against this guy, but as little as he strikes out, he's had 5 of them in 17 at-bats against Shouse. A lifetime 0 for 17 against a certain pitcher is pretty glaring.

I don't think the righty-left things is overrated at all. It is easier to see the ball coming off an arm that is on the opposite side of the plate that a hitter stands. I think it is even more prevelant with a left-handed pitcher against a batter who hits from the left side. In this case though, I think it was more Hatteberg's past stats against Shouse.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81
    If you believe in your closer, which we do, you put your best defensive guys out there in the ninth to make sure a fluke error doesn't cost you the game. Having Deno in left is a better option than Dunn on the defensive side of the ball, so you make that call every time, provided Narron has confidence in Eddie.
    Yes, we're used to a bullpen that blows the lead, necessitating another offensive outburst in the bottom of the ninth. With a real bullpen, this is exactly the time to bring in defensive replacements, when you have a close lead.

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Regarding RA for SH? I really don't care what SH's record was against the pitcher... he was hot tonight, and has been for awhile.
    I think it's one of those double-edged decisions. Had Narron left Hatteberg in, if he didn't get a hit, someone would have retrieved the 0-17 lifetime stat and questioned the decision in that respect. I was surprised when he made the initial move, but knowing his career marks against the pitcher, it doesn't bother me. Then again, we won, so why would it?

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81
    Yes you can make defensive changes, you just need to make the right ones. Deno should have come in for Griffey, as Griffey is the worst defensive CF in baseball. That way you have stronger defense, and with Dunn still in the game, a better offense in case the Brewers score.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    Two things that are not questionable:

We have won more often than we've lost with Narron at the helm.
    Excellent point. I don't know who people want managing this team. My guess is we'll be hearing how well Bucky Dent could do from the Reds faithful the next time things get rough.

I think Narron deservers a break. The Reds are 7-2 since the trade (all star break) and the two losses were against the NLs best team. Narron had the Reds above water last season and this year he had done the same up to the all star break with a HORRIBLE bullpen and no fifth starter. Now with some bullpen help and still no fifth starter, he has the Reds off and rolling to start the second half. The Reds lead the wild card.

I'm just curious, how much are we up on the Cards right now if the worlds most perfect manager was at the helm for the Reds?

Could the knowledgeable fans fill me in.

Turn Off Ads?