Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 FANTASY FOOTBALL Q and A

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

2006 FANTASY FOOTBALL Q and A

Tons of Fantasy Football discussion here and I think I may need some advice.....

1. KEEPER ????

I am in a 2nd year keeper league where we must keep one and may keep two from the previous season's roster.

We will be ramping up, so to speak, by next year (must keep two, may keep three) and then by year three, we must keep three.

Anyway, there is only 8 guys in this big $$$ league and even though I had the #1 team last year, I was knocked out in the 1st round of the playoffs, so it has already been determined that I get the #5 pick this year in our serpentine draft. Not the #8 pick, had I won it all. The scoring in this league is pretty much 50/50 (TD/YDS). No points for receptions or anything.

Before the draft, we must announce keepers. Actually, we have to write them down on a piece of paper and then the commissioner will write them on the draft board, above where we enter our draft picks. So, it will not be known who everyone else is keeping or who they're not keeping until I have already made my decision. I have Alexander and he will be a no-doubt keeper. After him, I have Caddy, D. Davis, Fitzgerald, and Holt to choose from.

If you only keep one, there is a supplemental round prior to the actual first round. The supp picks will go in the same order as the regular draft. So, if everyone (for whatever reason) picked only one keeper and went to the supplemental, I'd have the 5th pick there. With that said, should I even keep a second keeper between Caddy, D. Davis, Fitzgerald, and Holt? My line of thinking is that even though there could potentially be 4 guys drafting ahead of me in the supplemental (which will probably only be one or two) all of those four players of mine would be available to me if I keep only Alexander and wait for the supp to see what else is available. One guy (#1 pick) has Palmer, LJ, and Portis and I know he loves Palmer, so Portis may be available if he keeps two. Also, another guy, has Manning, Harrison, and Tiki, so one of those three will be left unprotected.

I guess what I'm wondering is, if it even makes sense to keep two for myself. Go to the supplemental, see what's out there and then if nothing looks good, I can always just re-draft one of Caddy, D. Davis, Fitzgerald, and Holt, right?

2. RB's GOOD, WR's NOT AS GOOD

We are going to a flex position this year. We will have to start:

1 QB
    2 RB
    2 WR
    1 Flex (RB, WR, TE)
    1 team D

Because of this, I will be loading up on RB's this year. I already have Alexander and the #5 pick, so I'm already off to a great start. The RB's I'm really interested in (after the top few which will be gone- LJ, LT, Portis, Tiki) are Ronnie Brown, Caddy, S. Jackson, E. James, W. McGahee, L. Jordan, and Rudi Johnson. If I can land two of these guys, to go along with Alexander, I will be well on my way to another 12-2 season, with hopefully a playoff win this time.

Question #2, how do you all rate the RB's after LJ, LT and SA?

3. PLAYOFF's

We are always trying to make the league better. The league I'm referring to above is in it's 10 year and has evolved drastically over time. In fact, we just started the "keeper" thing last year, however, there is nothing worse than going 12-2, basically lapping the field by clinching a playoff spot in week 8, and then getting knocked out by the #4 seed, when my team has it's first really bad week.

My starting team (last year) was:

QB-Brady (10th round pick)
    RB1-Alexander (1st)
    RB2-D. Davis (2nd)
    RB3-Caddy (5th)
    WR1-Holt (3rd)
    WR2-Fitzgerald (6th)
    WR/TE3-Gates (7th)
    K-Rackers (FA pickup)
    D-Steelers (8th)

My team was money, but I made no money, getting knocked out in the 1st round by the #4 seed. We usually give 1st place 70% and 2nd place 30% of the pot. We want to truly reward the winner, but of course, someone like me really gets screwed this way. So here was my idea to insure this doesn't happen (to anybody-not just me) again. The consensus #1 team gets a bye and automatically advances to the championship. So, since it's only an 8-team league anyway, the top three teams advance (with # 1 getting a bye) and #2 and #3 face off to determine who plays #1. Does that make any sense? We would have to vote on it, but I'm wondering if this is too stupid to even suggest. I think this idea maybe works two ways. It rewards the team that was there all year and it keeps a average team, such as the #4 seed from even being there. Last year, the #4 seed snuck into the playoffs at 7-7 and then upset my team and the #3 seed to win it all. It was total BS.

4. RESOURCES

Anyone know of a really good FREE fantasy site that updates lists, based on TD/YDS % (100-0, 75-25, 50-50, 25-75)?

