Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countdown to July 31 - Who do Reds get?

Countdown to July 31 - Who do Reds get?

Have to think the Reds are going for a starting pitcher. There is now one week to go before the non-waiver deadline.

If you look at the teams likely to sell, there is a short list of possible candidates. KC has Redman; Philly has Lieber and Lidle; Livan Hernandez of Washington.

How about Kris Benson? Orioles should be interested in dumping his salary, or part of it. Team needs some young players. Reds could trade cash and some younger cheaper guys.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Countdown to July 31 - Who do Reds get?

As near as I can figure the Reds still need a SS and AT LEAST one starting pitcher.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    As near as I can figure the Reds still need a SS and AT LEAST one starting pitcher.
    The Reds have their SS's whether we like it or not, so that is not on the list. My guess they dump fluff for a veteren starter that can eat some innings and a healthy Claussen.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    The Reds have their SS's whether we like it or not, so that is not on the list.
    It's nice to know that Royce will be the SS as they crash and burn (in combo with Rich and Hatty at the corners).

Might want to check out Hatty's crash and burn in the last two months of the pennant race last year(OPS .632 and .548), he almost singelhandedly pulled down the A's and seeing his current OPS is over 100 points higher than his career best I have a good guess what is coming.

The Reds should trade for Roger Clemens.

The Reds have their SS's whether we like it or not, so that is not on the list.
    That's sad. Not that I don't agree with what you said but it's still very sad.

When you look at what the Reds have left to trade, it's pretty limited.

Maybe they could trade Freel.

Maybe they could trade Claussen for an older, more expensive (and hopefully more reliable pitcher).

They could trade Encarcion and go with Aurillia, but that would be unpopular.

They could trade LaRue, but the return would be negligible.

That's about it. Obviously, they could trade Dunn, but that would kill the offense.

I think it's going to be hard to swing a deal. We might get a Redman or another marginal upgrade, but the sellers are going to turn the screws hard on Wayne, since they know he's desparate.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    you're right

Maybe they could trade Freel.
    That would be a huge risk, counting on Denorfia to prodcue well and Jr to stay healthy.

Maybe they could trade Claussen for an older, more expensive (and hopefully more reliable pitcher).
    since he is hurt it makes it moot.

They could trade Encarcion and go with Aurillia, but that would be unpopular.
    and dumb.

They could trade LaRue, but the return would be negligible.
    not worth much with his salary

WK basically shot his wad with the last deal and has little to offer unless he wants to dip in the Bailey/Bruce/Votto bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD

I think it's going to be hard to swing a deal. We might get a Redman or another marginal upgrade, but the sellers are going to turn the screws hard on Wayne, since they know he's desparate.
    Deal will have to include minor league kids. Personally, I would not trade the big three prospects, Bailey, Bruce or Votto.

I could see the Reds trading from the next tier of prospects. Some possibilities are Wood, Cueto, Ward (hope not, ground ball pitcher), Pelland, Dumatrait, Olmedo, Denorfia, Moran.

Also, keep in mind that Reds could relieve a team of salary (talk of role reversal!) Do the Orioles really want to pay all of Benson's salary when the team obviously needs a rebuilding job?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    The Reds should trade for Roger Clemens.
    Only if we agree to start his son
    Go Gators!

How about Larue to Washington for Livan Hernandez?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    How about Larue to Washington for Livan Hernandez?
    I actually like that idea - which ensures it will never happen.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

The Reds have their SS's whether we like it or not, so that is not on the list. My guess they dump fluff for a veteren starter that can eat some innings and a healthy Claussen.
    I'm confused - are you saying this TBD new pitcher should eat Brandon Claussen? If so, I hope we're on the phone with the California Angels, as I believe they'd still own Terry Forster's rights.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I actually like that idea - which ensures it will never happen.
    I really don't like Hernandez at all, but I could see Krivsky coveting him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Man Pills

I liked Hernandez, but I think he's done.

Turn Off Ads?