Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zach Ward having problems tonight...sort of

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Zach Ward having problems tonight...sort of

Ward is through 5 innings and has 6 walks and just 2 strikeouts. Good thing is, he hasnt allowed a run and just 3 hits. Not really sure why he is walking so many people lately, but its time for the kid to get promoted.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zach Ward having problems tonight...sort of

I wonder why the Reds are "protecting" Ward while Cueto was overpromoted? Poor job by JA on that one.

Willie0023

Amen. The Reds have been botchariffic handling him so far.

On a side note however lots of the Reds brass were in Dayton tonight. Krivsky, Jenkins, Almarez. Hopefully they will send him up soon. It would be nice to see what he can do at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie0023

On a side note however lots of the Reds brass were in Dayton tonight. Krivsky, Jenkins, Almarez. Hopefully they will send him up soon. It would be nice to see what he can do at the next level.
    Lots of trade bait in Dayton, maybe Krivsky is doing a little pantry check.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie0023

It may be they're getting ready to move some folks up from Billings too and want to see who can move up out of Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Lots of trade bait in Dayton, maybe Krivsky is doing a little pantry check.
    agreed. Hope that you have fun in your new organization, Zach

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I was at the game last night, only lasted 6 innings with the 3 yr old though.

I was completely disappointed with Ward last night. I had expected much, much more from him. He only hit 90 one time and was working mostly at 86 MPH or so and he had all sorts of control problems. He doesn't appear to hide the ball very well either, you can pick it up very early.

While he is tearing through A ball pretty well, I really have to question if he is going to be able to hold that type of domination as he advances. Based on the one outing I have seen, I'd say fat chance.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I was at the game last night, only lasted 6 innings with the 3 yr old though.

I was completely disappointed with Ward last night. I had expected much, much more from him. He only hit 90 one time and was working mostly at 86 MPH or so and he had all sorts of control problems. He doesn't appear to hide the ball very well either, you can pick it up very early.

While he is tearing through A ball pretty well, I really have to question if he is going to be able to hold that type of domination as he advances. Based on the one outing I have seen, I'd say fat chance.

GL
    bummer. Nobody wants an A ball pitcher coming off of a bad outing. Sounds like now we'll have to keep him and trade somebody else.
    Last edited by princeton; 07-26-2006 at 10:22 AM.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    bummer. Nobody wants an A ball pitcher coming off of a bad outing. Sounds like now we'll have to keep him and trade somebody else.
    I guess it depends on that persons definition of "bad outing". He walked 6 but tossed a 5 inning shutout. Kind of a mixed bag.

He is sporting a 2.29 ERA and a WHIP < 1 on the season. I guess I was expecting a bit more out of the guy.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    agreed. Hope that you have fun in your new organization, Zach
    Yep.

That's what I've been thinking ever since the Cueto promotion. The Reds challenged the guy who they think can be special and left Zach in Dayton to dominate the youngsters and keep his prospect status nice and shiny. I think Ward is viewed by the Reds front office as a the classic throw in single-A prospect who puts a trade offer over the top.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 07-26-2006 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    I think Ward is viewed by the Reds front office as a the classic throw in single-A prospect who puts a trade offer over the top.
    I hope the FO is that self-aware.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I think the odds that the Reds are keeping him at Low A because they think he will fail at High A, and therefore keeping his trade value high.... as essentially non-existent.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Willie0023

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    He only hit 90 one time and was working mostly at 86 MPH or so and

GL
    The above statement is simply not true. Zach was at 91-93 all game. If you were going by the radar on the scoreboard then thats where you are going wrong. Thats been off all year. If you walk down behind the backstop there are always players from both teams scouting pitches. You can ask them what a guy is throwing, and they will tell you. Zach looked tired. He may be hitting wall as this is his frst full season in the minors. He has pitched great. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not only HSer's like Wood who have hit the wall recently. First pro-season can test preperation(as Bailey found out last year), even for College players.

Wood is having a better year than Bailey did last year at Dayton. IMO we won't see the real Travis Wood until he gets stronger and adds a few pounds ot his small frame. I'm thinking Billy Wagner except with a changeup.

Turn Off Ads?