Magazines?

I'm always looking for more info and love reading this stuff leading up to the draft. It makes draft night all the more fun.

5. AUCTIONS OR DRAFTS?

Anyone have experience with auctions? Are they better? How do they determine what player is up for bidding? Is it random? I'm still trying to figure this system out completely and think this may be the way to go in the future. Advice appreciated.

6. REDSZONE LEAGUE?

Anyone want to coordinate a little free yahoo league between 10-12 of us? I'm in and am cool with autodraft or live draft. Either way.

Well, only 5 weeks till draft night.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2006 FANTASY FOOTBALL Q and A

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    6. REDSZONE LEAGUE?

Anyone want to coordinate a little free yahoo league between 10-12 of us? I'm in and am cool with autodraft or live draft. Either way.

Well, only 5 weeks till draft night.
    I'll be organizing one within a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I would prob keep Dom. Davis as well, why not go into the draft w/ two really good running backs, and possible have a top wr/ or a 3rd running back at that time? Then you will already be set on RB at your first pick, If a better running back is still available great, you now have 3 very good rb's who can all start, dom davis if dropped will e drafted in the 1st round, it would be much better to have 3 1st rounders as opposed to 2 going into the fifth pick

auctions are great, much better than draft format, esp for keeper leagues, this is your team for years to come, everyone should have the abilitiy to get whomever they want for years to come, at a price. The nomination process is random, say high card or pick a name out of a hat, or however you determined your draft position in redraft leagues. Start w/ $100-$200 dollars, our league does a $150 draft cap. You then noominate the player and everyone has the opportunity to bid, you should have an auctioneer that is not in the leauge, but if you dont, that will work as well. You continue to nominate until everyone has their roster full, or is out of money. After the draft the salary cap is thrown away, everyone gets $50 to spend on free-agents throughout the season, or $100 or whatever you choose, and then bid on free-agents throughout the season, say a monday to wednesday bidding period, w/ player given to highest bidder on Thursday, Thurs-Kickoff you have open free-agency where anyone can pick up anyone available for $1 or $2 depending on how free-agency dollars you start with

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron
    I would prob keep Dom. Davis as well, why not go into the draft w/ two really good running backs, and possible have a top wr/ or a 3rd running back at that time? Then you will already be set on RB at your first pick, If a better running back is still available great, you now have 3 very good rb's who can all start, dom davis if dropped will e drafted in the 1st round, it would be much better to have 3 1st rounders as opposed to 2 going into the fifth pick
    I guess my thinking as that is if I didn't protect Caddy or D. Davis, they would still be there when my turn to pick came in the supplemental (before the actual 1st round) and I could then choose between them and maybe a Portis, Tiki, or Ronnie Brown if they are left exposed. I think I'm just giving myself more options. The only negative I can see is that #1-#4 draft slots also only protect one player, there is no Portis or Tiki available, and one of those 4 takes D. Davis or Caddy in the supp. I'm just trying to figure out if they would go before my 5th pick if I left them exposed.

I wouldn't think Davis would be taken in the first 4 picks of a supplemental draft. Maybe Cadillac, but probably not. I know it goes against everything every site tells you to do, but I'd have a hard time giving up Fitzgerald and not protecting him. I think he's going to have a total blow-up season. Like, totally make you sick, big. Jerry Rice in his prime big. I could be wrong in that, but he's the top WR on my board this year.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I wouldn't think Davis would be taken in the first 4 picks of a supplemental draft. Maybe Cadillac, but probably not. I know it goes against everything every site tells you to do, but I'd have a hard time giving up Fitzgerald and not protecting him. I think he's going to have a total blow-up season. Like, totally make you sick, big. Jerry Rice in his prime big. I could be wrong in that, but he's the top WR on my board this year.
    My board too. He and Holt. Man, I can't believe I had both of those guys on the same team last year.

I'd have a hard time not taking Fitty #5 in our 3rd round (#21 overall), but I don't think he'll be there.

As the #5 of the supplemental (#13 overall), I can't justify keeping him in that slot or re-drafting him there. The flex thing really makes it important to at least have two stud RB's.

Here is a list of what each person in my league has to work with. The more I look at this, the more it could be possible that I lose Caddy or D. Davis if I leave them exposed.

Red are definite keepers, based on what I know people will do. Blue are players I'm looking at.

