In an effort to boost posts and gain some rep to be able to post on the other board, here are my ideas to change the game and make it better for the present and the future. If you like what I say, shoot me some rep, if you don’t let me know!!!
1) League maximum and minimum payrolls are put in place and enforced. It’s great that the Yanks have to pay a “Luxury Tax”, but that should go to address team needs, not owner greed.
2) The MLB TV contract with ESPN has to have some clause that will ensure every MLB team gets at least one game of coverage. When I tune into an ESPN baseball broadcast, my first thought is “I wonder who the Yankees are playing tonight?”. I personally don’t care to watch Royals vs. Devil Rays, but there are people out there that will. If ESPN has to show the “big boys”, try to get some games against the bottom rung. It would be nice if our kids knew that there were teams playing major league ball other than the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, ChiSox, and Cardinals.
3) Give further incentive to players to stay with their current teams. My favorite player of all time is Barry Larkin and I probably couldn’t say that had he switched teams 4-5 times during his career. The 10-5 rule is nice, but include some sort of salary bonus for players who have X amount of service time with the same team.
4) Induct Pete Rose into the Hall of Fame. Enough said.
5) Revamp the All-Star game and voting process. There was a good thread on this around all-star time. You can look there for my opinions and others that are probably smarter than mine!!
Ok, I am tired of typing already but that is a start. I will probably think of other stuff to add once I have gotten feedback on the above. Thanks for reading!!