Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers acquire Dessens

Dodgers acquire Dessens

for Odalis Perez.

Dodgers get Dessens for Perez, minor-league arms

The Los Angeles Dodgers have added some help by acquiring pitcher Elmer Dessens from Kansas City, CBS SportsLine.com has learned.

Dessens didn't come cheap: The Dodgers sent disgruntled lefty Odalis Perez to the Royals, along with some cash to offset part of what's left of Perez's $7.25 million contract this season and his $7.75 million salary in 2007.

The Dodgers also included two minor league pitchers in the deal, right-handers Blake Johnson and Julio Pimentel.

Dessens was 5-7 with a 4.50 ERA in 43 appearances for the Royals this season and is expected to pitch out of the bullpen in a return engagement with the Dodgers. He was employed by Los Angeles for part of the 2004 season and all of 2005 after previously pitching in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Arizona.

The combustible Perez opened the season in the Dodgers' rotation before pitching himself out of the club's plans with inconsistent performances and a couple of clubhouse outbursts that put him out of favor in the organization. Among other things, he had accused the Dodgers of treating him like "trash."

Sometimes, he has pitched that way -- he is 4-4 with a 6.83 ERA in 20 appearances this season, including eight starts.

The Dodgers, who have lost 12 of their past 13 games to fall into last place in the NL West, are looking for both pitching and hitting help.

General manager Ned Colletti said at midday Tuesday that he's beginning to see a bit of movement in what has been a stagnant market.

"Things are starting to open up a little today, just a touch," said Colletti, who is in Las Vegas on a scouting mission to watch the Dodgers' Triple-A affiliate. "But it's as slow as I remember it being.

"It's real slow."
    LINK

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dodgers acquire Dessens

How far has Odalis Perez fallen that they have to throw in minor leaguers and cash just to get someone to take him for Elmer Dessens?

Looks like he's fallen all the way to Kansas City.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I wonder if this opens up the possibility of them trading Mark Redman? I could see them possibly not moving Redman before if they didn't have a replacement for him but now they have Odalis Perez and will have Zach Greinke back soon as well.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

If Perez thought the Dodgers treated him like trash before he's got another 'think' comin'. So Odalis, how ya' liken bein' in the minors in Kansas City?

Rem

Wow. Just, wow.

We've heard this is a sellers market, but Dessens for Odalis Perez?? Are you serious?? Maybe sticking with what you've got is the best option, Wayne.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Looks like he's fallen all the way to Kansas City.
    Makes you wonder why LA didn't just retain Dessens after last season. I don't remember the particulars of why he left. Looks like he was a swing man for them last year.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    How far has Odalis Perez fallen that they have to throw in minor leaguers and cash just to get someone to take him for Elmer Dessens?
    Unreal!

So what value does Stormy have?

My Milton for Perez idea is dead.

If this is the market we should just be happy with what we have.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    If this is the market, maybe we should seriously consider selling despite the standings.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    If this is the market, maybe we should seriously consider selling despite the standings.
    There's a tinge of guilt when I say it, but I almost agree. I would like to see what Wayne could net in an extreme seller's market. This would be the perfect market to unload Griffey or Milton's contract.

At the same time, it would really damage relations with the fanbase. Krivsky and BCast are fighting an uphill battle in trying to win the fans over. Moving to firesale mode when we lead in the wild card would be a public relations catastrophe.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy
    There's a tinge of guilt when I say it, but I almost agree. I would like to see what Wayne could net in an extreme seller's market. This would be the perfect market to unload Griffey or Milton's contract.

At the same time, it would really damage relations with the fanbase. Krivsky and BCast are fighting an uphill battle in trying to win the fans over. Moving to firesale mode when we lead in the wild card would be a public relations catastrophe.
    Yeah, there's no way on earth they could do it. The casual fan (who still isn't coming to the ballpark by the way) would see the standings, then see a "firesale" and not come back for another 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy

If the fans were smart, they would understand the unloading Griffey's, and especially Milton's contract, would actually help the team. It will never happen, though.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    My Milton for Perez idea is dead.

No its not.

It just sends Uncle Miltie to Kansas City.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I'm sure there are people in the front office who believe Milton is going to play an important role in the outcome of the Reds season. I agree with them.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?