Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peavy

Re: Peavy

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Per Will Carroll at BP on 7/24/06

You can see I "borrowed" some of Will's language. Consider this my proper citing.
    I'm not doubting you, RedsManRick. I've read about his injury, too.

But I do have to dispute Will's claims of "less control, less velocity, and less motion" and that Peavy has been missing the mark more than hitting it. His K rate is higher than last season's, and his BB rate is just about equal to last season's. He's just not pitching like a guy with a bum shoulder. Either he's the toughest hombre on either side of the Pecos, or his shoulder isn't that much of a problem.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

His walk and K rates are right in line with past years, however, when he is getting hit, he's getting hit much harder. Maybe it's simply bad luck. Or maybe he has a little less control and motion, allowing better batters to square and drive the ball a bit more frequently. He's still damn good, just not as dominant.

2002: 1.09 H/IP, .11 HR/IP, .762 OOPS
    2003: 0.89, .17, .738
    2004: 0.88, .08, .661 (PETCO Opens)
    2005: 0.80, .09, .633
    2006: 1.03, .14, .766

20% more hits and 50% more homers tells me something is likely up. Also, an aside to this part of the conversation. His career ERA at Petco is over half a run less than on the road.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Peavy?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

We could use some amps.
    Go Gators!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    We could use some amps.
    The kind that go to eleven!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

THere's nothing wrong with Peavy that a good dose of average luck won't solve. He's got the third best DIPS ERA in the league, right behind Webb and Harang.

He looked pretty good today vs. the Dodgers.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?