Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Angels interested in Hatteberg?

Old Red Guard Reject

Angels interested in Hatteberg?

I read this on prosportsdaily.com:

Orange County Register (scroll down) (registration required): " The Angels apparently have decided first base is the position they would like to improve by the July 31 trade deadline, with Ben Broussard, Sean Casey and Craig Wilson three of their top targets. Scott Hatteberg and Doug Mientkiewicz appear to be fallback positions."

I never heard Mr. Hat mentioned before in trade talks.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Angels interested in Hatteberg?

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    I read this on prosportsdaily.com:

Orange County Register (scroll down) (registration required): " The Angels apparently have decided first base is the position they would like to improve by the July 31 trade deadline, with Ben Broussard, Sean Casey and Craig Wilson three of their top targets. Scott Hatteberg and Doug Mientkiewicz appear to be fallback positions."

I never heard Mr. Hat mentioned before in trade talks.
    The Hat for Ervin Santana? Erick Aybar?

In all seriousness, as productive as he's been I would deal Hat for an upgrade either in the rotation or at SS in a second. It would solve the Aurillia/EdE crisis with Rich moving to 1B fulltime. Plus Hat has a history of fading production down the stretch. His value now is at an all time high. Maybe package him with LaRue for...Brandon Wood??
    Go BLUE!!!

Perusing Reds stats this AM, Hatteberg has passed up Adam Dunn for team lead in OPS.

And that's saying someting since Adam has been hitting a ton since the AS brak.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    The Hat for Ervin Santana? Erick Aybar?

In all seriousness, as productive as he's been I would deal Hat for an upgrade either in the rotation or at SS in a second. It would solve the Aurillia/EdE crisis with Rich moving to 1B fulltime. Plus Hat has a history of fading production down the stretch. His value now is at an all time high. Maybe package him with LaRue for...Brandon Wood??
    I've been fine with the Hatteberg signing and he's been a great asset all season (some Redzone folks notwithstanding), but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for prospects (and all the more if we can package LaRue in there too - the more the merrier). He's been a great presence on the club, but I agree with the other poster who mentioned it would help with the Aurilia/EE dilemma.

RisingReds

i would like to see them keep hatteberg unless its a deal that you can't pass up, because i think he will be a solid playoff guy, and help the younger ones during the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by RisingReds
    i would like to see them keep hatteberg unless its a deal that you can't pass up, because i think he will be a solid playoff guy, and help the younger ones during the playoffs.
    Jerry is that you?? Actually I agree we should keep him, could care less about his playoff experience (didn't they lose consistantly?) and helping younger guys. His numbers show what he can do.

It's generally better to trade guys like Hatteberg (aging vets having a career year) than keep them.

Lots of people wanted to keep Joe Randa last season. How's he doing now?

Sell high on Hatteberg, move Aurilia to first, and put Edwin in as the everyday 3B.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    It's generally better to trade guys like Hatteberg (aging vets having a career year) than keep them.

Lots of people wanted to keep Joe Randa last season. How's he doing now?

Sell high on Hatteberg, move Aurilia to first, and put Edwin in as the everyday 3B.
    If they can truly sell high on Hatteberg, I'd be all for it. But if the deal is for some middling 4.50 ERA reliever, or some chump AA prospect who may never amount to a hill of beans, then forget it. Keep him and his .900+ OPS bat in the lineup for the rest of the season. I like his defense at first, and I like the way that he hits. But I REALLY like the fact that he's doing it for the baseball equivalent of peanuts.

The reds can be very choosy if they're shoppig Hatteberg, and if there aren't any offers that bowl them over they can continue to benefit from the production that he has been giving them thus far.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

No Hatteberg means you have 6 or 7 righty hitting starting players (depending on the pitcher) with only two lefty bats. You lose probably your most consistent, solid hitter this season.

For what? Some decent AA prospect?

No way.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    If they can truly sell high on Hatteberg, I'd be all for it. But if the deal is for some middling 4.50 ERA reliever, or some chump AA prospect who may never amount to a hill of beans, then forget it.
    Pfft, who in the world trades everyday players for middle relievers nowadays?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

The biggest danger in not trading Hatteberg is not the loss in offense for the Reds. It's that Krivsky will be extremely tempted to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal after the season. Hat is all but guaranteed to be overpaid next year -- I'd rather someone other than the Reds gets stuck with the bill.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The biggest danger in not trading Hatteberg is not the loss in offense for the Reds. It's that Krivsky will be extremely tempted to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal after the season. Hat is all but guaranteed to be overpaid next year -- I'd rather someone other than the Reds gets stuck with the bill.
    The biggest danger in trading Hatteberg is losing this season.

This league is horrible and the Reds need to get a playoff berth.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    The biggest danger in trading Hatteberg is losing this season.

This league is horrible and the Reds need to get a playoff berth.
    I thought the key to making the playoffs was shoring up the bullpen.

Are you saying it's Hatteberg?

I thought the key to making the playoffs was shoring up the bullpen.

Are you saying it's Hatteberg?
    Losing Hatteberg from an already depleted offense wouldn't help matters, that's for sure.

As far as what Krivsky might or might not do next year, that concerns me far less than the prospect of giving up arguably our most consistent hitter for a bag of Japanese beetles.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Losing Hatteberg from an already depleted offense wouldn't help matters, that's for sure.
    depends on if you expect this career season to continue or think a regression to the mean is at hand (his current OPS is over 100 points higher than his career best).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?