Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get Redman

Get Redman

It seems like we need to add another starter if we are going to make the playoffs. Most of them are either way to expensive and probably not going to be traded (Zito, Willis) or are just junk. So it seems like Mark Redman would be the best fit for us. He has done great for the royals so far this year, move him to a contender and put him in the NL and i think he does even better. Plus Im betting he would come fairly cheap. Send a couple of prospects. I mean if they will take someone like larue then great, but i doubt they will. Redman would give us three solid starters, with arroyo, harang. Im not sure what krivsky is going to do but I hope he does something without giving up to much of the future.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Get Redman

i think it's a great idea jump on him before bigger clubs can slip the royals a deal

Mark Redman in 2006

95 IP
    5.02 ERA
    1.41 WHIP
    41 Ks
    35 BBs

This is not "Great". In fact, this is not "Good". This is "Borderline". He's a step DOWN from Elizardo Ramirez. Redman is right there with Brandon Claussen in terms of quality and we'll be getting Claussen back soon. This would make little sense.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Mark Redman in 2006

95 IP
    5.02 ERA
    1.41 WHIP
    41 Ks
    35 BBs

This is not "Great". In fact, this is not "Good". This is "Borderline". He's a step DOWN from Elizardo Ramirez. Redman is right there with Brandon Claussen in terms of quality and we'll be getting Claussen back soon. This would make little sense.
    Agreed.

Unfortunately, I think Krivsky has a man-crush on ex-Twins, so Redman is probably his next target. I said so back when he acquired Guardado.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Better than Claussen, Milton, and Mays.

His ERA would probably come down in the NL as well. I'm not to high on the guy, but he's "better than what we got."
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Mark Redman over the last month:

2-1, 33.0 IP, 7 BB, 17 K, 3.27 ERA.

He is a better option than Mays and Milton. Could be a better option than Claussen depending on how Claussen throws when he returns.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

What about the Phillies' Cory Lidle or Jon Lieber for the stretch run?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/Statis...easonYear=2006
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I still see a complete inability to miss bats, average control, and an average GB/FB ratio. Is he a better #5 starter than Joe Mays? Yes. Milton and Claussen, maybe. If we are going to trade for somebody, the object should be to improve the team. Lateral moves which cost us prospects are not intelligent.

Eric Milton in May:
    20.2 IP (3 QS), 3.48 ERA, .235 OAVG, 12 K, 3 BB

One decent month does not a good pitcher make.

If Redman was on our squad, I certainly put him in the rotation. But I would not give up anything of value to acquire him.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-24-2006 at 02:09 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I still see a complete inability to miss bats, average control, and an average GB/FB ratio. Is he a better #5 starter than Joe Mays? Yes. Milton and Claussen, maybe. If we are going to trade for somebody, the object should be to improve the team. Lateral moves which cost us prospects are not intelligent.
    wouldn't getting rid of Mays and picking up Redman improve the team?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Still depends on who you'd have to give up to get Redman.

If it's minor league fluff, then yes, it would improve the team.

If it's a legit prospect, then no, IMO, it would not "improve the team".
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'm starting to take a "why the hell not" approach to suggestions like this.

No, I don't really like the idea of handing the ball to Mark Redman. I'm not wild about Paul Byrd either. Kris Benson or Jamie Moyer? Theoretically not on your life. I'm not all that keen about calling up Homer Bailey either.

Yet there the Reds are in the wild card spot despite every rational reason for them not to be. So why the hell not? Just try not to botch things for future seasons in the process.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Yes, so would cutting Mays and letting Belisle start -- or cutting Mays and getting Claussen off the DL. Neither of those costs us prospects. A VERY marginal upgrade* at the back end of the rotation is not worth losing system depth for. If we can trade two nobody's who have a 1% chance of ever seeing a big league roster, then sure, why not?

However, if you honestly think that he can be had for that, given the number of other teams seeking pitching help, I think you're crazy. There's a reason it cost us Kearns and Lopez to get who we got with the Nats. Pitching is extremely expensive to come by in a mid-season trade.

*Let's pretend that Redman could give us 12 starts and went 6 innings per on average (his current average). That's 72 IP. Let's also assume he gives us an ERA of 4.50. That's 36 earned runs. Now let's assume if we don't trade for him we get an ERA of 6.00 from those 72 IP (an approximation of Joe Mays and our bullpen). That's 48 earned runs, a difference of 12 runs.

Currently we are on pace to score 813 runs and allow 834 runs, for an expected record of 79-83. If we subtract 12 runs from our runs allowed total, that expected record changes to 80-82. Woohoo!! We won 1 more game. BEST CASE SCENARIO has Redman giving us 1 more win.

Now, I'm not one too completely disregard the value of a win. However, when the best case scenario is a single win, I start considering who that win costs us.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-24-2006 at 02:33 PM.

Your second sentence and your last are contradictory. If he displaces Joe Mays, and perhaps pitches better than Claussen and/or Milton, then the team *has* been improved. If he doesn't cost much to obtain, and if the cost for other, more palateable pitchers is excessive, then the pickup of a Redman-type pitcher may very well be what the Reds are looking at. And, it most certainly wouldn't be a "lateral move"--it would be an improvement, as you state in your post.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Yes, so would cutting Mays and letting Belisle start -- or cutting Mays and getting Claussen off the DL. Neither of those costs us prospects. A VERY marginal upgrade upgrade at the back end of the rotation is not worth losing system depth for.
    i'd feel more comfortable using Redman as the fifth starter than Belisle.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?