Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Get Redman

Re: Get Redman

Tony Armas Jr anyone?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'm starting to take a "why the hell not" approach to suggestions like this.

No, I don't really like the idea of handing the ball to Mark Redman. I'm not wild about Paul Byrd either. Kris Benson or Jamie Moyer? Theoretically not on your life. I'm not all that keen about calling up Homer Bailey either.

Yet there the Reds are in the wild card spot despite every rational reason for them not to be. So why the hell not? Just try not to botch things for future seasons in the process.
    Scary isn't it? I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm torn on both sides. I'd like to see the Reds pick up someone to get Joe Mays out of the rotation and give them more chances to win a game every 5 days, but I don't want them to give up anyone valuable to get that pitcher. I know my perfect little scenario isn't likely, and knowing Krivsky, he's more likely to make a major splash, IMO, than more of a lateral move like this would be. That, in itself, scares me somewhat. Above all else though, it feels good being a known buyer at the deadline, instead of a team pegged as a seller since well before the All-Star break. There is still a side of me that thinks that we could bring in a lot of good prospects if we were sellers this year, though. I'm a schizo and it's Krivsky's fault.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner
    Tony Armas Jr anyone?
    We shoudl be able to get him for EE and Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Your second sentence and your last are contradictory. If he displaces Joe Mays, and perhaps pitches better than Claussen and/or Milton, then the team *has* been improved. If he doesn't cost much to obtain, and if the cost for other, more palateable pitchers is excessive, then the pickup of a Redman-type pitcher may very well be what the Reds are looking at. And, it most certainly wouldn't be a "lateral move"--it would be an improvement, as you state in your post.
    The team only improves IF he pitches better than our current options. If he pitches better than Harang, then he'll put us in the playoffs. It all comes down to the IF. Give the performance histories of everybody involved, I have little reason to believe that he WILL be any better. Like you say, if the cost is very little, sure, why not acquire him? But we have every (Kearns) reason (Lopez) to believe the cost will not be minimal and even if he pitches up to his ability, the actual impact is likely less than you think. (see my other post).

I don't think anybody would turn down essentially free talent. However, if Redman was available at a very low cost, he'd be a Yankee, Cardinal, or otherwise by now.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Roster glue

Unfortunately, the better he pitches, the more desirable he becomes, the higher the price tag...

The worse he pitches, the less use the Reds have for him, the less fans want him, the less he costs.

The trend of mediocre pitchers' price in July. Unless the Reds can somehow get good innings out of an acquisition of the ilk they already possess, they will have to overpay for outside help of any quality. Sadly, there are likely a lot of teams who feel Mark Redman can help them, and if he pitches well in his next start, the price is only driven up.

Dave Williams was also supposed to be "better than what we have."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Roster glue

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Testify!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Well he was better then what we had a few years ago..Anderson..Haynes..Hamilton

If Redman is cheap why not? anything but Mays
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Well he was better then what we had a few years ago..Anderson..Haynes..Hamilton
    Speak not the name of Hamilton, O foolish one, lest ye draw his attention.

*shudder*
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

It's ok..I walked outside spit and spun around 3 times..that should keep the curse away
    Go Gators!

It's ok..I walked outside spit and spun around 3 times..that should keep the curse away
    burn a virgin at stake. That'll do it
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Speak not the name of Hamilton, O foolish one, lest ye draw his attention.

*shudder*

For the non-King James Versioned folks of the Gospel of The Reds - here's a translation.

Don't use the word Hamilton, you idiot, he might resurface.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Krono-don't burn yourself. It's not worth it.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Don't have one handy..RL will have to do
    Go Gators!

Don't have one handy..RL will have to do
    hey, I have 2 kids. I've done it twice!
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?