Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And yet another Bengal has been arrested

Re: And yet another Bengal has been arrested

At the collegiate level, I can understand the idea of a coach losing control. But at the professional level, when even the league minimum players are making big money, and they're grown men and not teenagers, there's not a whole lot a coach can do to "control" these guys. If this is on Marvin, it's because he went and got these guys, not because he's not controlling them and has lost control.

Everyone has weaknesses. Marvin's is that he thinks he can fix the troublemakers. He purposely looks for guys who are undervalue based on off-the-field problems who he thinks he can reform. The problem is that it's difficult to reform a grown man with a lot of money in his pocket.

And it's not like he can just cut these guys. It's not allowed within the rules. The best he can do is wait for camp and make the claim that they're being outplayed by other players and then cut them.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Alot of these players have the attitude/mentality that works/is successful on the playing field.... aggressive, go-getter, some what out of control. They play with that wreckless abandonment. unfortunately they can't seem to separate/control it off the field because it is WHO they are.

You are seeing it all over the NFL.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-23-2006 at 09:11 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    At the collegiate level, I can understand the idea of a coach losing control. But at the professional level, when even the league minimum players are making big money, and they're grown men and not teenagers, there's not a whole lot a coach can do to "control" these guys. If this is on Marvin, it's because he went and got these guys, not because he's not controlling them and has lost control.

Everyone has weaknesses. Marvin's is that he thinks he can fix the troublemakers. He purposely looks for guys who are undervalue based on off-the-field problems who he thinks he can reform. The problem is that it's difficult to reform a grown man with a lot of money in his pocket.

And it's not like he can just cut these guys. It's not allowed within the rules. The best he can do is wait for camp and make the claim that they're being outplayed by other players and then cut them.
    That was much better said than what I was trying to say, and much less abrasive. Good post.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    It's getting out of hand. My hope is that once the team starts camp, these guys start to get weeded out.

Make it so, Marvin. :fineprint
    Don't give Chris Henry any ideas.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth
    This team is completely out of control, Marvin and company need to weed out these troublemakers before they bring down the entire team. I'd cut everyone other than Thurman and I'd even put him on a short leash.
    Wow, everyone but Thurman, shows what you can get away with if your good huh, thinking like that is the problem in pro sports today, im too good to be REALLY punished. Cut the whole team. GO BROWNS!

Quote Originally Posted by larks
    becoming the FsU of the nFL
    Guess who just got some rep from the gator.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD RIGHTHANDER
    Wow, everyone but Thurman, shows what you can get away with if your good huh, thinking like that is the problem in pro sports today, im too good to be REALLY punished. Cut the whole team. GO BROWNS!
    Thurman wasn't arrested and without the details of his substance abuse violation I'm willing to give him a little bit of leeway. I'm not condoning his behavior but in my humble opinion he isn't on the same level of Henry, Nicholson or Rucker.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth
    Thurman wasn't arrested and without the details of his substance abuse violation I'm willing to give him a little bit of leeway. I'm not condoning his behavior but in my humble opinion he isn't on the same level of Henry, Nicholson or Rucker.
    Thurman was disciplined once during the regular season for breaking curfew. He sat out a quarter, but that was about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Maybe this is the new club initiation.

Turn Off Ads?