Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Baseball Card Memories

Re: Favorite Baseball Card Memories

I remember those big cardboard cards from around 1971 or so- I remember Willie Mays, Tony Perez, and Bill Melton. I also had some kind of coins about the same kind that came in the packs.

Did anyone collect the Big Red Machine RC pop cans?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 919191; 07-26-2006 at 08:22 AM.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Most of my cards come form the early to mid 70's and were bought at the local little league diamonds. After every game, win or lose, we'd get a "treat" usually paid for by one of the team parents. We'd get a little more if we won, a little less if we lost. Usually when we won the "treat" amount was enough for a pop (suicide, always!) and a 10-pack of baseball cards. Everyone would gather around as the guys who got cards rifled through them quickly checking for any Reds. If you happened to get a Bench or a Rose or a Morgan, you were the coolest kid at the diamonds that night...even if you'd gone 0-3 with an error.

My other great baseball card memory comes from the second grade. For whatever reason, the teacher would allow my buddy and me top sit in the back of the class and play "baseball" with our cards. One of us would be NL and one would be AL. We'd set out our defense on the desk while the other guy would arrange his cards in batting order. One of us would put his batter up to the plate and the other would do play-by-play. For whatever reason, Harmon Killebrew was the most dangerous hitter in our "game". He always got the big home run or the clutch double.

Good times.

The sticker books first surfaced in 1981. Note the reversed image and the left-handed catcher

The last one I got was from 1986 and has Pete Rose on the cover swatting his Ty-breaking hit. It has several pages dedicated to Rose.

Last edited by Hap; 07-26-2006 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I remember those big cardboard cards from around 1971 or so- I remember Willie Mays, Tony Perez, and Bill Melton. I also had some kind of coins about the same kind that came in the packs.

I have two in my office at work. Bench and Foster from 1978.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 07-26-2006 at 12:51 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by 919191

Yep, I've got a box of about 35-30 (maybe more?) of them stashed away in a closet. Needless to say, I drank RC every time I went to a vending machine in the summers of 1977 and 1978. I also have two or three with Bengals players on them. My cousin was also into this, and kept all the players from all the teams. I hoarded Reds players, accumulating multiples of most of them. I now wish I had kept the ones from the other teams, so my little collection would be more diverse.

You would think that these things would have some value thirty years later, but apparently not much. I checked ebay a couple of years ago and they could be had for not a lot of money. When I finally get my dream garage built and have lots of wall space to work with, I plan to put these things back on display, along with a lot of other memorabilia that I've been forced to pack away as the family has grown.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I collect baseball related postage stamps. My favorite is a 24K gold embossed Johnny Bench stamp issued by St. Vincent & The Grenadines. I also have an envelope signed by Bob Feller with his stamp on it (cancelled at Cooperstown on the day of his induction).

Quote Originally Posted by macro

Yep, I've got a box of about 35-30 (maybe more?) of them stashed away in a closet. Needless to say, I drank RC every time I went to a vending machine in the summers of 1977 and 1978. I also have two or three with Bengals players on them. My cousin was also into this, and kept all the players from all the teams. I hoarded Reds players, accumulating multiples of most of them. I now wish I had kept the ones from the other teams, so my little collection would be more diverse.

You would think that these things would have some value thirty years later, but apparently not much. I checked ebay a couple of years ago and they could be had for not a lot of money. When I finally get my dream garage built and have lots of wall space to work with, I plan to put these things back on display, along with a lot of other memorabilia that I've been forced to pack away as the family has grown.
    Yes, I used to have these. You now can now find these at flea mrkts, antique shops and of course EBAY.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    The first Red I got in a pack, the great Bill Plummer in 1978.
    Finally completing that 1978 set, 10 years later.
    Opening my very first 1989 Upper Deck pack ever - and getting the Ken Griffey Jr. card on the very top.
    Recently completing my 1968-1972 sets.
    Presently, getting each 1933 Goudey card - I have 118 cards of the 240 card set (38 of the 66 HOF cards).

My first year collecting as well. I was seven. I remember not caring about anything but pulling Reds out of packs. I loved the Morgan and Foster cards. I used to get a few new packs and then dump the new cards into a box with all the others and then shake the box up and put them back into teams. I loved doing that. Every time I bought new packs (a nickel a pack IIRC), I would do this. As I got older, I went to some card shops and eventually competed the set. They were in pretty bad shape, but I put them in plastic sheets in a binder and eventually traded the set for a 1989 Upper Deck complete set at a card show in 1989.

I was consumed with card collecting until I discovered girls.

In fact, if I hear a song from the period '78-83, I can almost 100% guarantee I get the year the song was out by shutting my eyes and picturing the cards I was collecting at that time.

Eventually, I got the '78 set back. Many of the cards I traded and sold away as a poor college student in the early 90's, I found again on Ebay and it's a total buyer's market right now. I don't care about turning a profit on them, I just want to have the cards back from my childhood.

The 1978 set I have now is near mint. I mean, these cards could almost all be sent away to be graded. Beautiful. I wouldn't be surprised if the average card was a 8-9, graded. I have every Topps set from 1978 on to about 1994. All either factory (sealed) or hand collated (1979, 1980, 1981) but in Mint. I just need to get on Ebay and start shopping all factory (sealed) sets from 1995-2006. I figure it may cost me well over $1000 to complete the gap.

I'm also in the process of going back to the first year I was alive (1971) and completing every set from 1971 to 1977. I have many older cards given to me by relatives, but I have a way to go to complete them with many of the commons. I need at least half of the '71 and '73 sets. I have about 75% of 1972 and most all of 1974. As for 1975-1977, I was thinking of just buying these as complete sets. I don't see how they could be that expensive. The 1975 set has Brett and Yount rookies, but other than that I'm sure I could find someone on Ebay that is desperate.

It is a total buyer's market now for anything you want.

I bought a box of Topps All-Time Fan Favorites on a whim a few years back. The first card I pulled was an autographed Mark Fidrych. It's ben a prized possession ever since.

I got a box of Bowman's Chrome for Christmas the first year it came out. Man, were those cards expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    Yes, I used to have these. You now can now find these at flea mrkts, antique shops and of course EBAY.
    I had a bunch of these cans. I probably had over 30 different ones. I would pick them up along the road,wash them off and stacked them on a shelf. My mom told me a while back they were still in a box in the loft back home.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?