Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My Ideas for the Deadline..... Good? Bad?

My Ideas for the Deadline..... Good? Bad?

I know some of you guys don't like these kinda threads but this is actually more realistic then the getting Willis/Cabrera type pipedreams.

As mentioned in the Dodgers thread, they definately have some issues but they still don't want to throw in the towel. They have a solid rotation despite Penny being the only major trading chip and decent pitcher. Their offense has no one pacing anything more than about 15-20 HR, however, and they need some younger offense players as well as some more power. While we both may be in the same race a trade between the Reds and the Dodgers could help both parties out (the Dodgers in their quest for the NL West and us for the wild card).

Having said that, I propose this trade....... It's one thing if the Reds would never do it but would the Dodgers???

1. Chris Donorfia, Tyler Pelland, Eric Milton, Dave Weathers, and Rich Aurilia to the Dodgers for Brad Penny, Giovanni Carrara and Cesar Itzurus.

Well both the Dodgers and Reds build for the future as well as the present in these trades. While the Dodgers bullpen looses talent in the short term, next year when Gagne returns it will be fine and Baez in the mix solidifies it. Cararra's return is great for them too as well as Beimel and Saito's emergences. Milton would be similar to Derek Lowe in Dodger Stadium (many less HR's of course) and gives them a solid starter in the rotation. Aurilia is the type of spark they need offensively- someone capable of hitting .275, 25, 80 (.800+ OPS numbers) over a full season. He would play 3B and the Dodgers would likely sign him to an extension since Mueller doesn't add much. Donorfia will replace Lofton next year and fill the 2 hole in the lineup. Pelland is a decent prospect for about 2008ish. They don't throw the towel in for the season, addressing some team problems but they improve their chances in 2007/2008 with this squad. Weathers is a not bad bullpen option to have in their mix and is now expendable on the Reds' part.

While the Reds give up some talent, the infield situation is resolved with Freel taking fulltime duties in RF and Phillips at 2B... Hatteburg at 1B...Itzurus at SS and Encarnacion at 3B. Defense is improved.... the pen improves and so does the rotation.

Subsequently, Shackelford to AAA.

Trade 2:

Matt Belisle, Rey Olmedo, Jason Standridge, and Brandon Claussen to the Royals for Ambiorix Burgos, Matt Stairs, and Mark Redman.

Royals get some serviceable players- two not bad relievers, a starter that can pitch to middle of the rotation standards if on and Olmedo- Grudzie's replacement when he leaves as a FA.

The Reds get a solid 5th starter... a big bat off the bench and to fill in at 1B and on the corners as well as a good young reliever in Burgos who would do a lot better in a non-closing role. We need a decent lefty in the rotation too in Redman.

Trade 3:

Jason LaRue to the Angels (Angels take on his contract) for a PTBNL (fringe prospect to be decided).

Reds need to dump some salary... a good move for the Angels as they need a catcher for 2006-2007 as they break in their prospects.

Lineup:

Freel RF
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    Griffey CF
    Hatteburg 1B
    Encarnacion 3B
    Itzurus SS
    Ross/Valentin C

Arroyo
    Penny
    Harang
    Ramirez
    Redman

Guardado
    Coffey
    Bray
    Carrara
    Majewski
    Burgos
    Germano (Merker when he comes off)

Stairs 1B/OF
    Clayton 2B/SS
    Valentin C (Sardinha backs up until Ross returns)
    Wise OF
    Castro SS/3B

Would you be mad at me if I was GM?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My Ideas for the Deadline..... Good? Bad?

I don't see why the Angels of Dodgers have any interest in trades 1 or 3.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

What about trading:

OF Chris Denorfia, C Jason LaRue, and Ty Pelland (we'll stick with him since he was mentioned in your first post) to the Rangers for SP Vicente Padilla and OF Kevin Mench?

Both players the Reds get in return are free agents to be, I believe. So, Kriv would have to get busy early in the offseason to address some missing pieces for next year's team, but getting rid of LaRue is a savings for us, losing Pelland wouldn't be awful, and losing Denorfia isn't bad for this year. Padilla has pitched very well this year and Mench brings a RH bat suitable for cleanup duties for the rest of the year to split Dunn and Griffey. Think that'd be enough for those two, too much?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'd do trade #1 in a heartbeat.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I'd do trade #1 in a heartbeat.
    which is why the Dodgers wouldn't. They get nothing of real value that they need in the deal.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Throw Votto or Bruce in deal 1 and they might talk
    Go Gators!

Penny has been hapless against NL Central teams this season and Izturis has not recovered from his ankle problem. Your willing to lose contributors for guys who have not proven themselves when given the chance. Also Penny is off contract in 2008 isn't he?

#1 sounds like an MVP 2006 trade id do with "commisioner" mode on. lol

I still want Otsuka and Kinsler.

Yeah... The Dodgers are a weird partner. They seem to have plenty of pitching but dumping Penny makes their staff very weak. At the same time their infield appears to be loaded (Nomar, Kent, Furcal) and Itzurus and later Mueller in the mix. Drew is a lock in the OF and Lofton is pretty good. Ethier and Cruz are pretty decent too. With Hall and Martin behind in the dish they seem in decet shape their. They have no awful, glaringly bad problems yet what they are doing is not working. I guess they could use a big bat- power shortage is their biggest problem. Drew, Nomar and Kent seem capable of 25ish homers apiece if not more but I guess even 25 at this point is a pipedream.

I guess I'd avoid the Dodgers then... They will want to be overwhelmed in a deal for Penny...probably would need like a Bailey/Bruce type prospect or a ML ready big bat... not going to happen from us hopefully.

The Padres seem like a logical trading partner with their 3B hole but we are likely in the same race and Aurilia + San Deigo= not a good combo. I guess we could try to package EE among others for Peavy or Young but I wouldn't count on them going for it as badly as they need a 3B.

Wayne really limited our trading possibilities with that last trade. We could try to deal Phillips/Ross/Ramirez while they have some value or try to package LaRue, Clayton, Milton or Aurilia but I would doubt to see a sufficient return. Our best chips are our prospects... The Bergolla/Olmedo/Wood/Pelland caliber might be able to land a big bench bat, 5th starter or solid reliever but unless we throw in multiple of those guys to get like a Itzurus type or a #3 starter I can't see us getting much. We have to give up at least a package starting with Votto to get a decent pitcher and more realistically Bruce or Bailey. I mean if we acquired a top of the line pitcher I wouldn't doubt that it would put us over the hump but the question is how much would we give us. The Marlins would probably listen to an offer starting with Homer Bailey for Willis, who is starting to get pricey.

We could use a decent 5th starter, one option I thought of would be dealing with the A's. Beane could probably use Donorfia. He's a high OBP guy... has speed too and they are not an especially fast team. With Zito, Haren, Harden, Blanton, Loiaza, Sarloos, and Halsey all as starters I'm sure they would consider trading one of the last 4... Halsey would seem to be a good pickup, ideally Blanton but I'd settle for either for a package starting with Donorfia (straight up for Halsey...more for Blanton). Another option is trying to deal with the Rockies (they too could use a big bat). They appear to be collapsing and they have some pitching for once.

No team with a wild card chance right now will be making trades. The NL is still wide open, except for the Pirates,Cubbies, Nationals and maybe Florida. Those are the teams that we should be talking too. Of those teams I like:

Armas-RHSP Nationals
    Wurtz-RHRP AAA Iowa Cubs
    Wells- RHSP Pirates
    Messenger-RHRP Florida
    Wilson-LF Pirates

Turn Off Ads?