Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hatteberg Signed through 07

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Hatteberg Signed through 07

per Marc's blog.
    HOUSTON -- Scott Hatteberg and the Reds have agreed to terms on a $1.5 million contract for 2007 that also includes a club option for 2008.

Hatteberg is making a base salary of $750,000 this year, plus up to $250,000 in bonuses based on plate appearances.
    wow, that is interesting. Wonder if that's to make him more tradeable or if it kills the supposed rumor.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hatteberg Signed through 07

That's a 'play it safe' contract for the Reds.

Having said that, I'm not enamored with the idea of Scott Hatteberg at first for the next year or two.

Rem

I like it and I think it does kill the trade rumor. He's hot right now, let's ride him, whether he is next year or not, let's worry about that next year. He's solid and a bargain contract-wise. Good move by Krivsky and Co.

Believer since 1981

Good move. He has been productive this year, and allows a cheap option even if produciton falls off next year. Not too much to pay for a backup and Pinch hitter if Votto can make the jump, and a safe club option for 2008. Wayne always with the big picture in mind. Good job!!

Believer since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    That's a 'play it safe' contract for the Reds.

Having said that, I'm not enamored with the idea of Scott Hatteberg at first for the next year or two.

Rem

But are you okay with Hatte being our veteran pinch hitter for the next year or two at 1.5??

For one thing, it means they can trade him in the off-season.

I like it. This allows Votto to gain some more experience and work on defense at AAA next year. If Votto lights it up in Louisville, he can come up and Hatteberg can provide some good PH at bats and a fall back option. At least that's my wish. More likely, we won't see Votto get regular ABs until the 2008 season.

$1.5 is nothing these days.

Votto won't get a chance to play here any ways until he's 30+ as long as Narron and Krivsky are running the show. :P

I think this means Hatteberg is here for the long term.

And it makes a lot of sense, since it only costs 1.5 million.

It's obvious Dunn isn't going to move to 1b, so that doesn't give us a whole lot of options.

I hope Votto pans out, but I like having an insurance policy.

I doubt there was really a trade market for Hatteberg anyhow. Let's remember that this guy was unsigned in Jan or Feb. Seems like he jumped on the first offer he got from the Reds. He's played great this year, and even though I don't expect him to maintain it over the life of his contract, I have no problem signing him to a 1.5 million extension. Nice to reward people that have produced.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by tixe
    For one thing, it means they can trade him in the off-season.
    Unlike Arroyo's agent, I'd have insisted on language that addressed that.

Reds LIKE good contracts. My guess is that Hatteberg's ours until next year's trade deadline, at least.

Votto's more tradeable now...

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth
    But are you okay with Hatte being our veteran pinch hitter for the next year or two at 1.5??
    Yeah. That's not too much to pay for what he was supposed to being doing this year. (shrug) I'm more hopeful though that it actually makes Scott easier to trade since he is locked up for next year at a reasonable price.

Just my opinion.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    Votto's more tradeable now...
    What do you think we could get for Votto? He's had an incredible year and his value is at an all-time high.
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

Maybe Hatteberg will finally be able to string together two good seasons in a row at age 37.

My advice would be the Reds not convince themselves to make or not make any deals based on the notion that "Hey, we've got Scott Hatteberg locked up."
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Ugh...Votto must be a little upset. Maybe he and EE one day can have a few beers and talk about what could've been.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    My advice would be the Reds not convince themselves to make or not make any deals based on the notion that "Hey, we've got Scott Hatteberg locked up."
    my guess is that the Reds will bring in a chorus line of candidates to join Hat, once Votto's traded...

Turn Off Ads?