Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jerry on Mays

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Jerry on Mays

He addresses Joe Mays, and the next start, in the pregame show (thanks to Marty).

I'll paraphrase.

He basically says, the team has until Saturday to figure out what they're going to do about a 5th starter. He notes, that sometimes when you're the
    5th starter, you don't always get to get into a groove because of off days, but that's baseball, and you have to do your job when you're supposed to.

Sounds to me like Joe Mays' days in Cincy are over.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-23-2006 at 12:03 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jerry on Mays

See ya Joe :fingerscrossed:

Don't let the bullpen door hit you on the way out.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Well, it isn't Jerry's decision to make. Hopefully he was speaking after discussing the matter with K.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
    Well, it isn't Jerry's decision to make. Hopefully he was speaking after discussing the matter with K.
    I would think he is.....I remember after Mays start before the break, Marty asked him about it, and Jerry said he was penciled in to make the start on the 22nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    He addresses Joe Mays, and the next start, in the pregame show (thanks to Marty).

I'll paraphrase.

He basically says, the team has until Saturday to figure out what they're going to do about a 5th starter. He notes, that sometimes when you're the
    5th starter, you don't always get to get into a groove because of off days, but that's baseball, and you have to do your job when you're supposed to.

Sounds to me like Joe Mays' days in Cincy are over.
    This thread began today (Sunday), but I read this Saturday morning before Mays' start on Saturday. This is old news.

Apparently, Narron is repeating what he had already said.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Krivksy on Mays (according to Hal)

"Barring A TRADE, or barring a 4 man rotation....Joe Mays is going back out there."

Jow Mays is in his grove...getting slammed all over the place

They have to bring someone else up.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Krivksy on Mays (according to Hal)

"Barring A TRADE, or barring a 4 man rotation....Joe Mays is going back out there."
    that's just great. Did Krivsky say anything about getting another bat before the deadline?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    that's just great. Did Krivsky say anything about getting another bat before the deadline?
    Hopefully he's just playing it close to the vest and more moves are in the works.

If not and he follows that clunker of a deal by doing nothing to fix the problems we still have then he's not the guy I thought he was before the AK deal.

When I saw this quote from Mays I knew he was finished. If you want to switch leagues because batters have seen you too many times - you are simply finished. His pitching has told that same story all too many times this season. Time to cut him loose - Germano, Gosling, or Dumatrait could all give the Reds a considerable higher chance to succeed.
    "Joe hasn't pitched for us for nine or ten days [and] he gave us some good innings, [but] missed his spots in others," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "We feel like if we can get him out there on a regular basis, he can do a good job for us."

Cleveland's dominating win continued Mays' futility against the Reds' neighbors to the north. In 23 lifetime appearances against the Indians, Mays is 0-8 with a 6.39 ERA.

"That was my main reason to get out of the American League was because I'd seen these guys too many times," Mays said.

With starter Brandon Claussen expected to come off the disabled list soon, Mays' future in the rotation may depend on his performance in his next start, scheduled for Thursday at Atlanta.

"I didn't do my job [Saturday] and the team paid for it," Mays said. "Hopefully, there's a next time, and we'll just see if we can get better after this."
    You'd certainly think his start in Atlanta would have determined his future, but it obviously didn't or he'd be gone long ago. It's starting to sound like a broken record regarding him on a start-by-start decision. This quote makes me think Jerry Narron isn't the final decision on whether or not Mays pitches.

Rotation roundup: With the off-day on Monday serving as an extra day of rest, left-hander Eric Milton will start Friday's opener at Milwaukee.

Narron said that Friday was the last day of the rotation that he'd decided on.

Despite a poor performance yesterday, Joe Mays will most likely get an opportunity to redeem himself and earn his first win in a Reds uniform, either on Saturday or Sunday.

"As of right now, unless something changes, he'll go back out there," Narron said of Mays.
    Redeem himself?? How could he possibly redeem himself? If he'd pitch a 9 inning shutout his ERA would still be 7.44. Time to see if Dumatrait or Germano has anything.

Turn Off Ads?