Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Put Dunn back in 2nd batting slot

Put Dunn back in 2nd batting slot

If Dunn bats second last night, I believe we would have scored more runs. He is seeing the baseball very well now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Put Dunn back in 2nd batting slot

Freel
    Phillips
    Dunn
    JR.
    EE/RA
    Hatte/RA
    Ross
    Clayton

That took me about 1 minute to type out. I don't the difficulty in finding a good, consistent lineup.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

if he bats second he would get more at bats too. Last night he would have hit with two on and 0 outs in the 9th. (Theoretically)
    Last edited by cincy09; 07-27-2006 at 11:39 AM.
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

I guess none of you guys are familiar with the butterfly theory?
    Last edited by RBA; 07-27-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Dunn is absolutely awesome in the #2 slot. 78 ABs, .346 AVG, .420 OB, .641 SLG.

In the #3 slot, his OPS drops to a pedestrian .854.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Dunn is absolutely awesome in the #2 slot. 78 ABs, .346 AVG, .420 OB, .641 SLG.

In the #3 slot, his OPS drops to a pedestrian .854.
    But is it the slot or the fact that when Jr bats behind him he does better? My guess is, when Dunn has hit third, Griffey was out of the lineup the majority of the time. I think if you moved Dunn to the #3 slot and move Jr to the #4 slot it would have the same effect. It would also allow Dunn to bat with the chance of more runners being on base than he is seeing now in the #2 position.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules
    But is it the slot or the fact that when Jr bats behind him he does better? My guess is, when Dunn has hit third, Griffey was out of the lineup the majority of the time.
    Given that, how much of Junior's could be related to hitting in front of Aurilia? Even with Aurilia's recent streak, teams would probably still rather face him than Junior. Maybe teams aren't giving in to Junior but he's not being patient and swinging at bad pitches.

If you bat Clayton below the 7 slot, he's going to moan about it, and as he has always showed, he gives up once that happens and bats terribly.

Probably the ideal batting order would be:

Freel
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Griffey
    EE
    Hatte/RA
    Clayton
    Ross
    Pitcher

Right now, if they're going to leave Griffey in the 3 hole, they have to bat done 4th. Griffey needs protection in the worst sort of way.

As well as Dunn is hitting now, Junior would see much better pitches to hit now and that might be a way to jump start him.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Right now, if they're going to leave Griffey in the 3 hole, they have to bat done 4th. Griffey needs protection in the worst sort of way.

As well as Dunn is hitting now, Junior would see much better pitches to hit now and that might be a way to jump start him.
    Then Dunn has no protection and he may struggle. Then again, maybe the result would simply be more walks for Adam and more RBI opps for RA and Hat.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Then Dunn has no protection and he may struggle. Then again, maybe the result would simply be more walks for Adam and more RBI opps for RA and Hat.
    Dunn can still take a walk. They need to try anything and everything to get Junior going again.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Dunn can still take a walk. They need to try anything and everything to get Junior going again.
    How about sending him to hypnotist?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    How about sending him to hypnotist?
    If it'll help get him going again, I'll pay the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules
    But is it the slot or the fact that when Jr bats behind him he does better? My guess is, when Dunn has hit third, Griffey was out of the lineup the majority of the time. I think if you moved Dunn to the #3 slot and move Jr to the #4 slot it would have the same effect. It would also allow Dunn to bat with the chance of more runners being on base than he is seeing now in the #2 position.
    I think it has more to do with Dunn himself. He looks more aggressive in the #2 hole, and it's working. He's taking 4.08 Pitches per Plate Appearance as a 2-hitter vs. 4.26 in the #3 spot and 4.18 in the #4 spot. It could be the result of getting better pitches to hit, or it could be that he's jumping on hittable pitches early in the count instead of waiting for the perfect pitch to drive.

As for hitting with more runners on base, batting Dunn behind Phillips' .337 OBP will not be all that beneficial.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I posted this in a different thread. I still think it is our best team/lineup for this year and beyound.

Play Hat/Aur platoon -1B, Freel 2B, Phillips - SS, EE - 3B, Dunn - LF, Deno - CF, Jr - RF, Hot hand - C every day except for occasional rests for these regulars. Best to win now AND for the future.

LINEUP:

Freel
    Dunn
    EE
    Jr
    Deno
    Hat/Aur
    Phillps
    Hot Hand Catcher(Val only against RH pitchers)
    Pitcher

Turn Off Ads?