Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Encarnacion eager for more playing time

Encarnacion eager for more playing time

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

HOUSTON -- In recent days and weeks, Internet bloggers have taken to posting "Free Edwin Encarnacion" messages.
    Some fan blogs have even displayed a picture of the Reds third baseman behind bars. Many more fans have wondered why Encarnacion hasn't played more lately.

But no one has wondered more than Encarnacion himself.

"Yeah, it's tough. I don't know what's going on," Encarnacion said. "The thing is, when they give me an opportunity to play, I'll try to do my job and try to do the best I can. That's the best thing that can happen for me right now."

To that end, Encarnacion has held up his end of the bargain offensively. He entered Tuesday with a five-game hitting streak and batting .478 (11-for-23) with one homer and five RBIs over the last eight games he's played since he returned from the disabled list on July 6.

However, it was Rich Aurilia and his equally torrid bat that started again for Cincinnati on Tuesday. Aurilia, whose 14-game hitting streak ended Saturday as a pinch-hitter, has manned the hot corner for most of July. Encarnacion started three straight games, Thursday through Saturday.

Until he sprained his left ankle in early June, Encarnacion played every day. Manager Jerry Narron has never explained why the 23-year-old's playing time decreased, but he has made it clear all season he prefers solid defense. Encarnacion has committed a club-high 15 errors this season. That included one in his first game back from the DL, but none since. Aurilia has committed six errors combined at four positions.

"This is the first time that I have to come to the ballpark and check the lineup to see if I'm playing at all," said Encarnacion, who is batting .293 with seven homers and 41 RBIs this season. "The only thing I want is to win games. If we win games, everything will be all right."

Narron has been trying to find ways to keep the steady bats of Aurilia, Encarnacion and first baseman Scott Hatteberg in the lineup. Aurilia has played mostly third or first base this season, but he could shift to spot start in one of the middle infield spots.

"There's a chance of it," Narron said. "I came close to doing it Sunday. With [Juan] Castro and [Royce] Clayton, it's tough to do. I want to play one of them at short."

Brandon Phillips has been a fixture at second base, and Narron has been reluctant to rest his infield's best glove. But the skipper plans to make more use of Encarnacion.

"Eddie will definitely play tomorrow [against Houston lefty Andy Pettitte]," Narron said. "He'll definitely play either Thursday here or Friday in Milwaukee, maybe both."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Encarnacion eager for more playing time

Aurilia has played mostly third or first base this season, but he could shift to spot start in one of the middle infield spots.

"There's a chance of it," Narron said. "I came close to doing it Sunday. With [Juan] Castro and [Royce] Clayton, it's tough to do. I want to play one of them at short."

Aurilia at short?

only if Sid Fernandez is pitching

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    Aurilia has played mostly third or first base this season, but he could shift to spot start in one of the middle infield spots.

Aurilia at short?

only if Sid Fernandez is pitching
    or Eric Milton
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

So, again, to be clear, Narron is making EE the platoon guy who "definitely" plays against lefties, while Aurilia plays against lefties and righties, shifting between 1st and 3rd to stay in the lineup no matter what.

As the weeks wear on, it's still a choice I firmly disagree with...

The article just says middle infield. Aurilia at 2nd, Phillips at short and EE at 3rd is the lineup Narron should try.

I posted this in the game thread, but it's worth mentioning again ...

Encarnacion has been back on the roster and off the DL for 15 games this season. He's started exactly six of those games.

He's hitting .293/.386/.505, good for an .891 OPS and 6.88 RC/27, and I don't know of anyone that predicted that type of line out of him this season (close to that line, but not that high of an OBP). In 241 plate appearances, he has 21 doubles. That's one double every 11.47 plate appearances. Over a full season, that's in the neighborhood of about 57 doubles.