Player #1 -supp #1 (#9 overall) - Brown, S.Jackson, A. Boldin.......He will keep Brown and wait and see what's available and may re-draft Jackson if need be.

Player #2 -supp #2 (#10 overall) - McGahee.......he has nothing else to protect and wouldn't even protect McGahee, but has to keep at least one.

Player #3 -supp #3 (#11 overall) - Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, Carson Palmer......no-brainer to keep Portis, but this guy is a wild card and may keep Palmer.

Player #4 -supp #4 (#12 overall) - Rudi Johnson, Eli Manning, J. Jones, T. Bell...another wildcard, this guy loves J. Jones and could do anything. He's be smart to keep just Rudi.

Player #5 -supp #5 (#13 overall) - S. Alexander, D. Davis, Cadillac Williams, L. Fitzgerald.....I will only keep Alexander.

Player #6 -supp #6 (#14 overall) - Tomlinson, L. Jordan, Chad Johnson.....I know this guy well and I wouldn't be surprised if he kept CJ.

Player #7 -supp #7 (#15 overall) - Edge James, Steve Smith, Randy Moss.......I think he keeps Edge and one of Smith/Moss.

Player #8 -supp #8 (#16 overall) - Payton Manning, Tiki Barber, T. Owens, Marvin Harrison....He'll keep Manning and who knows...
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 07-25-2006 at 04:40 PM.

Personally, I think player #4 is going to get screwed if he ends up keeping Rudi and Eli, or Rudi and Julius. He won't get a supplemental pick and will end up exposing one of my favorite players this year, Tatum Bell. Bell would be an outstanding pick for you if he lasts (doubtful) to your 3rd pick.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

So let's assume player #3 keeps Portis and Player #4 only keeps Rudi.

That means that three guys will pick before me in the supp (players # 1, #2, and #4).

Who will be available?

-S. Jackson
    -Cadillac Williams
    -D. Davis
    -Fitzgerald
    -Palmer
    -Boldin
    -Eli Manning
    -L Jordan
    -Randy Moss
    -Tiki Barber
    -Marvin Harrison

If you already had Alexander, what would be your order on these guys (especially the RB's in red)?

Tiki
    Steven Jackson
    Cadillac
    Jordan
    Davis

I *might* take one of Fitzgerald, Harrison and Moss ahead of Davis, or maybe even Fitzgerald and Harrison, but probably not Moss. Then again, I'm not big on Dominick Davis at all. Never owned him, probably never will.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Tiki
    Steven Jackson
    Cadillac
    Jordan
    Davis
    Whither Fred Taylor?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I like S Jackson better than Tiki. Tiki is getting up there in age, and has had to endure the pounding of the last several years. Jackson is entering his prime and Faulk may not play again this year, or ever.

I think I may like Caddy a little better as well, but its close.
    Last edited by medford; 07-26-2006 at 09:16 AM.

I like L. Jordan better than Dom as well, and steven jackson for that matter, If you find out that both of them are available at the draft then definately go for it, Not really that big on tiki even though he was great last year, he doesn't get many looks in the redszone, can he break as many big runs as last year? I doubt it. Do you get points per reception? if so, Lamont jumps to the top of my list w/ jackson #2, barber #3, and I do look for Dom to have a much better season w/ an improved offense and have him and caddy about even. after recieveing more info and upon further review, just keep alexander, and your worst possible choice will be who you have now.

No points per reception.

RB's

TD:

6 pts per TD (2 pt bonus if between 15-49, 4 pt bonus over 50)

YARDS:

1 pt for 25-49 total yds
    2 pts for 50-74 total yds
    3 pts for 75-99
    4 pts for 100-124
    7 pts for 125-149
    12 pts for 150-174
    14 pts for 175-199
    18 pts for 200+

RECEIVERS

TD: same as RB's - 6 pts per TD (2 pt bonus if between 15-49, 4 pt bonus over 50)

YARDS:

1 pt for 25-49 total yds
    2 pts for 50-74 total yds
    3 pts for 75-99
    7 pts for 100-124
    9 pts for 125-149
    11 pts for 150-174
    13 pts for 175-199
    14 pts for 200+

QB's

TD's: All TD's worth 6 points (regardless of length)

YARDS:

2 pts for 200-249 total
    4 pts for 250-299
    7 pts for 300-349
    10 pts for 350-399
    14 pts for 400-449
    18 pts for 450+

Turn Off Ads?