Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I think my kid turned into Casey

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I think my kid turned into Casey

Just had to share something that made me laugh tonight. My son's team (7-10 year old) had a playoff game tonight and he got his first ever game action at 1B.

I was coaching in RF and noticed him carrying on quite detailed conversations with every base runner who reached first. I couldn't help but laugh, he turned into Casey before my very eyes. The smile, talking to anyone who will pretend to listen, even left handed he is.

By the way, as I know you were wondering, our team (Blue Jays) came from down 7-2 to defeat the Pirates 11-10 to advance to the championship game against the hated Yankees Monday night.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I think my kid turned into Casey

a boy on the other team hit a nice triple last week, and after the play was over my 8 year-old third baseman gave the other team's hitter a huge, leaping high-5. I've never seen that before. I didn't have the heart to get all John McGraw on him. Let his parents ruin him later

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

1-thats a darn good person for a kid to turn into
    2-forgive my ignorance of little league but I'm curious about the "I was coaching in RF" part
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    1-thats a darn good person for a kid to turn into
    2-forgive my ignorance of little league but I'm curious about the "I was coaching in RF" part
    It was new to me as well. Each team has two coaches - at bat just like always 1st base/3rd base.

In the Field one coach is in Left-center, the other in Right-Center. You help the kids get aligned between plays and coach them on the correct bases to throw to, force, tag, etc. Its a great way to learn the game for the kids instead of trying to listen to 80 people yell from the bench what to do. The coach can walk over and "coach" or encourage after a tough play. It was wierd at first, but now I like it a bunch.
    Last edited by deltachi8; 07-26-2006 at 09:52 PM.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    ...even left handed he is...
    Teach that boy how to pitch!

I was sure this was about double plays.

Nice story.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

HA HA, had the same exact thought Joseph. Before reading your post I was going to say, "too bad about your kid hitting into all those DPs."

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    It was new to me as well. Each team has two coaches - at bat just like always 1st base/3rd base.

In the Field one coach is in Left-center, the other in Right-Center. You help the kids get aligned between plays and coach them on the correct bases to throw to, force, tag, etc. Its a great way to learn the game for the kids instead of trying to listen to 80 people yell from the bench what to do. The coach can walk over and "coach" or encourage after a tough play. It was wierd at first, but now I like it a bunch.
    That sounds like a great way to help teach the kids with the extra coaches. Do the players and the parents seem to like that new setup? Congratulations on your Son's team win.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862
    That sounds like a great way to help teach the kids with the extra coaches. Do the players and the parents seem to like that new setup? Congratulations on your Son's team win.
    Everyone seems to like it and the kids have fun, which is the most important thing. Its a great league - run by the Boys and Girls Clubs.

Does he takes 5 minutes before entering the batters box too??
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

This brings up a good point. What in god's name do hitters say to first basemen after they get on base?

It's not just Casey. You always see a guy who just got a base hit smilin' like crazy, jawin' with the 1B guy. Then the 1B guy starts laughin', and says something outta the corner of his mouth to the guy on base, and they both start grinnin', and tryin' to hide all the yucks in their glove or hands.

It's like major leaguers are all in on some big joke. A joke that the sucker fans in the stands aren't supposed to know.

Turn Off Ads?