Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatteberg signed through '07

Hatteberg signed through '07

Per Marc's Blog:

Hatteberg signed through '07

HOUSTON -- Scott Hatteberg and the Reds have agreed to terms on a $1.5 million contract for 2007 that also includes a club option for 2008.

Hatteberg is making a base salary of $750,000 this year, plus up to $250,000 in bonuses based on plate appearances.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hatteberg signed through '07

Sounds good to me.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Well, I guess he won't be going anywhere.

Not a bad deal, IMO. I doubt he repeats his success of this year, but even if he doesn't that's not too much to pay for a role player.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

i guess we won't be seeing joey votto anytime soon. not a bad signing but it makes you wonder what is going to happen with playing time for rich and edwin.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

also it makes him easier to trade.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    i guess we won't be seeing joey votto anytime soon. not a bad signing but it makes you wonder what is going to happen with playing time for rich and edwin.
    One more year to be safe and keep it warm for Votto imo. I'm fine with it and you can't expect Votto to make that jump without a backup plan in place. If Votto takes 1B Hatte's still easily tradeable but with Narron still here we know that ain't happening. Hatte is the 1B bridge for '07 and its probably Votto's job in '08.

Even if Votto has a great spring and makes the big club, I have no problem with Hatteberg on the bench. Although we know Narron loves the scrappy veterans.

Ugh. When Aurilia resigns it means another year for EdE to have to fight to get playing time with both Aurilia and Hatteberg, with vets having the early upper hand in Narron's mind.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

also it makes him easier to trade.
    Yep -- though I imagine WK has Votto slated for some time in Louisville next year no matter what.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Reds are getting more bang with their buck with a platoon of Hatteberg and Aurilia than having Casey and his contract playing their full-time.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

This contract also can make it easier to trade Aurilla. This way Krivisky knows that Hatteberg is locked up.

A safe play for the Reds as far as the contract goes. $1.5M is relatively cheap. Heatteberg was supposed to be insurance off the bench this year, now he's signed on for that role again for next year at a reasonable cost.

Perhaps (hopefully) this will however, make it easier to trade Scott this season since he is signed at a workable contract.

Rem

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Aurilia

2006:
    1.110 OPS vs. LHP
    .664 OPS vs. RHP

Career
    .836 vs. LHP
    .746 vs. RHP

Hatteberg

2006:
    .763 OPS vs. LHP
    .947 OPS vs. RHP

career:
    .682 OPS vs. LHP
    .795 OPS vs. RHP

To me, this should be a platoon situation at 1B, thru the rest of 2006, with Hatteberg probably recieving 2/3 of the starts (vs. RHP) and Aurilia getting the other third (vs. LHP).

That gives RA 20+ starts at 1B and he can spell EE occasionally (once a week?) at 3B and Phillips occasionally at 2B.

Hats starts off 2007 as the mentor for Votto and his tradeable contract is dealt by the deadline (if he has value at that time).

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Well, I guess he won't be going anywhere.

Not a bad deal, IMO. I doubt he repeats his success of this year, but even if he doesn't that's not too much to pay for a role player.
    Actually that's a lot for a role player for Cincy. Maybe not in NY, but when your best starting pitchers are making $4 million per year and the BP is a revolving mess of DFAs, $1.5 mil is a lot.

I'm not liking this.

I like it - Hat seems like a good clubhouse guy an di like him as a shortterm solution til Votto's ready. Now Votto takes first when he's ready, not because he's forced to. You'd prefer a RH bat to back up the LH Votto when he does come up, but Hat can still be valuable off the bench. And, as someone else said, it makes him easier to trade at the deadline.

I like this deal. Aurillia, if he keeps taking ABs from EdE, is a completely different matter.

Turn Off Ads?