Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dayton's Pitching Coach fired

Dayton's Pitching Coach fired

Reds fire 'negative' Dragons pitching coach
    Larry Pierson's staff ranked 11th among Midwest League's 14 teams in ERA; new coach takes over tonight.
    By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

DAYTON | When the Dayton Dragons boarded their bus to West Michigan on Thursday morning, pitching coach Larry Pierson wasn't with them.

Wednesday night, Pierson was fired by Reds farm director Johnny Almaraz.

"Johnny told me I was too negative," Pierson said.

Almaraz said Thursday that he had been thinking about the move for a while.

"We're committed to making the players the best they can be," he said. "We want to develop major leaguers, and we felt a change was needed."

Roving pitching instructor Mike LaCoss, a former Reds player, was acting pitching coach for the Dragons on Thursday night. New pitching coach Pete Magre, a recent hire by the organization, is expected to be in place tonight.

Magre, from San Antonio, was pitching coach at Division II Incarnate Ward College before signing with the Reds to help pitchers at the organization's rookie Gulf Coast League club in Sarasota, Fla.

"He pitched for the Reds in the minor leagues 10-12 years ago and he's got a lot of energy," Reds minor-league pitching coordinator Mack Jenkins said. "It was a tough decision because Larry's (Pierson) a good guy. But you've got a new farm director and a new pitching coordinator (Jenkins) and everyone is being evaluated, including myself."

Dragons manager Billy Gardner Jr. said he thought Pierson, "did a good job," and "helped the pitchers get better," but was not consulted on the move.

Using an organization-mandated tandem pitching system with strict pitch-count limits his first two years with the Dragons, Pierson's pitching staffs finished last in Midwest League team ERA at 5.03 in 2004 and 4.92 last season.

This summer, the Dragons rank 11th (out of 14) in team ERA at 3.92. Four pitchers from this year's staff were promoted after working with Pierson, including Johnny Cueto, Blake Hendley, Justin Mallett and Zac Stott.

Pierson picked up the last of his gear Thursday morning at Fifth Third Field and headed home near St. Louis.

"I get paid through November," he said. "I get a nice vacation."

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2157 or mkatz@daytondailynews.com
    Find this article at:
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...2106fired.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dayton's Pitching Coach fired

Now all he has to do is fire Mack Jenkins and the pitching in the minors will get even better

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EX BRAVEDAD
    Now all he has to do is fire Mack Jenkins and the pitching in the minors will get even better
    Hope Ken is doing well these days!

What does Mack do that is so bad?

Can anyone be more specific.....is it his attitude/ideas/hair style?

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    What does Mack do that is so bad?

Can anyone be more specific.....is it his attitude/ideas/hair style?
    He is by far the worst instructor the Reds have. That's saying a lot since they also have Jeff Young in Billings. Jenkins is another, least qualified, lowest bidder from the Naehring Administration. Hopefully all that will change soon.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

He must be a really nice guy to be able to be as bad as not just you....but a lot of other people say.

I think i would rather it be that he is disliked personally...but he gets results in what he has to do.

Gets results are you kidding this is the same guy that when my son went to AAA when he first got there and I am talking about 4 starts later. Bubba asked this so called coach for some help and this coaches response was put some Ws on the board and you will get some help. Bubba was 22 at the time and I know for a fact that this never would have happened in the Braves org. Then he started screwing whith his mechs. and his mental approach to the game. My opinion this guy is trash. I have no doudt he will be weeded out.

Gets results are you kidding this is the same guy that when my son went to AAA when he first got there and I am talking about 4 starts later. Bubba asked this so called coach for some help and this coaches response was put some Ws on the board and you will get some help. Bubba was 22 at the time and I know for a fact that this never would have happened in the Braves org. Then he started screwing whith his mechs. and his mental approach to the game. My opinion this guy is trash. I have no doudt he will be weeded out.
    He'll be weeded out when the budget gets an increase. Jenkins contract is for 19K. Like I said earlier, most unqualified, LOWEST BIDDER.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Thats too bad.. I always did like Bubba, wish he could have gotten a good chance here. It seems like he wasn't given the proper support and development/instruction in the organization and thats a shame. Best wishes to your son.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I never said he got results.

I said it would be BETTER or NICER ...if he was a jerk of a person BUT got results.

As opposed to being horrible as an instructor.......and maybe being a decent person.

Either way....cheap or not......and man 19K is pretty cheap.... if this guy is that putrid, why wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    I never said he got results.

I said it would be BETTER or NICER ...if he was a jerk of a person BUT got results.

As opposed to being horrible as an instructor.......and maybe being a decent person.

Either way....cheap or not......and man 19K is pretty cheap.... if this guy is that putrid, why wait?

I know what you are saying. Really does boggle the mind. I have NO DOUBT that this area will be addressed in the off-season. If it is not, then shame on the Reds.
    Cedric 3/24/08

It's a shame that a minor league pitching coordinator is only making 19k a year. Who can live on that?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jpup, he probably has a job in the offseason...I also wonder if he has to pay for housing or food while on the job? If he doesnt, then that 19k is a lot more than it seems.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Jpup, he probably has a job in the offseason...I also wonder if he has to pay for housing or food while on the job? If he doesnt, then that 19k is a lot more than it seems.
    I think this is the part where spending more on "development" comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    When you are training kids who will eventually and hopefully make millions of dollars, 19k is never much. If the guy is being paid for his players pitching well at the big league level, well, he's overpaid.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?