Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peavy

Peavy

He's not doing so hot this year- 4-10, 5.15 ERA. With Woody Williams back, Chris Young's emergence, Hensley and Park's decent pitching and the holes at 3B and the middle of the Padres' order do you think the Padres would swap him for a package of Edwin Encarnacion and Brandon Claussen (to fill the #5 slot in the rotation)? Would you do this on the Reds end?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Peavy

No, the Pads would never do that.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Would you trade Aaron Harang and Edwin Encarnacion?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig
    Would you trade Aaron Harang and Edwin Encarnacion?
    nope. Harang is staying put in Cincy for a long time, hopefully.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

You think they'd take Elizardo and EdE?

Quote Originally Posted by redsandrails
    Nope.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by redsandrails
    I don't think they'd take anyone for Peavy personally. I was in San Diego earlier this year and even though Peavy was under .500 and pitching badly everyone there worships the guy. That'd be the equivalent of our front office dealing Bronson Arroyo at the deadline if he had a bad 2nd half.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

The thing is, he's not pitching badly. He's got 128 Ks and only 33 BBs in 117 IPs. He's been extremely hit-unlucky and has given up more HRs than usual. Maybe he's been tipping his pitches or something.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Peavy is dealing with a serious shoulder injury --- it does not portend well for his future. While I'd love to have him, given that the asking price would likely be MUCH MUCH greater than EE & Claussen and the injury, it problably isn't a good fit.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Would take about as much to get him as it would Willis
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Peavy is dealing with a serious shoulder injury --- it does not portend well for his future. While I'd love to have him, given that the asking price would likely be MUCH MUCH greater than EE & Claussen and the injury, it problably isn't a good fit.
    He's not pitching like he's injured, though. Injured pitchers generally can't strike batters out like Peavy is doing.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    He's not pitching like he's injured, though. Injured pitchers generally can't strike batters out like Peavy is doing.
    He has even stated publicly that the shoulder is no longer bothering him.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    He has even stated publicly that the shoulder is no longer bothering him.
    Pitchers never lie?
    Go Gators!

I read somewhere once that their GM said he wouldn't trade Peavy for ANYONE. I'm sure thats just nice talk about his players, but still I think it shows how much they value him.

Jake Peavy is one of my favorite pitchers in the MLB. Top 5 I think. Liriano, Santana, and Verlander are the only ones I can think of that I'd rather have.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Per Will Carroll at BP on 7/24/06

The Padres have a more interesting situation. At the start of the year, I was shocked to see Jake Peavy on the cover of BP. Sure, everyone loved him, but not many people realized how serious the shoulder injury Peavy had was going to be. I tried to explain that he was suffering from a similar injury to the one that had sidelined Ben Sheets and Bartolo Colon. Peavy’s toughness and lower natural arm slot helped him pitch, but his results so far show that he’s been missing the mark more than hitting it. Less control, less velocity, and less motion is the nightmare trifecta for any pitcher, let alone one expected to contend for a Cy Young. At 26, Peavy’s health has him at something of a crossroads career-wise. Shoulder injuries don’t portend long, effective careers without summoning up visions of Frank Tanana. At least there’s better news for Padres fans when it comes to Chris Young: in addition to no dead arm, Young made it through a test of his injured push foot. He’ll start as scheduled on Monday.
    You can see I "borrowed" some of Will's language. Consider this my proper citing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?