Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saturday's starter has been determined

Saturday's starter has been determined

But the CIA (Cincinnati Intelligence Agency) is not ready to tell anyone. Not sure why it is such a big secret...though Jerry said it won't be Homer.

HOUSTON - So, since it's not going to be Joe Mays, the question is: Who will it be?

The Reds designated Mays for assignment Wednesday to make room on the roster for catcher David Ross, who returned from the disabled list.

Mays had been listed as Saturday's starter against the Brewers in Milwaukee, but instead he is through as a Red.

"Since Joe Mays is no longer here, Saturday will be TBA - to be announced - or, what was the other one?" Narron said.

To be determined, Narron was told.

Narron went on to say that TBA is more accurate. The Reds have determined who will start Saturday, but they are not ready to announce it.

Narron did say it would not be Double-A phenom Homer Bailey.

That would seem to leave three choices, all on the 40-man roster and all at Triple-A Louisville: left-handers Michael Gosling and Phil Dumatrait or right-hander Justin Germano.

Saturday is Gosling's normal day, but his numbers are the worst of the three (4-5, 4.50 ERA). Dumatrait would be going with an extra day's rest. He's 4-4 with a 3.98 ERA.

Germano's turn was Wednesday. But Brandon Claussen made a rehab start in his spot.

Germano is 8-6 with a 3.69 ERA and he's won his last five decisions. The Reds could have him throw a bullpen session today and have him pitch Saturday on extra rest.

The fifth starter's spot is about to become much more important. Because of off days and the All-Star break, Mays made only four starts over a one-month period.

That won't be the case in August. The Reds have only one off day in the month.

"In August, we can't hide anything," Narron said.

Mays was 0-1 with a 9.45 ERA over his four starts. He had a 1.29 ERA in three relief appearances before moving into the rotation.

"It wasn't ideal circumstances," Narron said. "He came here basically as a long man. (Brandon) Claussen went on the disabled list and (Mays) stepped into that spot. He wasn't able to pitch every fifth day."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...607270336/1071

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Saturday's starter has been determined

I hope it's Dumatrait. We've already seen the other two.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I'm guessing Germano.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    Yeah, and apparently one chance is all you get.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Jeff Shaw.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

It's Denorfia, I just know it is. The Brewers don't stand a chance. For gosh sakes, at least let them prepare for their fate and make peace with their collective dieities. Oh the humanity!

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Germano's start was skipped and he is not listed as a probable so I imagine it has to be him.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Read elsewhere that Germano was actually supposed to go today since Claussen went yesterday, but the Bats website is showing Michalak as today's starter, so it looks like Germano indeed. We'll know soon enough, Bats play at 1:00 today.

what about harang, didnt he throw great earlier in the year on 3 days rest against the brewers?
    i hate the cardinals

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    Was there something about Germano's scoreless inning which soured you?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I was going to say Germano made more sense, because Brewers hit better vs. LHP. But its about even .764 vs. .767 OPS.

Earlier in the season there was a marked difference. Brewers were KILLING lefties. Guess that changed when Claussen went on the DL.

Series looks very challenging anyway:

Ohka vs. Milton (been there done that)
    Davis vs. whoever (Davis has owned us)
    Sheets vs. Harang (two very good pitchers).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I would go with Germano unless they bring up Durmatrait to showcase in a trade.

Okay, I shouldn't let this leak, but I'm going to let you all in on my little secret. Me and my 60 mph fastball and 55 mph sometimes it curves ball will be on the mound Saturday night. I impressed the Reds with my control and they figured it was worth the risk. Plus, I'm so slow, I could probably throw off the Brewers timing for at least a few innings.
    I can't tell you the details of my contract, but I'm not quitting my day job yet. I was going to use Scott Boras to negotiate for me, but after seeing what happened to Lopez, I just signed what they gave me.
    Anyway, gotta go and stretch and then catch my Midwest Express flight to Milwaukee.
    Last edited by Strikes Out Looking; 07-27-2006 at 12:32 PM.
    Win the Division

Man Pills

This secretive crap for tools.

Playing conspircy theroist for a while, does this article give any more weight to the wild speculation of a trade happening? In other words, they know who the starter is, but because the deal is not finalized they can't announce it.

That's a wild, complete shot in the dark that I fully admit is very unlikely. But...dare to dream I suppose.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?