Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would You Trade Bailey For Dontrelle Willis?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Willis Could Mean Getting To The Playoffs

69 36.70%
  • No, Remember the John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander deal

119 63.30%
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Would You Trade Bailey For Dontrelle Willis?

Would You Trade Bailey For Dontrelle Willis?

Would you package Homer Bailey in a deal to acquire LHP Dontrelle Willis? The Reds would have control of Willis for the remainder of this season and all of 2007.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would You Trade Bailey For Dontrelle Willis?

Nah. I would for Brandon Webb though.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    This is one heck of a decision. Do you trade a kid that could be the ace of your staff for the next 5 to 10 years? Or do you get that young lefty that would solidify your rotation for the remainder of this season and in 2007?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Established, quality major league talent trumps unproven minor league talent every single time.

Sure, sometimes the minor leaguer ends up being more productive, but for every John Smoltz there's a Rob Bell or Brandon Claussen. Give me Dontrelle, thanks.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Didn't we have a chance to draft Webb and went for someone else instead?

As for Willis?

A BIG FAT "No".
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Still saying no here.

I think Homer is going to pay dividends for the Reds, whether it's as a #1 or a mid-rotation guy, and he's going to do it for more years and less money than Willis would.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I would. The problem is, given the package thats being discussed with the Mets (Milledge, Heilman and Humber), the package we would have to offer would be more like Bailey, Encarnacion and Votto. And that, my friends, would be too steep of a price for me.
    Go BLUE!!!

Florida wants a young CF, apparently. The Reds would have to go Bruce (who is likely a corner OF anyway) and Bailey to even compete with the Mets offer. Bad idea, IMO.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I'd have to say no because I don't think this team, even with Willis, is an elite team. Nor do I think they can reach that status in 2007. Could this team possibly win the World Series by adding Willis? I guess it's possible because non-elite teams have won before, but I don't think adding any one player is going to improve their chances above 'minimal'.

Bailey may or may not become as good as Willis some day, but I know you will never develop a great major league pitcher if you trade away your best minor league talent. And given the Marlins track record in acquiring great young players I don't think I would ever trade them a minor leaguer that they want anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    I would. The problem is, given the package thats being discussed with the Mets (Milledge, Heilman and Humber), the package we would have to offer would be more like Bailey, Encarnacion and Votto. And that, my friends, would be too steep of a price for me.
    BA recently anointed Bailey the top pitching prospect in the minors. Meanwhile Milledge has got defensive issues, Heilman's a middle reliever with a 4.32 ERA and Humber's yet to reclaim quality prospect status.

Do you want a bunch of maybes and if-onlys for Dontrelle Willis or do you want the best pitching prospect in the minors?

At least that would be my pitch.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

A Marlins-Mets trade would be sweet -- big money monolith vs rebuilding wunderkinds.

Homer's trade value right now is as high as it is ever going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    Homer's trade value right now is as high as it is ever going to be.
    hopefully not

Uh a proven lefty ace that is more than a 1 year rental for a prospect... himmm yes!

Bailey hasnt made a start in the majors yet. Willis hasnt really had any arm problems and is a proven ace and a strike out pitcher... exactly what we'd want.

He would shoot to #1 in the rotation

picture
    Willis, Harang, Arroyo... thats the best top 3 in the NL and in the top 5 of the majors. Willis is a great guy and a team player...

honestly the only thing wrong with the kid is his contract end in 07, i think we can convince him to resign if we make the playoffs

Turn Off Ads?