Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Build Your Team

Build Your Team

Build your team position by position using skill-sets only so don't use any actual player names.

For example: 1B - big bat, strong glove, SS, good range, at least decent bat

Remembering that teams of all HOF players only happen in XBox and fantesy baseball you can't have ".300 hitter, never makes an error, steals 33 bases" at every position so some compromises are going to have to be made. Where do you compromise one skill set to get more skills at another more important postion?

Feel free to include pitching and again it's not realistic to have 5 cy young winners on your staff so compromises will have to be made. Same with bullpen.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I'm toolsy.

Re: Build Your Team

Ok here goes, I know you said not to use names, but I will include some as examples of what I am talking about:

1B - Conerstone of your franchise and batting order (a Pujols or Papi type player)

2B - Solid, though not spectacular with the glove. 280ish hitter with 15 HR potential with above average speed (someone named Brandon Phillips comes to mind!!!!!)

SS - The mental make-up of a true leader. Slick glove. Same "skill set" as 2B (Someone who once wore #11 and a big "C" on his chest comes to mind)

3B - High BA hitter with 25 hr potential. I have a man crush on David Wright and would include him on any "dream team". This player would be a compliment to the franchise first baseman and would bat 3rd.

C - DEFENSE UP THE MIDDLE!!!!! Really looking for someone who has an incredible mind for the pitching game and the scouting reports. Anything above a .250 average and 10 -12 HRs would make me happy. Benito Santiago and Sandy Alomar, Jr fit the mold here.

OFers - I am lumping this together becuase I don't think that it's important offensively which stats comes from which position. Defensively, I stand by the "book" which says your best arm goes in right, your best coverage goes and center and whoever is left goes in left. Offensively, I am looking for 50 stolen bases, a .290 average and 100 HRs from this threesome. I need a solid leadoff man and a god "protection" #5 hitter from this group. There are WAY too many names to choose from here. Just insert your own favorites.

The pitching staff would have to be anchored by a true ace if the team hopes to have any playoff success. I like the mental make-up of a Clemens or a Schilling here. Not only can they perform on the field, but the set an example for the rest of the staff off the field. Give yourself a Harang-like #2 and #3. Round out the rotation with a .500 veteran and a up and coming rookie from your system and you are playoff bound.

Veteran leadership picks up a bat to pinch hit with a guy like Lenny Harris. A "super sub" like Jose Oquendo would also be nice here.

The bullpen focuses on missing bats. I want pitchers who really know how to bring the heat. A good mixture of righties and lefties who are comfortable in their roles is a must. I like the Tony Larussa school of "specializing". If I need a groundball for a double play, I will have someone to call on. If I need a big strike out in the 7th inning of a tie game, I have a man for that.

Well, I may have completely over-shot the budget, but I can dream right?

RisingReds

if you get to pick...
    C best available
    1B best available
    2B best available
    SS best available
    3B best available
    RF best available
    CF best available
    LF best available
    Starting Rotation Best available
    Bullpen best available

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

1B- The "big bat" with a solid glove over there as well.

2B- agree with futureredsgm on this one. a second baseman doesnt have to have great range or a rocket arm to be good in his position, and i'd take a .275 average and a patient approach at the plate.

SS- Good range and a strong arm are a must. At the plate I would take the same production as I put down for the 2B but with more speed on the basepaths.

3B- I like an Aramis Ramirez type of guy, 30 homeruns and somewhere around a .300 avg year in and year out. just decent in the field with a knack to come up with a spectacular play every so often.

C- I'll take a dropoff in offense from my catcher as long as he is going to call a great game for my pitchers. I think that's the most important quality that a catcher has.

OF- I agree with FRGM again on this for the first part, as far as where to stick the guys in left, center and right, but I'd look for a little more production out of my outfield. My CF would be the only real speedy guy because I'd already have that threat convered in my infield in the SS/2b. My RF and LF would be guys who could just get by hitting in the .270's but with a little of pop in their bats. Defensively I wouldn't ask for anything more than solid range and one strong arm out there.

Rotation- Obviously you need your go to guy to be a stopper, your "ace", so I'll just focus on the other 4. I think having a variety of different styles of pitcher in the rotation helps to throw a team off. If your ace is a guy who throws smoke into the deep innings, then I would want my #2 to be a guy who throws a lot of junk effectively, a Zito type. #3 would be a sinkerballer then you could repeat.

Bullpen- a dependable closer and a mix of lefty and righty arms is all I'd ask for.

if you get to pick...
    C best available
    1B best available
    2B best available
    SS best available
    3B best available
    RF best available
    CF best available
    LF best available
    Starting Rotation Best available
    Bullpen best available
    Wow...thanks for that thoughtfull analysis...

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Here are my thoughts...

1B: Solid to exceptional offense, prob a bigger guy to stop more balls from getting by him. At the least, able to dig out balls very well. Doesn't have to be too fast.

2B: Middle to good defense, power hitter with exceptional offense, some range but doesn't have to be too fast.

SS: Great range, solid to exceptional D, speedy baserunner, could live with medicore offensive output but would prefer more towards solid.

3B: Solid D and Solid Output. Doesn't have to excel at either but should be solid at both. Speed on the basepaths is a plus.

OF: Speedy guy in CF with decent pop in his bat and good to solid offensive production along with a decent to solid arm. Good defensive and arm guy in RF with solid to exceptional offensive output. LF should be at least adaqute D and solid to exceptional offensive output.

C: First and foremost a cannon arm to deal with baserunners. Able to work well with pitchers and help them keep their heads in the game. Don't care about speed but needs to be soild offensive guy.

Starting pitching: Must have a solid number 1,2 and 3 guy. Guys who can give you lots of innings, dominate other teams and rarely have bad nights. Don't care if they are power or controll as long as they fit this bill. ERA in the 1's and 2's.

Number 4 and 5 guys should at least be able to keep you in the game. Give you servacable starts and only occasinally have bad nights. If they can consistantly make it into the 6th inning that would be great.

Bullpen:
    You need 2 or 3 solid long/middle reliefe guys to keep you in games or not give up leads. Solid dependable guys that don't have to be flamethrowers but can get batters out. It would be great to have a "closer" (actually I don't care for that term) that you can turn to to wrap things up. More critical in my mind is a "stopper". The flamethrowing monster that makes batters cry and managers pee their pants. A guy you can put into any pressure situation whether it's the 5th or bottom of the 9th and get the job done. The guy that you can count on to get batters out. Then you have a guy to turn to for "problem areas" and still have a closer for later in the game.

I agree with most of what I've seen here. One thing I would look for is two catchers who can each handle a staff and play excellent defense. Given that neither is going to hit much, I could afford to PH for my starter in the late innings, knowing there's no defensive dropoff to my backup.

Of couse, that means I need a bench with 2 or more hitters I'd want to use as PH.

Turn Off Ads?