Heck, the all-time major league record for doubles in a single season is 67, which was set by Earl Webb way back in 1931. The last players to reach 60 or more doubles in a single season were Hall of Famers Joe Medwick (64 doubles) and Charlie Gehringer (60 doubles), both in 1936.

Here's a post from spring training from jmcclain19... http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=33

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    As WOY pointed out, a great year for EdE would be around

.280AVG/.335OBP/.475SLG/.810OPS

Just so everyone has a point of reference here
    Code:
    2005 Stats

David Wright
    .306AVG/.388OBP/.523SLG/.911OPS

Eric Chavez
    .269AVG/.329OBP/.466SLG/.794OPS

Morgan Ensberg
    .283AVG/.388OBP/.557SLG/.945OPS

Hank Blalock
    .263AVG/.318OBP/.431SLG/.749OPS

Melvin Mora
    .283AVG/.348OBP/.474SLG/.821OPS
    If EdE puts up numbers close to these type of numbers every Reds fan should be doing cartwheels.
    Yes, Aurilia's done a decent job, but he's still been outperformed quite a bit by Encarnacion in 2006. To say this is starting to get ridiculous with Encarnacion riding the bench is a bit of an understatement.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

EE is not nearly as scrappy as Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    I posted this in the game thread, but it's worth mentioning again ...

Encarnacion has been back on the roster and off the DL for 15 games this season. He's started exactly six of those games.

He's hitting .293/.386/.505, good for an .891 OPS and 6.88 RC/27, and I don't know of anyone that predicted that type of line out of him this season (close to that line, but not that high of an OBP). In 241 plate appearances, he has 21 doubles. That's one double every 11.47 plate appearances. Over a full season, that's in the neighborhood of about 57 doubles.

Heck, the all-time major league record for doubles in a single season is 67, which was set by Earl Webb way back in 1931. The last players to reach 60 or more doubles in a single season were Hall of Famers Joe Medwick (64 doubles) and Charlie Gehringer (60 doubles), both in 1936.

Here's a post from spring training from jmcclain19... http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=33

Yes, Aurilia's done a decent job, but he's still been outperformed quite a bit by Encarnacion in 2006. To say this is starting to get ridiculous with Encarnacion riding the bench is a bit of an understatement.

Preaching to the choir again.

And Jerry Narron's not even capable of passing the offering plate.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Jerry has too many vets.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Jerry has too many vets.
    or not enough depending on the point of view.

Damn you RA....start hitting like Doug Flynn, Tom Lawless, Junior Kennedy, German Barranca, Ed Crosby, Chico Ruiz.....or our all time favorite...
    Mr. De La Hoz............ be a team player and suck....so EE can start.

Then......do your thing off the bench....so JN will figure..."Well, he is too valuable off the bench to start."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    Damn you RA....start hitting like Doug Flynn, Tom Lawless, Junior Kennedy, German Barranca, Ed Crosby, Chico Ruiz.....or our all time favorite...
    Mr. De La Hoz............ be a team player and suck....so EE can start.

Then......do your thing off the bench....so JN will figure..."Well, he is too valuable off the bench to start."
    Classic! (De La Hoz...)

Quote Originally Posted by wally post
    Classic! (De La Hoz...)

The board would have exploded if he said Rafael Santo Domingo.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

EE is the future for the Reds. With Aurilia the Reds live in the past---not to say that Rich hasn't done a good job. I know most folks here believe the Reds are in a pennant race and, so far, they are. It's great and I root for them to win every day. But the difference between EE and RA is so slight that I would rather have EE on the field and learning more and more and preparing for the future.

Keep kicking EE around and, when he becomes free agent eligible, he may remember the shabby treatment.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 07-26-2006 at 02:10 AM.

Hate to disagree, Rem, but I figure he'll go to whoever offers him the most $$$$$$$$$$$$. That loyalty thing doesn't much exist these days. The best thing Encarnacion can do right now is take a bunch of ground balls every day in front of Jerry Narron and get that throwin' thing down.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?