Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Griffey Slide

Clay P

The Griffey Slide

Is Ken Griffey just in a slump or is the beginning of the end for Griffey's career? His batting average has slid 58 point in six weeks and he has just 3HR and 7RBI in July. He's swinging at a bunch of bad pitches and doesn't seem to have a clue. I believe he's in the last leg of his career. Narron needs to play Denorfia in CF tonite.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Griffey Slide

concur

Just my opinion but I am afraid Griffey's legs are about gone. I think this middle of season slide may be showing that. I hope I'm truly wrong and busts out this slump and leads the Reds to the playoffs. But i'm afraid he's not capable of doing that now at this point in his career.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Griffey is fine. He will come around eventually, and when he does, he will be a tear on NL pitching. He's had a bad month....give him a chance to break out of it. He has two months left this season.

Too much speculation on the issue! Many players have bad months. A-Rod has had a few this year...doesn't mean it's the end of his career....

University of Cincinnati

No kidding, he goes in a slump for a month and all the sudden people think he cant play anymore, thats ridiculous........
    THE University of Cincinnati

He'll be fine.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

No offense to Rich or Hat.. but they aren't the protection Griffey needs. Why should any pitcher offer Griff anything near the strike zone?
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

Griffey went through a slump like this at the beginning of last year, and everyone swore up and down that he was done. He'll be ok

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    No offense to Rich or Hat.. but they aren't the protection Griffey needs. Why should any pitcher offer Griff anything near the strike zone?
    You're most likely correct... but Jr.'s lack of willingness to be patient and/or take a walk concerns me greatly.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

All I know is Jr. needs to start hitting and soon if the Reds want a legit shot at the post season.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    Griffey went through a slump like this at the beginning of last year, and everyone swore up and down that he was done. He'll be ok
    May was Griffey's worst month for walks since 1989, July will be his second. combined both May and July have given him 2 less walks then all of June, in 52 more at bats.

In that time he only has 6 more hits than he had in June, that's a lot of outs.

Let's hope he wakes up.

The slump will continue until he quits swinging at bad pitches. He got himself out in every AB by chasing balls. Until he shows the patience to either a) wait to get a good pitch to hit or b) take a walk things aren't going to get better. Nobody can have success swinging at the pitches he has been hacking at.

wishing for him to revert is the triumph of hope over reason. It is a shame because unlike other years, this year the games count

Season #'s may look like .290+ obp, 80 RBI's, .240-.250 BA and 25-28 HR's?

How's that "just a slump?"

Declining player - waiting anxiously for Bruce at GABP here.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    Season #'s may look like .290+ obp, 80 RBI's, .240-.250 BA and 25-28 HR's?

How's that "just a slump?"

Declining player - waiting anxiously for Bruce at GABP here.
    I can't believe how everyone is bashing Griffey. Waiting anxioiusly for Bruce. Are you kidding me? Griffey is one of the greatest to EVER put on a baseball uniform. One bad stretch and we are writing him off. He's slumped before, and I don't know what is wrong with him now, but I have no doubt he will break out of it soon. Personally, I think his poor protection (Aurilia) is making him impatient at the plate. At the start of the season Dunn was behind him, and he was hitting fine. I know its been an amazing slump, but I'm not ready to rush out an all century player for someone who is still playing A ball just yet.

Turn Off Ads?