Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Red Machine

Re: Big Red Machine

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Add the fact that Howsam hated Perez's agent (who also was Eastwicks) and you can see how resistance to the new economic structure slowed the team down, if they had played the market correctly they could have patched up holes with FA's and maybe won 2 more titles in the 70's.
    Add a couple of decent FA relievers and they could have beaten the coked-up "We Are Family" Pirates in 1979 and made it to the World Series.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Add a couple of decent FA relievers and they could have beaten the coked-up "We Are Family" Pirates in 1979 and made it to the World Series.
    That Reds team could have used a super sub too, Paul Blair had a .445 OPS in 140 at bats and Heity Cruz and Junior Kennedy together had as many at bats as Griffey and Geronimo.

IF Griffey does not get hurt and plays more than about 99 games.....and George Foster does not get hurt and miss 40, although he was back for the playoffs, than that offense was stronger.

Cruz played well in the sub-spot starter role..... almost like a 1973 version of Andy Kosco but with less power.

That Pirate team though was really good that year.....great bench....maybe the coke was minimal or the best that pablo escobar could deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    That Pirate team though was really good that year.....great bench....maybe the coke was minimal or the best that pablo escobar could deliver.
    From what I've read, the coke flowed like Sweet 'N' Low at a Weight Watchers convention.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The 78 team on paper looked bad and at times they were but they still managed to win 92 games.After Sparky was fired Wagner made a statement at the press conference saying that "Sparky Anderson has served us well but we intend to set a higher standard".What a joke coming from a joke was my thoughts on that one.Although Sparky claims that firing him was not Wagners decision but the Williams Bros.
    The 79 team was good and they could have easily won the 1st 2 playoff games at Riverfront in 79 but lost them both in extra innings.
    The 1981 team still sticks in my crawl because the way the IDIOTS in charge handled the remainder of the season after the Strike. $ teams had no reason to put out the rest of the season because they were already in the playoffs. The Reds Had the best record in the ML and didn't qualify. The Kansas City Royals had an overal losing record and they qualified.That team might have won it all but we'll never know.
    Howsam said it right when he said in 1976 after clinching their second straight title that"this is probably the last great team we will ever see" He knew what was coming and it did.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Turn Off Ads?