Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indians trade Broussard

Indians trade Broussard

Seattle acquires gets 1B Broussard for prospect
    By JOE MILICIA
    Associated Press Writer
    CLEVELAND (AP) — The Seattle Mariners acquired first baseman Ben Broussard from the Cleveland Indians on Wednesday for a minor league outfielder.
    The Indians sent Broussard and cash to the Mariners for Shin-Soo Choo and a player to be named later.
    Broussard hit .321 with 13 home runs and 46 RBIs in 88 games with the Indians, but was spotty defensively and committed seven errors.
    Choo has spent most of this season at Triple-A Tacoma where he hit .323 with 13 home runs and 48 RBIs. He played in four games for Seattle between July 3-13, going 1-for-11.
    The trade came a month after the Mariners got first baseman Eduardo Perez in a deal with the Indians for minor league infielder Asbrudal Cabrera on June 30
    Seattle is in last place in the AL West but only 3 1/2 games behind the division-leading Los Angeles Angels.
    Choo stole 26 bases in 30 attempts at Tacoma and was picked for the Pacific Coast League’s All-Star team. He was a member of Korea’s provisional roster for the World Baseball Classic in March.
    Seattle will travel to Cleveland to open a three-game series with the Indians on Friday night.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Indians trade Broussard

Good trade for the Indians. Victor Martinez is now the starting 1B for the Tribe and will be for the forseeable future. Broussard was expendable.

Hmmm... Choo or Branyan? Well done Bowden.
    Matta = Really good

Nice deal for the Tribe.

Bender update?
    Go Gators!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Very smart deal by Cleveland. Martinez was getting run on like crazy and Shoppach can step right in. The Angels were after Broussard as well. With Hatteberg locked up for next year, looks like the Pirates have a captive audience for Casey and Wilson.... pardon the pun.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Huh. And I specifically remember Mark Shapiro saying that he wanted to keep Martinez behind the plate if at all possible, because (quite rightly) his bat is more useful there. Very interesting.

Choo had been a prospect for several years but wasn't able to crack the M's outfield with Ibanez and Suzuki entrenched in the corners.

This has been coming for a while now. As soon as Martinez started playing some first base it was just a question of who the Tribe was going to get for BB despite the nice season he's having. Oddly enough, the M's now have the same platoon at first base that the Indians opened the season with---Ben and Edwardo Perez.

Would have liked to see the Angels get him but...(shrug)...no such luck.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 07-26-2006 at 05:56 PM.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Besides clearing first base for Martinez, Choo's not a bad ballplayer. Very nice minor league progression, .380+ OBPs every year except '03 that aren't overly batting average-driven, power is starting to come around. Can steal a base. Good glove, too. About to turn 24. He doesn't project as a star or anything, more like a Sizemore Lite, but that's a useful guy to have on a ballclub.
    Not all who wander are lost

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

He's only caught 13/79 base stealers this year (17%). I remember a few games this year where the Reds have run at will. It really can hurt teams bad. There's a tipping point with stolen bases where if you start to allow a high success rate, the frequency of attempts skyrockets and it really has an effect. Martinez was reaching that point. While it will hurt them not being able to leverage the position offensively, arguably the defensive aspect was hurting than more than the postition leverage was helping (particularly with their inability to field a high OPS guy at 1B anyways).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Broussard for a prospect (and $$)???

Wow! Why didn't the Reds do this? Seems like a cheap trade to me... now who's getting fleeced.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Besides clearing first base for Martinez, Choo's not a bad ballplayer. Very nice minor league progression, .380+ OBPs every year except '03 that aren't overly batting average-driven, power is starting to come around. Can steal a base. Good glove, too. About to turn 24. He doesn't project as a star or anything, more like a Sizemore Lite, but that's a useful guy to have on a ballclub.
    I've always wondered why the Mariners weren't higher on the guy. Looks like Choo will get a shot in LF for the Tribe and that he could be the team's Coco Crisp replacement.

Meanwhile, why is a team with Richie Sexson trading for Ben Broussard?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I've always wondered why the Mariners weren't higher on the guy. Looks like Choo will get a shot in LF for the Tribe and that he could be the team's Coco Crisp replacement.

Meanwhile, why is a team with Richie Sexson trading for Ben Broussard?
    I can't figure that out myself. I suppose they will DH one of the two. God knows Carl Everett isn't cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    I can't figure that out myself. I suppose they will DH one of the two. God knows Carl Everett isn't cutting it.
    Everett has been DFA'd. That pretty much covers the above questions.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Everett has been DFA'd. That pretty much covers the above questions.

Rem
    Didn't realize that. Now who do they DH, Sexson or Broussard?

I would think Richie is the DH.

Rem

I thought Broussard would be more valuable than what the Tribe got for him. He has hit primarily against RH in his career but he hits for average and does have some pop. I think if you give him a chance to play everyday he will surprise people. I guess we will see who got the better end of this deal in a year or two.

Turn Off Ads?