Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mays could be gone today?

Mays could be gone today?

I saw this on Cincy Post website.

Mays' tenure with Reds may be ending

By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

HOUSTON - Joe Mays remains listed as the Reds' probable starter for Saturday's game at Milwaukee, but it doesn't appear he will get the ball that evening.

In fact, there's a possibility the Reds will cut ties with Mays today, when they'll need a roster spot to activate catcher David Ross from the 15-day disabled list.

Asked Tuesday about Mays' status, manager Jerry Narron wouldn't tip his hand on what the Reds might do.

"If he's listed (to start), he's listed," said Narron.

Mays stepped into the Reds' rotation a little more than a month ago when Brandon Claussen went on the disabled list. After a solid first outing against the Mets in New York (six innings, two runs), the right-hander has been pounded his last three times out. In 14 innings over those starts, he has allowed 19 earned runs (a 12.21 ERA), 25 hits and 10 walks.

Though the Reds' offense managed to bail out Mays in his last outing against the Brewers on Saturday, the pitcher still hasn't earned a win in 10 starts between Kansas City and Cincinnati this season.

With the Reds in the midst of their most legitimate playoff run since 1999, there isn't an abundance of time to wait and see if Mays will come around. That every-game-counts urgency probably will be the impetus behind someone else making the start Saturday - the Reds have to try something different.

Louisville left-hander Michael Gosling (4-5, 4.50 ERA) would be on the standard four days' rest Saturday if the Reds chose to give him a one-start audition. Lefty Phil Dumatrait (4-4, 3.98) last pitched Sunday for Louisville, so he would be on five days' rest. Right-hander Justin Germano has the best numbers of the group, 8-6 with a 3.69 ERA, but he is slated to start Thursday for the Bats.

Claussen isn't a possibility, as he is scheduled to make a rehab start tonight for Louisville at Buffalo, but he could step in the next time the fifth starter's turn comes around for Cincinnati.

Narron was asked if the Reds would be willing to carry only 11 pitchers if they were to send out one of them to make room for Ross.

"There's a chance," he said. "Having (next) Monday off, it's a possibility."

The most logical scenario features the Reds designating Mays for assignment today to activate Ross, then waiting until the weekend to clear a spot for whoever ends up starting Saturday. That could be done by cutting a bench player to make room for one of the aforementioned pitchers, or the Reds could make another trade - perhaps dealing from their surplus of catchers to add another arm.

All that's certain is the wheels will be set in motion today.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mays could be gone today?

I vote for Dumatrait.

please please please let this happen

I hope so! Fire'em Wayne!

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I vote for Dumatrait.
    Now your talking.

I vote for Homer.....
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203
    I vote for Homer.....
    My heart and "win now" wants Homer so bad....but my head says no.

mlb.com: The Reds are expected to recall from a rehabilitation assignment and reinstate from the 15-day disabled list C David Ross (lower abdominal strain). The last two nights in rehab appearances at Class AA Chattanooga, Ross went 2-for-6 (2rbi, 2bb). A corresponding roster move will be announced when Ross arrives today at Minute Maid Park.

Joe Mays DFA Joe Mays DFA Joe Mays DFA Joe Mays DFA

I guess we should know in what? About an hour, hour and a half?

He's gone.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?